Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow Edit of the Macro Button

Allow users to edit the Macro Button (like we could in an older version of Excel) for custom macros in the Quick Access Toolbar. Currently, we can select from ~180 images but it was so much nicer when you could go in and 'draw' your own button.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Please include run-time objects from previous Excel versions

When my corporate machine was upgraded from XP/Office2003 to Win7/Office2010 there was a whole lot of recoding to be done because certain built-in objects from Excel 2003 were missing, because our IT department were worried about licensing issues and refused to include them. Even to this day, I still have issues with a very complicated XLS workbook that I have not been given the budget to migrate and retest as an XLSB, because the MSCAL.OCX calendar control was missing from the new installation and all my users get incompatibility compile-fail warnings from the DatePicker control I had to replace it…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. MacroOptions to redirect Help for VBA UDFs to web page

Currently, if I write a UDF in VBA, I can arrange that the user sees help for that function in the Excel “Insert function” dialog box by using Application.MacroOptions. I can also hook the “Help on this function” link of that dialog to a help topic in a help file.

But I don’t think Application.MacroOptions lets me hook “Help on this function” to a web page. My suggestion is to make that possible please.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Fix the interaction between macros and Power Pivot/Power Query

If you have any personal macros (or even a macro worksheet in your XLSTART folder), PowerPivot and Power Query both break—it's been a big bummer having to get rid of all my old macros to use my data models.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. VBA - to avoid cracking enable the code to set the password on opening the workbook

It would be so handy if one could check the status of the password setting of the VBA code in Workbook_Open() and reapply it if the password has been removed. That way only if you know the password can you unlock it in the VBA editor.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. VBA: improve Application.ConvertFormula with FromLocale/ToLocale arguments

A formula in a cell could be read in locale or English format by the Range.FormulaLocal resp. Range.Formula properties.

But not all objects in Excel support a Local property, e.g. the conditional formating, charts, autofilter, ...

So it would very helpful when Application.ConvertFormula has arguments that let us convert formulas from English to locale format and back.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. VBA: function to get/set the search settings (for backup and restore)

Range.Find modifies the settings in the Find dialog of the UI.

The default setting of LookAt in the UI is xlPart, but in VBA we usualy use xlWhole:

MyRange.Find(What, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole)

We need a function the get (all) the search settings, so we can backup the settings before we execute our macro. And when we are finished we need a function to restore the settings.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 12 13 14 16 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base