Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Saving a workspace includes the path of all workbooks.

This is just plain awkward and non-transparent to the user. When I save my workspace Excel thinks it knows best by including the full path in the resulting .xlw file. If I make a copy of the workspace and all files in a new folder the workspace continues to "point" to the original location and opens those instead.
    There must be some means of making this information available and editable by the user.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. [BUG] Excel 2016 update 16.0.6769.2040

the more you save a file, the less you can open it. it takes a longer time to open until you can't open it anymore. Impossible to work in this conditions. Please make an update because to reinstall doesn't fix the problem.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. saving to onedrive

If I have 2+ excel files open, and I close one, confirm saving, then it uploads to onedrive. While this dialog box window is open, I'm locked out of my other excel sheets until the file finishes saving to onedrive. If the file is large (100+MB), then this can lock me out for several minutes.

I'd like all excel file activity to be contained in that window, and not interrupt or prevent activities in the other excel file windows.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow files to load from browser.

Before the upgrade to Office 365 (I think) we had Office 2010. I was able to go to the file search window and select the file I wanted to open. A simple double click opened the file in Excel, Word, Power Point, or whatever.

Now, the same action opens the application, but there is no file. I have to use the "File" menu within the program and search a second time to find the file and open it the long way.

Please correct this error and do an update.

Thanks,
    Kam

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Simultaneous file saving output.

Usually I save one excel file into an htm and pdf format. and I have to repeat the process of saving. How about there could be an option where a user can save a file simultaneously to different outputs. In my case. If I could save my file as an html and pdf at the same time, that would be truly helpful in my work. Totally saves a lot of time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Fix problem that changes linked Excel file location

When creating a link between data in 2 Excel sheets without OneDrive, the program links to the file location on the hard drive. Once OneDrive is in place, Excel forgets the hard drive location and only links to the OneDrive web location... so when you open the file the data link to the other file fails. This is a MAJOR problem. This renders one of the most vital functionality of Excel useless!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Use system date format in the recently used files list

The recently used files list currently uses USA date format m/d/yyyy instead of the user's system setting. It should use the user's setting. Not everyone lives in the USA!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. "Copy link to sheet" to create a shortcut to the sheet

I would love to have the ability to right click on a sheet tab and get an option for “Copy link to sheet.” I use this feature all the time in OneNote to help get people to the right tab/page… It would be great to have a quick way to pass people a hyperlink that directly opens a specific sheet.

Instead I find myself giving people directions to navigate to the “xyz” sheet.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Save to current folder instead of "Document Library"

In a corporate environment you often have 1000+ people on the same server, with 10+ levels of subfolder defining your little part of it. So, it's a REAL PAIN when every time you want to save a copy of a workbook to your folder (or maybe a new subfolder of the current folder's parent) that you are always thrown out to the "Document Library" so that you have to navigate back through all the subfolders to where you just were. The "Document Library" is a fixed location, so it should be accessible via a button on the Save As dialog,…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Really badly need "Total Editing Time" as a property.

It would be very helpful if Excel could record the total editing time spent working on a spreadsheet. Or if Excel could better still, automatically log each time period spent editing a spreadsheet. Helps when billing customers and giving volunteer hours as I do a lot with Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Pin newly opened files to visual area (or just the upper left hand corner)

I open my excel to cross over multiple screens, but when i open a file its a crap shoot as to where it appears across the screens. I know the file is open as I can see it in the list of open files but beats me where it is. I have to go to "View/Arrange All" and then vertical to be able to find the file. But doing that moves all my other files that I have placed in my work area for a reason.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Save As Cell Contents, instead of the default "Book1.xlsx"

Often I have typed a heading in a workbook, and then had to re-type the same or nearly the same information when saving the workbook. MS Word has an intelligent guess at the Save As option by using the first words in the document, but Excel just offers Book1.xlsx. What if we could have Save, Save As, and Save As Cell Contents? In other words, select your chosen cell, click on Save As Cell Contents, and you have your desired file name with no duplication of effort.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Remove folder depth limitation when saving

Excel can open files from anywhere, but has an arbitrary limit on the folder depth/number of characters in path, forcing you to save to an intermediate temporary location.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. When loading tab delimited Text

When loading/opening tab delimited Text document that has fields such as 150:10 200:10 it automatically treats them as date fields and adds a trailing :00 to the end so it would look like 200:10:00, this really disrupts the development of my game and I have to keep the excel documents as the master copy.

It would be nice to be able to load the text document as is and not have any "formatting" added automatically.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Sleepy Drive Support and (Automatic as in hidden) Continous Saving

I have a NAS box on my local network, and I've purposefully set the Hard Disk Drive array to sleep when inactive, in a bid to extend the life of them. This NAS is my primary file server. In addition to this, I sleep my PC every night rather than leave it on or turn it off.

This has an adverse side affect with Office Desktop, including Word and Excel. I experience more with Excel as I often have a 'todo' project management sheet open continuously.

The issue is that when I go to save the sheet, (or document) Office…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Changes to Read-Only Mode

In Read-Only mode for Excel 2013 you can still enter data into cells, at least when opening from a Sharepoint site. However, they information just doesn't save. Since sharepoint opens Excel in Read-Only as default and there is no prompt, my employees tend to not notice and enter their data and don't realize it is in Read-Only and therefore lose all their changes as soon as they exit the application. Read-Only mode either needs a prompt that shows up in the middle of the screen asking if the User wants to open in edit mode OR Read-Only mode needs to…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Special format save

Low priority. You make it possible to save a special format but it only saves in that workbook. Make it possible so I can use it in any workbook once saved.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 11 12 13 15 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base