Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Show Properties Pane Details

Enable the display (and setting) of all Workbook, Worksheet, and other object properties in the VBA Property Pane Window

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. VBA editor suggestion

List a module's routines and functions in expandable tree view under module name in VBA editor. Just use the existing object tree view but add another level down that lists each function or routine and make it so it takes me to that function when I click on it. Most times, I'm just trying to remember a function's name and I have to leave my current routine to go find it. This would allow me to see the function name without leaving my current module and routine or function.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Multiple scripting languages for Excel

I would like to see multiple scripting languages support for Excel. I think Excel needs to support java script, powershell, and still continue to support VBA. Allow the user to be able to select language when creating Macro

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. LabArchives available on start screen

Allow for plugins like LabArchives to show up on start screen for excel

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Excelマクロでオートフィルタして件数を取得するとオーバーフローします

Excel2016のVBAで、オートフィルタを設定しています。
    1行目にはタイトル行で、2行目以降にデータがあります。
    AutoFilterでフィルターして、2行目だけデータが抽出された際に、
    Range(Range("A2"), Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp)).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Countで件数を抽出しようとするとオーバーフローします。
    (別のファイルで違うデータで試した際は、2行目にデータが抽出しているにもかかわらず上記コマンドで0件となりました。)
    3行目以降にデータがある場合や、2行目にデータがあっても他の行でデータが抽出された場合は、この現象は発生しません。
    おそらくバグではないかと思われましたので、報告致します。
    宜しくお願い致します。

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Enviar e receber as respectivas respostas aos comentários no Excel.

Estou procurando informações a respeito de como posso enviar e receber as respectivas respostas aos comentários hoje disponíveis no Excel.
    Além disso também estou a procura de informações de como posso automatizar via C# VSTO no Visual Studio 2019 estes comentários atuais, não estou me referindo aos Notes antigos comentários. Também gostaria de confirmar se é possível reescrever via VSTO 100% do conteúdo destes comentários novos, isto é alterar até quem enviou e quem respondeu além de alterar as informações das datas. Pois tenho um projeto de criptografia que criptografa e descriptografa individualmente cada item contido em uma planilha Excel.…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Option to resize Macro Dialog box

Currently the dialog box for Macros does not have an option to resize like that of 'save as dialog box'.It would be very nice if this option could be included as it would make it convenient to view more macros.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Excel 365, spreadsheet. A message window position in the center of the display,

It will be great if the message position can bi fixed by user. The message, by default appears in the center of the display. If user moves the message in a convenient position, then in next appearance, on the same sheet the message stays in new position defined by user.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. about: Application.ScreenUpdating

I use Application.ScreenUpdating a lot.
    Before, all Excel did was not refresh the screen.

The current version keeps switching to a blank screen over and over and over and over again.

Is super ANNOYING.

please, just let Excel do nothing until Application.ScreenUpdating is switch back to TRUE.

Thank you

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Ribbon, invalidate controls on contexttualTabs.

When create a custom control in contextualTab, callbacks are executed only first time then control is shown.
    Because contextualTabs shows information about selected object (listObject, chart, etc), all controls MUST BE invalidate each time selected object changes in Excel.
    Workaround its invalidate ALL CONTROLS from ALL CONTEXTUALTABS in ApplicationSheetSelectionChange() and ApplicationSheetActivate().
    This is a LOT of code executions (each seleccion in Excel executes .InvalidateControl to all controls in all ContextualTabs).

But... if exists onShow="callback" triggered when ContextualTabs shows information it runs faster.

Or even better, when Excel shows a ContextualTab, all inner-custom controls must be automatically invalidate, then…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. C# Classes Call as VBA Language Feature

Writing Excel Applications for Business often leads to the desire to extend VBA functionality with C# Classes. I would like to be able to call C# as a language component of VBA.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Language-Integrated Query (LINQ) for VBA

Language-Integrated Query (LINQ) for VBA!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Please could we have a separate tab for Macros and buttons

Please could we have a separate tab for Macros and buttons

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Expose more events

There have been a number of pleas for this before, but I want to add one more:
    Worksheet_BeforeChange

I need to compare before and after values when a cell changes. found loads of work-arounds to do this, including having a duplicate copy of the whole workbook! But all suffer from various problems when tried. Clearly the fact that so many people have tried various work-arounds and posted them on the web indicates a need for this.

It can't be that difficult to expose events which must exist already, surely? We have far more events available in Access and Word than…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Mistake in Regression Output: "Standard Error" should be renamed "RMSE"

In the regression output, there is a value for "standard error" which is not a standard error at all, but is actually the "root mean squared error" which is more analogous to a standard deviation. Only parameters have standard errors, variables have standard deviations. The error term of a regression is, of course, a variable and not a parameter. This should be renamed "RMSE". It causes a great deal of confusion at the course I teach at Columbia Business School when I describe the difference between standard deviations and standard errors, and then see that excel has made the very…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Ensure that updates do not corrupt VBA macros

After moving from Office 2010 to 2016 (on-prem), our users began to experience severe problems with macro-enabled workbooks (XLSM). These workbooks would not open, or open with errors, or the macros would crash Excel when run, or opening the workbook would crash Excel, or the Visual Basic Editor in Excel would exhibit weird behavior.

In all cases, the problem could be solved by opening the XLSM without active content enabled, and recompiling the VBA project. But in all cases, these were VBA projects that had worked normally before, and had been succesfully compiled before.

Recently, we rolled out an update…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Option to save VBA changes but not worksheet changes

Use case: in my world, we have templates that are frequently updated. As a result, the VBA has to be updated and tested as well. I'm not an expert programmer, so there are often many iterations of code tweaks, test, repeat.

The problem is that the template is affected by the code- rows and columns are added/deleted based on the sample data, etc.

So I either have to close without saving, and keep a handwritten log of the next few lines of code I've identified as requiring edits, or, I save the file but then have to go copy/paste the…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Give VBA some love -- Increase size of the Immediate Window

A really easy one. Currently limited to about 100 lines, which made sense back in 1997 when memory was tight. Now a real pain.

Hopefully just a constant somewhere in the code.

But, zero work on VBA means zero. When VBA dies through neglect, many people will have no strong reason to stick to Excel.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Give VBA some love -- Application.RibbonHandle

Currently, getting the ribbon handle requires implementing a callback, and then saving the handle. But it is then lost on any VBA error.

There is a hack to store it in an XL4 Application macro, and then get it back using a MoveMemory system call.

But that is NOT End user Computing! That is the point of VBA, usable by end users.

It should be like all the other statuses, Application.RibbonHandle. Always available, no magic required.

The fact that this has not been fixed in 10 years demonstrates Microsoft's contempt for VBA, which is very unwise IMHO.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base