Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Eliminate the new "Save your changes to this file?" dialog box

In the last week, whenever I close down a new Excel file without saving it, a new dialog box appears asking "Save changes to this file?". Whereas previously I could use keyboard shortcuts to immediately close down a file (Ctrl-F4, N), this no longer works. Instead, the new box interprets the "N" keypress as something to be entered into the "File Name" text field.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

9 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Asterisk in title bar next to filename to denote changes have been made without saving

Asterisk in title bar next to filename to denote changes have been made without saving

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Colour-coded Recent files

I have both personal files and work files on my Open > Recent Files list. I would like to be able to colour-code them so that they are easier to distinguish, or even Categorise them with headings so that I can see the difference.

This would be great for all Microsoft Apps (Word, Project, Excel, etc)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow Auto save on local drives & Network drives

Please Allow "Auto save" on local drives & Network drives. At the moment this facility seems to be available for files opened or saved to OneDrive only.

It is paramount for users to have consistent operation irrespective of the file location.

Please consider this change ASAP, thanks.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Auto Save Option to change rev of file when opening

When a file is opened with autosave, alert the user and recommend to save the file with a revision name or a new name. In many cases, users open files to use them as templates and do not intend to change the original file. IF the file is not on sharepoint, you cannot go back to the previous version and you loose the original file. I instructed my staff to try to do save as or copy as right when they open a file, but it is hard to remember to do that. And of course, we want the auto…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Use ISO8601 when exporting dates to CSV files

When exporting to a CSV file, it would be best to export dates in ISO8601 format (or a specific date format if the user has set one). CSV is about making things machine readable and this avoids the ambiguity of American vs British date formats. I regularly deal with local councils and they will export a CSV file from Excel and then be very confused as to why the date format has changed when they've explicitly set it. If you can't preserve their chosen format, please default to ISO8601 to reduce headaches.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. In File menu, add an option to 'Save & Close' in one step.

In File menu, add an option to 'Save & Close' with one click. Currently, one has to either:

Click on 'Save', then click on 'Close', OR

Click on 'Close', and then answer the question "Do you want to save the changes etc etc." with another click.

With the option to 'Save & Close', this would be done with one initial click.

Multiplied by a million files being 'Save(d)' and 'Close(d)' around the world every day, that's a lot of clicks!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Option To Refresh Stock Data When File Opens

It would be terrific to have the option on a per-file basis to automatically refresh our Stock data types when our workbooks open. I would envision this being a similar functionality to what we have available to us in the Pivot Table options.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Enable multiple workbooks in a single Excel instance.

Please update Excel so that it can open multiple workbooks in a single instance, like it used to. Having multiple instances open hinders my efficiency: I can't ctrl-Tab between workbooks and I can't Paste-Special from different Excel instances the same way I can within the same instance.

Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Indicate manual/automatic save status of a specific version history snapshot

In the version history view, have a small icon/note to indicate if a version was manually saved by the user or automatically saved. Perhaps replacing the current pen icon with the disk icon for manually triggered saves. This would help users navigate to key versions of frequently edited documents, whose version histories can be incredibly cluttered and difficult to find a specific/important version.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Save directly using a path+filename instead of going through 3 dialog boxes

In general, for all MSO applications, stop the save to web default dialog, which then needs an additional click for the regular save dialog box, and then find the tiny "more" line to input a directory. It used to be you just enter a path+filename (presumably the path is copied from Windows Explorer already) and now, it's multiple steps!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Save all opened workbooks at once

Save all opened workbooks at once

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Open Excel at the pinned list

Make it possible to open Excel at the pinned list rather that the recent files list

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Scroll thru "Pinned" Worksheets

When you right-click the Excel application in the taskbar, a list of "Pinned" and previously-opened worksheets pops up. It looks like we're limited to a small number of either Pinned or Recently viewed sheets, so it'd be nice to be able to expand that list and be able to scroll in the small window (when you right click the app in taskbar). I'm aware that you're able to hit File - Open to view past sheets, but this would be nice for jobs that require a small number of sheets to reference that are used on a regular basis.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Quick Access Feature when Saving

I submitted a question via that Answers path and I was unable to resolve my issue so I was requested to provide feedback. Unfortunately the feedback method within Excel doesn't work due to security restrictions at work so I will try here.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_other-mso_win10-mso_o365b/change-save-as-behavior-in-office-365-proplus/be939fee-3990-4266-8eb4-dc5969290cd7?messageId=100bada0-6dcc-4504-8299-1357192afbec

There is my initial post to Answers which references another users similar request. The recommended solution didn't work with our implementation if you check the comments on that post.

It is very frustrating that the quick access feature which replaced favorites in older versions of Windows no longer acts as a "quick" access. Any help would be…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add "Open Read Only" when right clicking a OneDrive synch'd file in File Explorer

We have spreadsheets with dynamic formulas (e.g. today()) and sometimes we just want to read the contents and not save a new version. The files are on SharePoint and synched with OneDrive, so appear in File Explorer. We'd like to be able to right click and open read only from the File Explorer.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add "Open Read Only" when right clicking a OneDrive synch'd file in File Explorer

We have large spreadsheets with dynamic formulas (e.g. today()) and sometimes we just want to read the contents and not save a new version. The files are on SharePoint and synched with OneDrive, so appear in File Explorer. We'd like to be able to right click and open read only from the File Explorer.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add a checkbox to all save dialogues that allows you to copy the path just like the Pictures save dialogue.

Being able to copy the path from the save dialogue allows a very easy way to then attach the saved file to some other application.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Sequence of folders

When I want to open a folder, the list of folders does not start with the most recently used at the top. I cannot see a way of changing this default. The most recently used folder that is most likely to be the one I want to use again.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. FILE | OPEN menu and screen

Just got updated and the pinned items on the File|Open screen got bigger causing the non-pinned items to shove off the screen.

Here's the thing: There's a whole right half of that screen that is not used for anything. Nothing.

I'd like the pinned items to display to the right and non-pinned MRU list type items to display to the left. So File and its weird submenu, a couple inches non-pinned half the remainder, pinned the other half of the remainder.

Or switch pinned and non-pinned, though I'd prefer the above.

But not the world of scroll six feet down…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 14 15
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base