Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Options for AutoSave

The AutoSave function is a great idea!!
    Just not in practice...
    In my business we re-use the same invoices made in excel for the same jobs, however save them as a new file each time in order to keep a record of the previous invoice.
    The new AutoSave feature is extremely dangerous in this regard.
    If I, or someone else, does not remember to turn off AutoSave, or save as a new file BEFORE making new changes, we LOSE our previous invoice.

Have options for AutoSave, the most important one being, DEFAULT OFF rather than default on.

16 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Declined vs locked suggestions

The entire point of this site is to collect user feedback. I absolutely support your ability to review suggestions, and in some cases, decline them (at least for the foreseeable future).

However, your site is set up in a way that declined suggestions are also locked and do not allow future votes. I'd like to suggest that you leave the voting open on ideas, even if they are declined. Otherwise you are effectively saying that you want feedback on customer needs, but only if it pleases you.

You might find that a declined idea continues to gain so many votes,…

4 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • please give the option to remove autosave from excel

there should be a way to turn auto save off permanently. it saving over files if I forget to manually turn it off. this is becoming a problem and a feature that I don't particular need or want. please set up the feature so you can remove it permanently not just turn it off on individual work sheets. thanks

6 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Disable option for new auto-save feature in Office 365 version 1707.

Please add a kill switch in the menu options for the new 'auto-save' feature. I absolutely hate the fact that this is enabled on all files stored on the cloud by default; it causes the timestamp on archived OneDrive and SharePoint workbooks to change to today's date immediately upon opening, which makes it look like something was changed after the fact. This has a huge impact on organizational reporting and I'm surprised that no one else is raising **** about it yet. This is causing me an awful lot of trouble, to the point where I am trying to figure…

10 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • YOU HAVE RUINED EXCEL 2016

WHY CAN I NOT OPEN MORE THAN ONE SPREADSHEET INSIDE EXCEL< WHY WOULD I WANT MULTIPLE WINDOWS THIS IS A JOKE

COMPLETELY UNPRODUCTIVE

38 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Auto Save

The new "Auto-Save" function is a good idea but there should be an option for the user to set the default. I would prefer that it is defaulted to OFF.

I often do what ifs that I dont want to save and having to remember to turn it off each time is a pain.

Additionally, it updates the time stamp of when it was last saved. This is also misleading if you just open a file to look at and later you think the file was modified from the last time you actually changed anything.

I would suggest to change…

6 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • turn off autosave

Allow users to turn off mandatory autosave for all Office files at once. It causes accidental data loss

3 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Autosort the document recovery pane by date (descending)

The document recovery window can really be a life saver, but it can also be extremely frustrating. However the fix for this seems like it would be mind-numbingly easy for one of your office developers.

Please update the document recovery view so the files are sorted from most recent to oldest in the window. Today there is absolutely no logic to how the files appear in this window, and trying to find documents that I've worked with today can take a while if you aren't always clearing your recovery pane. I generally don't erase my recovery pane, in case I…

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• more intelligent autosave default

Hi there, the new auto save function causing more problems than it is resolving because it is on by default regardless of the nature of the workbooks. I recommend that the user is rather prompted to enable autosave on workbooks with macros or with file sizes > 1Mb instead of enabling it by default.

3 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't add "copy of" to file name in save as dialog

When I save my file with a new name "Save As" it always adds "Copy of " to the file name. I don't always catch this because it's not expected behaviour, and that part of the UI is quite busy.

I never want to add a prefix to the file name automatically, it breaks file sorting and I can't find the new file.

I'm usually just saving the file as the next revision.

2 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • file is locked for editting error but it cannot be since it's a local file

i keep getting "<filename> is locked for editting by <user> when i open a local file. this is new behavior since about a month ago (the last time I used excel). the file cannot be opened on any other computer since it's not a network share. the file has always been synched to dropbox but I never used to get this error, so it must be something changed in excel. Please take a look at recent changes. didn't i see some notification about being able to have 2 people update the same spreadsheet at the same time? i'd look in…

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• When autosave is on, there should be an option in 'save a copy' to revert changes to the server version

I frequently start a session by opening the previous iteration of an existing file, intending to create a new one. Now that autosave is on by default, I end up overwriting the old version before doing save a copy. Then I have to go to the onedrive.com UI to restore the old version.

What I want is an option in the 'save a copy' experience that will also revert this session's changes to the old file. So that I am back to where I want to be. Over time I could learn to 'save a copy' when I start my…

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• allow multiple files on one program

like on older version excel 2010 and older you can work multiple worksheet in one program.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow closing Excel with unsaved workspaces

Text editors like Notepad++ and Visual Studio Code allow users to close the application with unsaved files which come back the next time you open the application. That would be useful functionality in Excel and perhaps other Office applications as well since you might have to close the application (such as for a computer restart) when you are not yet ready (or unsure) to save the work in progress as a file.

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Request you save and close

We often make use of shared workbooks, but often we desire to turn this off leading to the old read-only and be notified situation. Can we have a button that requests the R/W user close down so that the RO user can make some changes. Often the open file such as a drawing register isn't being used and left open accidentally

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Open new window

I usually deal with multiple Excel files at the same time. Working multiple files, each in a separate window, is far easier. I know there is a work around to open a new instance of Excel and open the file in that new instance of excel but that adds extra steps. Would very much prefer that Excel worked like Word--by default every file opened in a new window.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Get numbers back to Most Recently Used instead of "Y3"

In the last update of Word, Excel and Powerpoint the Most Recently Used file list has changed with respect to shortcut keys. Instead of being able to use "Alt+F => R => [number 1 to 9]" you have to type "Y3" to get the first file in the list. This is completly useless and in no way an improvement.

Please bring back the ability to number them from "1" instead of "Y3"

4 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• xls corrupts upon opening after last update

since the last update, xls files open, flicker, then report either as corrupt or crash excel and (Protected) mode. the file may or may not ever open after this. this only happens on systems with the latest updates installed. having another user save the file as xlsx generally works. this impacts companies that have been using your products for decades. you surely cannot expect us to never be able to open old spreadsheets because you want everyone on 2016 and subscription based. i am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume this is a programming error.

2 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Bring back the ability to share workbooks over a network. I will NEVER want my documents in the cloud.

I see that sharing workbooks has been removed and is now tagged as "legacy." I don't care if it's called co-authoring, but I will not move my documents to the cloud. Give us the ability to share OUR documents over OUR network. I had to dig for this command, create my "custom" button and put it back under the Review tab.

2 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't show both recent files from OneDrive and local

For every opened file I see two copies in the recent list. Personally I find it annoying and always select a local copy specifically. If needed OneDrive then takes care or even Excel uploads it automatically. But the list itself looks clogged up. This applies to all office apps.

2 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base