Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Money In Excel - Add Capital One 360 Bank

Money In Excel - Add Capital One 360 Bank

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Office Scripts for Excel Desktop

Hi Excel-Team,
    on Ignite and on the Excel Tech Community blog, you have announced Office Scripts - including a macro recorder for Excel JS.
    That's really awesome and I am looking forward to the preview at the end of this year. However, Office Scripts will (is) currently only available for Excel on Web.
    I would like to suggest to add this feature to Excel Desktop too in the (near) future.
    This, as on one hand not all files are stored/used in the web and Excel for Web has less features than Excel for Desktop and on another hand, I guess,…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Excel 2016 VBA Slow Running Bug

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and Office 2016 and now Excel VBA runs much slower than before (was Office 2010). We have about 100,000 lines of VBA code, so this is a big issue. I was expecting a 2x performance degradation and display problems but it’s much worse than that and I can demonstrate why, with a 7 line program (you will need to save a blank workbook on your desktop and alter the “xxxxxx” in the file path, as well as saving the program to "Excel Speed Test.xlsm"):

Sub TestSlowWrite()

Dim TheRow As Integer

' Load
    11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. FIX THE BUGS with Application.ScreenUpating & Application.DisplayAlerts!It has been reported as broken for over a YEAR

BUG REPORT: Neither Application.ScreenUpdating or Application.DisplayAlerts work correctly in Excel 2016. Without these functioning, (unattended) macros are useless.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. DON'T use Python as an Excel scripting language

DO NOT let us do scripting with Python! Yay!

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. View vba code in protected view

When a file is in protected view, i can't see the vba code in the editor. This is rather impracticale since it makes it impossible to determine if it is safe to disable protected view for that file.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow for more categories in Money in Excel

The Categories spreadsheet only allows for the addition of 20 categories. My Quicken account, which I am trying to terminate, has over 70 categories in current use. This limits the usefulness of Money in Excel.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Ensure that updates do not corrupt VBA macros

After moving from Office 2010 to 2016 (on-prem), our users began to experience severe problems with macro-enabled workbooks (XLSM). These workbooks would not open, or open with errors, or the macros would crash Excel when run, or opening the workbook would crash Excel, or the Visual Basic Editor in Excel would exhibit weird behavior.

In all cases, the problem could be solved by opening the XLSM without active content enabled, and recompiling the VBA project. But in all cases, these were VBA projects that had worked normally before, and had been succesfully compiled before.

Recently, we rolled out an update…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add the ability to hide columns in the Power Query Editor

Users should be able to Right-Click on a column in the Power Query editor and have the option to hide the column from view when it is loaded. Currently the only option is to completely remove the column altogether....

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. excel macros

When the user uses the remote desk of the laptop(the system of the laptop is windows 10 1903 rdp) to connect to another computer, the excel document with Macros cannot open or save(the version of the office365 is latest).

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Mini calendar and date picker

The actual calendar should be embedded in the ribbon instead of you having to open it in every sheet to select dates.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add a formula to show date modified similar to =TODAY()

Have a formula that can show the most recent modification date to the document similar to how =TODAY() shows today's date, =DATEMODIFIED() can show what day the last change was made.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Try...Catch...Finally Statement for VBA

Please provide VBA with the Try...Catch...Finally Statement.

The VBA really needs this statement.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Activeworkbook.close falsely triggers Userform QueryClose Event with CloseMode=5 (undefined constant!)

I have a Macro along with an Userform attached to an excel sheet. When the macro get executed, it will Open several workbooks and does some manipulations based on the Userform input and closes those (Userform will be hidden throughout the process once the user given data). But when command Activeworkbook.Close is executed for the first workbook, QueryClose Event in the userform section triggers.
    Specially this happens in Excel 2013 (VBA 7.1) and not in Excel 2010 (VBA 7.0) Please debug this issue...
    Reference:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/14edc442-f380-47db-af96-317ca06d37ef/queryclose-event-triggers-when-activeworkbookclose-command-executed-in-excel-2013-vba?forum=exceldev

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Range.Value and Range.Value2 should work for non-contiguous ranges

Range.Value and Range.Value2 will return the values of only the first area in a range if the range has multiple areas.

If you are using, for example, SpecialCells to get the visible cells in a range, the range can have multiple areas and we should be able to use Range.Value and Range.Value2 to get all the visible cells values as an array instead of just getting them for the first area in the range.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. VBA Developer should highlight paired parentheses

While editing VBA code within the Developer window, there should be some basic syntax highlighting such as paired parentheses. This would help while coding complex nested conditions.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Language-Integrated Query (LINQ) for VBA

Language-Integrated Query (LINQ) for VBA!

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Option to save VBA changes but not worksheet changes

Use case: in my world, we have templates that are frequently updated. As a result, the VBA has to be updated and tested as well. I'm not an expert programmer, so there are often many iterations of code tweaks, test, repeat.

The problem is that the template is affected by the code- rows and columns are added/deleted based on the sample data, etc.

So I either have to close without saving, and keep a handwritten log of the next few lines of code I've identified as requiring edits, or, I save the file but then have to go copy/paste the…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Assign a macro inside a cell

Allow an option to assign a macro inside a cell like the hyperlink option or to assing a macro in hyperlink option.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Bring back calendar control as a vba reference

Excel 2007 supported a calendar control reference that allowed the programming of a pop-up calendar for date pick on worksheet_change. This function has been stripped from newer version of excel. The convenience of this reference can't be overstated, and ensures correct date format.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base