Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please could we have a separate tab for Macros and buttons

Please could we have a separate tab for Macros and buttons

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Expose more events

There have been a number of pleas for this before, but I want to add one more:
    Worksheet_BeforeChange

I need to compare before and after values when a cell changes. found loads of work-arounds to do this, including having a duplicate copy of the whole workbook! But all suffer from various problems when tried. Clearly the fact that so many people have tried various work-arounds and posted them on the web indicates a need for this.

It can't be that difficult to expose events which must exist already, surely? We have far more events available in Access and Word than…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Mistake in Regression Output: "Standard Error" should be renamed "RMSE"

In the regression output, there is a value for "standard error" which is not a standard error at all, but is actually the "root mean squared error" which is more analogous to a standard deviation. Only parameters have standard errors, variables have standard deviations. The error term of a regression is, of course, a variable and not a parameter. This should be renamed "RMSE". It causes a great deal of confusion at the course I teach at Columbia Business School when I describe the difference between standard deviations and standard errors, and then see that excel has made the very…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. OFFICE 365, VBA COMPILER - After statement "If....Then", Loop "FOR...NEXT" doesn't work

Within a macro after "If - Then" condition the "For - Next" loop doesn't work. I replaced "For - Next" loop with the "DO LOOP" and the same job is done. Please check function of the compiler in the case above.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Ensure that updates do not corrupt VBA macros

After moving from Office 2010 to 2016 (on-prem), our users began to experience severe problems with macro-enabled workbooks (XLSM). These workbooks would not open, or open with errors, or the macros would crash Excel when run, or opening the workbook would crash Excel, or the Visual Basic Editor in Excel would exhibit weird behavior.

In all cases, the problem could be solved by opening the XLSM without active content enabled, and recompiling the VBA project. But in all cases, these were VBA projects that had worked normally before, and had been succesfully compiled before.

Recently, we rolled out an update…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Macro creating for users who do not program

Lotus used to have a way of generating small macros by remembering the actions taken on a table. Could that be instituted in Excel? It is a much easier way for people who are not familiar with programming languages.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Breaklink macros suddenly start failing

Code that has for years worked stops with debug message that "Method Breaklink of object '_workbook' failed" to include in old backups from last 2018. Running on Excel 365 insider. Sample code

Sub BreakLinks() 'new 20.08.2017 https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/1173-excel-break-all-links.html
    'Updateby20140318
    If Not IsEmpty(ActiveWorkbook.LinkSources(xlExcelLinks)) Then
    For Each lnk In ActiveWorkbook.LinkSources(xlExcelLinks)
    >> ActiveWorkbook.BreakLink lnk, Type:=xlLinkTypeExcelLinks
    Next lnk
    On Error GoTo 0
    End If

End Sub 'EoS BreakLinks

No amount of supplanting with similar code gets passed the ActiveWorkbook Breaklink line.

thx

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. VAT MTD

Looking for a way for business to keep using excel for VAT record keeping and upload the information to our tax office (HMRC) on quarterly returns 'making tax digital' without need for accounting software. I'm sure there is an addin developed already but I cant find it.
    The advert for Vitaltax shows a link to Office store, cant find it on my laptop.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Vergleich von Excel- Dateien mit Inquire

Ich habe die Funktionalität erst vpr einigen Monaten kennen gelernt. ich bin von dem Werkzeug begeistert. Ich arbeite in der Kalkulation und wir müssen täglich Excel- Listen miteinander vergleichen. Die farbliche Markierung der Unterschied in beiden Excel- Dokumenten erleichtert sehr meine tägliche Arbeit. Die momentane Ausgabe in eine neue Excel- Liste ist allerdings sehr unübersichtlich und verwirrend. Eine perfekte Lösung bestünde darin, die Unterschiede der vergleichenden Dateien in den beiden Original Excel- Dateien zu dokumentieren und auch in den Ausgangs- Excel Dateien zu dokumentieren.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Modernise UserForms & Components

UserForms have become a bit old in the years.

I would suggest to add XAML Components or JScript Components (double use Fat Client & Web ) or Power BI Components

Short: I would suggest the modernisation of the UI Components (without need to switch out of Excel and use an other IDE to develop this kind of Clients like Web Addins)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Option to save VBA changes but not worksheet changes

Use case: in my world, we have templates that are frequently updated. As a result, the VBA has to be updated and tested as well. I'm not an expert programmer, so there are often many iterations of code tweaks, test, repeat.

The problem is that the template is affected by the code- rows and columns are added/deleted based on the sample data, etc.

So I either have to close without saving, and keep a handwritten log of the next few lines of code I've identified as requiring edits, or, I save the file but then have to go copy/paste the…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. I need you to help me about macro when I install add-in excel 365. I want to send an email to you but I don't know the email main to describ

I need you to help me about macro when I install add-in excel 365. I want to send an email to you but I don't know the email main to describe a problem. I need contact with you email ng.ninh@outlook.com. Thank you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. I need you to help me about macro when I install add-in excel 365. I want to send an email to you but I don't know the email main to describ

I need you to help me about macro when I install add-in excel 365. I want to send an email to you but I don't know the email main to describe a problem. I need contact with you email ng.ninh@outlook.com. Thank you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. I need you to help me about macro when I install add-in excel 365. I want to send an email to you but I don't know the email main to describ

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Give VBA some love -- Increase size of the Immediate Window

A really easy one. Currently limited to about 100 lines, which made sense back in 1997 when memory was tight. Now a real pain.

Hopefully just a constant somewhere in the code.

But, zero work on VBA means zero. When VBA dies through neglect, many people will have no strong reason to stick to Excel.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Give VBA some love -- Application.RibbonHandle

Currently, getting the ribbon handle requires implementing a callback, and then saving the handle. But it is then lost on any VBA error.

There is a hack to store it in an XL4 Application macro, and then get it back using a MoveMemory system call.

But that is NOT End user Computing! That is the point of VBA, usable by end users.

It should be like all the other statuses, Application.RibbonHandle. Always available, no magic required.

The fact that this has not been fixed in 10 years demonstrates Microsoft's contempt for VBA, which is very unwise IMHO.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. There should be Microsoft Office Tool to create a list of the shortcuts and menu access keys

There should be a tool in Microsoft Office that generates a list of keyboard shortcuts and menu access keys for Excel, Word, etc. Currently there is a macro in Word that generates a list of shortcuts. There should be a tool separately from the macro list to do this for Excel and other programs. There are hundreds of access keys but there are only a few keys listed online.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Can't add ActiveX into Excel 2016

Unable to add new/existing ActiveX controls into Excel 2016 whether it is a brand new worksheet or an existing worksheet. Getting an "Cannot Insert Object" error. Have researched previous issues on this and there are only fixes up until Office 2013. Requiring assistance in finding a fix to this issue ASAP.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Automatic Emails to customers

I have a spreadsheet that is updated by a database that our company uses for production scheduling.
    It would be very ideal for there to be a way that excel could send an automatic email to the customer as the status of their product moves through production.
    Example: When the product "status" changes from "Router" to "Paint", an email is sent to notify the customer of the progress of their product.

I think that this feature would be helpful for any "production" company.

Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base