Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable user to pin Folders to the recent lists for Open and Save As

** Please bring back functionality from the old Microsoft Office suites (not just xls).

** For alphabetic sorting of files in the recent lists, please don't vote here. Instead, see https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10261443-recent-files-pane-in-excel-2013-was-pretty-good-b

Specifically: it is useful to have a list of recently-accessed folders from which to open files. Such folders were available on the older versions of Microsoft (MS) Office, but not in the 2016 “upgrade”. (i.e. MS Office 2016 contains only a list of the recently opened files.)

Constantly having to navigating BACK to a recently used folder to open / save a file is very annoying.

I'm not the…

240 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

20 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Preserve source quoting and separator when saving CSV.

Currently, Excel alters CSV files to it's internal CSV format whenever the file is saved, even if no changes were made to the file. For example, if I open a CSV file like below (anonymized version of a AWS credentials file):

User Name,Access Key Id,Secret Access Key
      "somebody",WISKFHEYDSJ2UDFH6XAD,mDHJNSLCF!safsdlds>Flsdfj/Mjufsldkhafdsl

And then I merely open the file and save it without making any changes, Excel will alter file, removing the quotes:

User Name,Access Key Id,Secret Access Key
      somebody,WISKFHEYDSJ2UDFH6XAD,mDHJNSLCF!safsdlds>Flsdfj/Mjufsldkhafdsl

In this particular example, the change is harmless but for more complex CSV files, simply opening them in Excel is sufficient to break other…

63 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great suggestion – CSV hasn’t been an area we’ve been looking into recently, but we’ll reconsider. It looks like this is starting to get some votes fairly quickly. If you like the idea, then please keep the votes coming! That’s the best way to help get this onto our engineering schedule.

Thanks,
        John [MS XL]

• Increase the 218 character filename length limit to open files in excel

Excel can't open files with full path lengths greater than 218 characters as documented in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/213983. This is still a problem in Office 2016. It seems crazy that Excel can't open a valid file that the filesystem allows. People have been complaining about this since Office 2000. The thread below has over 11 thousand views and there are plenty others. Please fix this. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-excel/sorry-unable-to-find/595333d0-1463-499f-967e-4da8ac2e2047

39 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Quit having a spreadsheet reopen in a different size than it was when it was closed

When I close a spreadsheet, it is the size I want it to be. But when I reopen it, Excel is as likely as not to have "decided" that it knows better than I do what I want, and it reopens in a different size. Sorry, but I do know better than Excel does what I want, and resent the arrogance displayed in changing my preferences. Make it stop!!!

31 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

When you say that it opens a different size – can you give more info? Do you mean the application window is a different size (it shouldn’t be) or that the font sizes (zoom) are different? (again, they shouldn’t be)

Additionally, if you can post a video of what you’re seeing, that would be a big help for us.

If there is a problem here, it’s definitely something we’d want to fix.

Cheers,
            Dan [MS]

• Add a setting/option where all CSV/delimited files are opened as "Text"

Add a setting called
            "Open text-delimited files (CSV, etc) as text only, with no type inference."

When this setting is active, then every column's format will be "Text" when a CSV or other such file is opened, so that the initial view is exactly the text represented in the CSV.

29 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback!

Can you comment on whether you expect this to basically import all the lines as text to column A, or if you have some other expectation?

Also, I’m assuming people refer here to the file/open path, and not to the Data/From-Text or New-Query/From-Text path.

• xls and xlsx files are not defaulted as Excel files in Windows 10

In Windows 10, xls and xlsx files are not automatically associated to Excel. If you try to open an xls or xlsx file from windows explorer, it open a save as windo rather than booting and opening in Excel.

16 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Leave minimized window minimized when opening other Excel Documents

Exactly as the title states. When I minimize an Excel window, I'm doing it for a reason. It's very annoying to have the minimized window pop back up on my screen when I open another Excel file. If I want it back on my screen, I'll do it myself. At least give us an option to turn this on/off.

15 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Save to current folder instead of "Document Library"

In a corporate environment you often have 1000+ people on the same server, with 10+ levels of subfolder defining your little part of it. So, it's a REAL PAIN when every time you want to save a copy of a workbook to your folder (or maybe a new subfolder of the current folder's parent) that you are always thrown out to the "Document Library" so that you have to navigate back through all the subfolders to where you just were. The "Document Library" is a fixed location, so it should be accessible via a button on the Save As dialog,…

10 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • DropBox missing from "Add a Place in Office 2016

In Office 2013 users had the ability to add non-Microsoft cloud storage providers (DropBox Google) to "Add a Place". This interoperability was a valuable asset to the user trying to use Office applications. In Office 2016 the ability to add DropBox is no longer available in the UI. The only options are Microsoft cloud stores.

8 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Allow multiple attempts when entering a password

When opening a password protected file, if you type it incorrectly, you have to open the file again and type it in. Similarly, if you click to open the file twice, and type the password correctly, the second file will then open, forcing you to type the password again. If you hit cancel on the second file, the first (correctly authenticated) workbook will close.

5 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Arranging Excel Files From The Task Bar

Bring back the ability to move files up and down the column when right clicking the Excel Icon on the task bar. Currently, when you pin a file to the Excel Icon, its placed at the bottom of the list and can't be moved. I have many files that I pin and sorting them manually would be very helpful.

5 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Need to bring back Recent Items folder originally available under Win 7 favorites. New file access within Apps is anti productivity

May Recent Items folder available to Quick Access that shows up in open and save option in Windows Office Apps

5 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Finally allow multiple open files with same base filename

I can guess why Excel works the way it does, but Excel has never allowed C:\A\X.XLSX and C:\B\X.XLSX to be open at the same time in the same Excel instance. Excel may be the ONLY Windows program which can have multiple files open at the same time but not handle files in different drives and/or directories with the same base filename.

Time for Excel to grow up.

FWIW, Lotus 1-2-3 and Quattro Pro allowed this as far back as 1989. LibreOffice Calc allows it today.

4 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Multi-setting dropdown list

I would like to see a Smart Drop Down List (SDDL). Picture it being like a HLOOKUP function, except:
                              1. column 1 is a selection of possible values that could be entered from in the drop down list.
                              2. Column 2 is a corresponding variable to col. 1 value
                              3. Column 3 is also selected based on col 1 value.

So in a modeling environment, rather than have to do a klugy separate sheet etc, I would have Smart Drop Down List
                              The columns I could enter would be:
                              User Choice Variable 1 Variable 2
                              (example of entry)
                              50% retrace…

3 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• ease to reach sheet..

Hello USers,

Worksheet containing 20 to 30 sheets or more whereas 2 or 3 sheets are summary..so user can right click on particular sheet and send to desktop..this will help user to directly open the required sheet under worksheet in any emergency(to reach quicker) or to know he current progress by viewing sheet title..

Regards,

Girish Surve

3 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Easy Method to Export Single Worksheets (rather than copy into new notebook)

Single-click on worksheet tab to save to a new workbook file. Many sheets that need to distribute single sheets to different people, without having to copy sheet to a new book and then saving.

3 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Pin newly opened files to visual area (or just the upper left hand corner)

I open my excel to cross over multiple screens, but when i open a file its a crap shoot as to where it appears across the screens. I know the file is open as I can see it in the list of open files but beats me where it is. I have to go to "View/Arrange All" and then vertical to be able to find the file. But doing that moves all my other files that I have placed in my work area for a reason.

3 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Save work books to external hard drive

to have a tab to save to external hard drive for quick access and not go thru all this clicking. I hope this helps others as I need it bad.

2 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• "Copy link to sheet" to create a shortcut to the sheet

I would love to have the ability to right click on a sheet tab and get an option for “Copy link to sheet.” I use this feature all the time in OneNote to help get people to the right tab/page… It would be great to have a quick way to pass people a hyperlink that directly opens a specific sheet.

Instead I find myself giving people directions to navigate to the “xyz” sheet.

2 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• 2 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

How it works

• Create a user account if you want to add a new suggestion or vote on existing suggestions.
                                          • Select one of the feedback forums listed.
                                          • Check out the ideas others have suggested and vote on your favorites.
                                          • Be sure to search for your suggestion but if you can’t find something similar enough, you can submit your own.
                                          • Keep suggestions focused on a single idea per post and limited to 25 words or less.
                                          • When you post an idea to our forum, others will be able to subscribe to it and make comments.