Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. VBA and external queries

There needs to be a call back function within VBA to establish when a query has finished running so that a macro can be paused until the data has been updated.

I've tried all ways I can find to do this via testing QueryTable.Refreshing property in a loop but none seems to work. Application.wait and any timer loop using GetTickCount() and DoEvents pauses the refresh as well. Unless I'm missing something.

But it is pretty critical ... I don't want to risk the post-processing of data until I am certain that it has all be updated.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow back-up macro code to be saved/backed up separately! When working with macros, I'm finding that it's maddening when to open a saved

Allow back-up macro code to be saved/backed up separately! When working with macros, I'm finding that it's maddening when to open a saved xlsm to find the ode has disappeared!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Reapply an advanced filter automatically

Dear Sirs
    I face a problem and wish Microsoft Excel team solve it
    Reapply an advanced filter automatically or add a tab
    when we make advanced filter , and original data updated
    the filter did not reapply to get latest update.
    Wish U can find a solution or tab or command line can solve it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Allow custom user data / meta data to be stored in the properties of a sheet.

Often when developing Macro's that operate on a worksheet, one needs to store / access worksheet variables that are either:

1. visible on the sheet or

2. saved in another hidden sheet.

It may be preferred by a Developer if custom meta data could be appended to the sheet properties. This will allow for custom sheet properties to be attached to a sheet rather than referenced from a hidden master sheet.

I appreciate that there may be performance considerations for those people who would like to have a customisable sheet property attribute, if so, it could be controlled by having a global…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. please allow more than 8 items on a dropdown menu

please allow more than 8 items on a dropdown menu

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Error with dbconnection

Unable to use Open database connection without error on Excel version build 8528.2126. Works fine on build 8326.2076

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Bug in links to Add-in

Can you fix the bug in Excel that has been around almost forever?

If I have a workbook that uses an Add-in in my personal addins folder, when someone else opens that on their machine, the link automatically looks for the Add-in in my personal folder on their machine, rather than in their addins folder.

If the workbook has iterations reliant on that link, then all the calculations fail, often with a long road to recover all the bad cells.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. UI for userforms- implement PowerPoint-type options to move controls with shift-arrow

Moving and aligning controls on userforms is highly manual, and is a pain. Often, the developer is stuck manually editing the left, top properties to ensure alignment. Small changes to position are not possible with mouse drag.

It would be great if we could nudge controls with shift-arrow while selected, or select multiple shapes and have the options of 'align left/top/right/etc.' and distribute evenly vertically/horizontally

There is also something weird about how controls are multi-selected with the mouse (overlapping controls selected even if they are not under the mouse) that might be addressed at the same time?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Please fix the automation error for user defined formulas in tables

I have a simple table(=listobject) with a UDF in it, something like this:

Public Function TestUDF(varTest As Variant, rngZZTest As Range) As String

TestUDF = rngZZTest.Value & varTest

End Function

Now I save the workbook in Excel 2016 and open it in Excel 2013 (32Bit). Excel jumps into the VBA editor, highlightes the UDF and an error occurs: "Compile error: automation error" (without any error number). I can compile the code and save it in Excel 2013, then the error message disappears. But always if I save the workbook in Excel 2016 and open it in Excel 2013, the error…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Make "Function Arguments" dialog box work properly for all VBA functions

I use Excel 2013 and for long VBA function definitions I get "(...)" displayed for function arguments, bur the function is still callable from a sheet.

I think that this dialog box should "work" for all valid VBA functions.

The same applies to the "Insert Function" dialog box.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Date macro is recorded. This used to be automatic when recording a macro, now it's gone

When recording a macro, the header of the macro used to automatically place the date. This was a really nice feature to know when the macro was recorded. Not foolproof but really nice. Now that feature is gone. Can you put that feature back please!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. copy / insert issue

Hello Excel User Voice,

I have a macro that worked fine for over a year, but after the latest Office update something changed and the macro behaves differently.

Initially, I thought that it was the Insert method that changed, however, having tested this now i can see that it's the Range.Unmerge method that behaves differently.

We have users with three different Office builds in the team:
    1. 16.0.4498.1000
    2. 16.0.7329.1054
    3. 16.0.8201.2075

For users on build 1 and 2, Range.Unmerge method unmerges the cells AND clears contents of clipboard AND/OR sets the Application.CutCopyMode to False.

For users on build 3…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Version 1705 Undocumented VBA Language Changes

As you can see by many posts, we developers heavily utilize VBA. As versions change and items are removed, we have to adapt our macros accordingly. Most of the time major changes in the VBA language happen at major version upgrades (e.g. 2007 to 2010 to 2016).

Recently Version 1705 started to be pushed out to people. I have a simple bit of code that enables the events for all workbooks that open. Prior to Version 1705 it worked perfectly, but now it fails on the variable definition. (Dim x As New EventClassModule now gives an error - "Compile error:…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Unique instances of excel please....

...without having to do this...press Windows+R (Run), then type “Excel /x” without quotes. This is not efficient

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Optimize an quotient with Solver Add-In

The ability to optimization an quotient for example for indicators of profitabilty, economic and so on from companies.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. add language independence, AI help, and GUI Web services with Intellisense to macros

The macro recorder & editor can be improved on by giving the user the ability to change the macro's programming language, on the fly, while editing. The macro editor should have a built-in language converter.

Before you say it can’t be done, remember that we are at a point where AI is evolving so fast that the “can’t be done” list is evaporating before our very eyes, every day. Also, if Microsoft is indeed ‘Infusing AI Into Every Product and Service’ It Offers:

https://www.seeker.com/tech/artificial-intelligence/microsoft-is-infusing-ai-into-every-product-and-service-it-offers

then why not programming itself?

So back to the improved macro language converter, I would recommend…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Create a Worksheet.BeforePasswordChange Event for .NET and VBA

Worksheet security is pretty weak. It would be great if there was an event available that listened for password changes and ran any applicable code before the worksheet password was changed. This would allow developers better security around worksheets.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add a workbook property that we can set at design time to force user to enable macros

If a workbook is reliant on macros or user-defined functions, developers often want to force the user to enable macros when they open that workbook. Current practice is to hide every worksheet except one displaying a nag to enable macros. We then use a WorkbookBeforeSave and WorkbookAfterSave event macro to do the hiding and unhiding of worksheets to make sure the nag message is displayed only when desired.

If we had a property we could set at design time to force the user to enable macros--or else the workbook wouldn't open, we would eliminate almost all the use…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Update the visual basic UI

Still looks like Windows 95 UI.
    Please update the UI

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add a VBA Property for ProtectSheet / UnprotectSheet that selects hash method

See the thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeexcel-msoother/excel-2013-is-very-slow-in-loading-large-workbooks/3dc258b1-0d9b-492c-8ab8-2ba1df26fc7e. Be sure to read my post: DennisAd replied on February 26, 2017.

Bottom line:
    1. SHA-512 hash for Worksheet Protection makes VBA that turns protection on/off really slow
    2. There is no additional security provided by SHA-512, since the worksheet info is stored in-the-clear on disk.
    3. All the code to support older (FASTER) methods is still there.

Details in the thread,

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base