Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. "TIME TRAVEL" FEATURE.

Excel To include with time travel feature.This will facilitate to access back the file even if saved for erroneous data which will enable to access file for previous times status like 5min, 10min, 15min etc. back or before. In this way even file saved with heavy mistakes can be retrieved back to previous status and can be utilised for further work without redoing as whole.It is like restore to some known good configuration as in windows registry.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Eliminate the new "Save your changes to this file?" dialog box

In the last week, whenever I close down a new Excel file without saving it, a new dialog box appears asking "Save changes to this file?". Whereas previously I could use keyboard shortcuts to immediately close down a file (Ctrl-F4, N), this no longer works. Instead, the new box interprets the "N" keypress as something to be entered into the "File Name" text field.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. "automatic except for data tables"

You should be able to save the Excel Options > Formulas > Calculation Options > Workbook Calculation setting permanently. No matter what workbook was opened first or last.

The problem is when you use data tables often (in my company's case they are in every spreadsheet for a specific department), across many different workbooks, it is annoying to have to constantly turn the setting to "Automatic Except for Data Tables" every time you open a file that didn't have this setting last. It slows the spreadsheet down considerably. I just want to turn it off and keep it off. No…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Open Excel at the pinned list

Make it possible to open Excel at the pinned list rather that the recent files list

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Use ISO8601 when exporting dates to CSV files

When exporting to a CSV file, it would be best to export dates in ISO8601 format (or a specific date format if the user has set one). CSV is about making things machine readable and this avoids the ambiguity of American vs British date formats. I regularly deal with local councils and they will export a CSV file from Excel and then be very confused as to why the date format has changed when they've explicitly set it. If you can't preserve their chosen format, please default to ISO8601 to reduce headaches.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Enable multiple workbooks in a single Excel instance.

Please update Excel so that it can open multiple workbooks in a single instance, like it used to. Having multiple instances open hinders my efficiency: I can't ctrl-Tab between workbooks and I can't Paste-Special from different Excel instances the same way I can within the same instance.

Thanks

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Excel should open csv files with needing an import dialog

Excel used to open csv files easily without going through an import dialog where I have to tell Excel that it uses commas to separate cells. Hello? "comma separated values" = csv! If I open a csv file from Windows File Explorer, it opens to Excel no problem, no import dialog. So why, when I open the same file from Excel should I need an import dialog? Please go back to the easier to use csv file opening from Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Smart Auto Discard of AutoRecovered file

If the recovered file is identical to the most recently saved version, then there is no reason to even bother opening and looking at the recovered file.

Furthermore, when the files are not identical, then it would be useful to have an option to to do a compare and merge between the saved file and the recovered file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. When you say a file is blocked because it is in use by another user, can you not specify who that user is?

Periodically the program says I can't use or save a file because it is blocked by another user when I know that I am the only user and that I have only one cop open. If you state who or where the 'other use' is occurring I might be able to sort out the problem

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. stop the autosave feature

stop the autosave feature.
    it wrecks havoc in my work. It MUST be OFF by default and NOT on !!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. When excel opens you should show PINNED files before showing RECENT files; what's the point of having pinned items? Am I missing something

Open excel showing PINNED files first. What's the point of showing RECENT files before showing PINNED files? that's totally inefficient and illogical. Or, am I missing some setting to fix that problem. If so where's the setting?

You have recent files all over the place, like Quick access etc.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. "Always create backup copy" general option

Pleae provide the user option to specify that a backup copy should be created when saving, as a default for ALL files (as Word does) rather than having to remember to specify this in a file-by-file basis.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. How do I prevent Excel from redisplaying multiple minimized open documents when opening a new document?

Excel 365, minimized workbook pops up when opening another workbook from explorer.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow workbooks to open in full screen, like it used to, not just tiled, horizontal, vertical, & cascade

When opening multiple workbooks, allow an option for each workbook to be opened full screen - tiled is too small to be able to pick out the individual workbook to be viewed and then move to the next needed workbook when doing accounting functions, horizontal, vertical, & cascade cause similar issues. The workbooks opened this way in Office 2010 and then you could choose to change it to a different opening setting if you preferred. Please go back to the full page opening - this is especially helpful for two screen operation as then two full workbooks can be viewed…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. saving excel file

Saving Excel File takes forever if the file is big.

Breaking down the process
    save changes only to those modified sheets in the workbook. really improve performance!
    Rest are nontouched or already saved content...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Ability to combine multiple spreadsheets from explorer

would be a great idea to have the ability to selecting multiple spreadsheets from explorer, then right clicking mouse and selecting 'combine' and all the sheets from the multiple files combines into a single spreadsheet workbook file...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Automatic multi-sheet for opening large CSV files

When a CSV file has more than 2^20 rows (1,048,576), it should NOT produce an error saying "File not loaded completely."

Instead, the header column should be duplicated, and the rows beyond 2^20 should be on the next sheet. In this way, a CSV with ten million rows could be opened completely, and it would simply take up 10 sheets.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add Time settings for Autosave

I suggest that there is a feature to change the time intervals that the file autosaves. Maybe that if working on a file alone, you can set it to every 5,10,15..... mins, but as soon as you are collaborating, it switches to the normal way

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. drop-down at top of application should include filename and path

There's a wee dropdown at the top of Excel (next to the search box) with the filename in it. This should also give us the file name and path, copied to the clipboard.

Use case: I'm in a spreadsheet w/ a 60 character name, but "open file location" doesn't select the file from among the other files in the directory, and I can't copy the name from anywhere convenient: File Save As will work & I can copy the name from the dialog, but this is far less convenient.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base