Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. There should be a WorkbookAfterClose event

there is a WorkbookBeforeClose event but there is no corresponding WorkbookAfterClose event.

Note that the WorkbookBeforeClose is cancelable so there is no guarantee that the workbook will actually be closed after that event is triggered.

Currently in order to get the WorkbookAfterClose event, a workaround needs to be implemented: https://exceptionalcode.wordpress.com/2010/02/11/how-to-get-an-excel-vsto-workbook-closed-event/

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix object model implementation of Top10 Auto Filters

The current implementation of the Top10 auto-filters in Excel is horrible.

There are four 'Top 10' filters: xlTop10Items, xlTop10Percent, xlBottom10Items, xlBottom10Percent

Problem 1) The names are deceiving. They are not always 10 items or 10 percent. Better names would be Top X Items or Top N Items.

Problem 2) The Excel object model does not allow the original criteria to be retrieved. If you create a Top 10 Items filter with the value 15, then the Filter.Criteria1 property will be changed to a >= criteria depending on the data in the column and the original value of 15 has no…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. allow for does not equal for auto-filter, when inserting into VBA

Hello.
    Over the years, I've found that I needed a filter, which I could modify, using VBA, that would allow me to filter more than a single component when I'd activate it. Last year, I posted on the MSDN-Excel for Developers forum, and one member gave me a sample which I modified, and got to work for my purposes.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2e738c1e-ca46-4511-8d93-4ba870468aea/multifilter?forum=exceldev

I took his sample, made the changes, and now have an excellent filter tool (I posted my final solution, and have made several using different numbers of components), and thanks to VBA, I can add, remove, increase, reduce, etc... my…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Range.Value and Range.Value2 should work for non-contiguous ranges

Range.Value and Range.Value2 will return the values of only the first area in a range if the range has multiple areas.

If you are using, for example, SpecialCells to get the visible cells in a range, the range can have multiple areas and we should be able to use Range.Value and Range.Value2 to get all the visible cells values as an array instead of just getting them for the first area in the range.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Before Copy, Before Paste, After Copy and After Paste events

Excel needs these events - before copy, before paste, after copy and after paste events to be added to the standard worksheet events. It is possible to do this with custom events and using the windows API to query the clipboard, but it is unreliable. They are necessary to be able to control how users interact with a spreadsheet that is locked down

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. The function VBA.Format should be part of the Excel object model and not only the VBA language

The Format (or VBA.Format) function is part of the VBA language, not the Excel object model. This means that this function is not available to .NET COM addins (VSTO, AddinExpress, Excel DNA). This can be a problem for the development of new addins using .NET or upgrading existing VBA addins to COM.

Note that .NET has string.Format() and Microsoft.VisualBasic.Strings.Format() but neither of those has the same behavior as the VBA Format function especially with regards to dates.

Note that there is a similar function that is part of the Excel object model: WorksheetFunction.Text(). However, this function still differs from the…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Copy macro buttons across multiple sheets at once

Allow for macro buttons to be pasted onto multiple sheets at once.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Built in macro to Generate Rows as Dates between two dates

A common reporting problem is to generate date wise rows from a given start date and end date. Built in macro can make life so much easier with this feature.

Example: a service order of client X start from 01 Jan 2014 till Jan 2016, need to generate all dates between this two dates so that we can see month wise data for that customer..

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Safe Macro Detection

Certain types of macros could be guaranteed to be safe to the user of a workbook. Such an example would be a UDF that does pure numerical manipulation.
    I propose that there is some mechanism to detect whether VBA could have unwanted side effects and block those, but workbooks containing only VBA that does pure numerical manipulations or makes use of only other worksheet functions should be enabled by default.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. make it easier to use the add ins for stats

bring back the ease of using the stat add ins

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. The object model in support of themes is weak.

It should be possible to copy a theme from one workbook to another using VBA but the current object model doesn't support it. You can do a wrkbk.Theme.ApplyAs(theme_name) but there is no property that makes available the source workbook's theme.

It is possible to Save and Load of two of the three theme schemes but ThemeEffectScheme doesn't support Save (just Load).

These both all seem like oversights.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. [VBA] Shape color is not visible with Excel 2016, but is with Excel 2013

I've made a code for studying function SIN and COS. It's like an analog clock that shows only second hand(Line shape).
    It works as expected with Excel 2013. But with Excel 2016, second hand(colored red) cannot be seen, only marks(both ends of Line) can be seen.
    I've reproduced this, in Windows 7, 8.1, and 10.
    --- my code ---
    ' --- for "Sleep" スリープ関数(API)の宣言
    Declare Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal dwMilliseconds As Long)

' ---[10] Analog Clock (display second hand) (アナログ時計・秒針を表示:サイン、コサインの練習)
    Public Sub prc_Show_AnalogClock()
    Call prc_Clear_Clock ' -- delete Oval and Line already exist: 既存の円と直線を削除
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    ' ---…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Create Javascript API Editor in Office Now instead of after API set is complete

It seems clear from https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/8843113-bring-vba-into-the-modern-world that while VBA will stay for a while, the future is to replace it with JavaScript. Cross-platform, modern, I don't entirely like it but I get it.

So today I sat down to start learning JavaScript and consider building anything I would have put in VBA in it instead, and so far it appears I'd need to do so in Visual Studio or a text editor. Is this correct? That same link notes that you'll create "a more modern editor than the VBE" but only after broadening the API set (at which point you'll look…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. VSTO Add-In QAT - Enable More Commands

Creating VSTO Add-In from scratch, QAT - "More commands" is disabled. http://prnt.sc/agb5oa
    I would be cool to that each user could add his own custom functions like Macros and etc.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/3d20f35d-6c13-4781-95e9-dee35ec5c64c/ribbon-xml-how-to-enable-qat-more-commands?forum=vsto

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow modifying custom ribbon controls using VBA

It would be very helpful to have the ability to edit custom controls using VBA (such as in Project with method SetCustomUI(CustomUIXML)). Sometimes it is necessary to add or remove controls (nut just show and hide).
    Thanks!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. like in previous version have the possibility to open a visio add-in in full visio version and not only edit version.

In prvious Visio version you could open a visio add-in in excell with richt mouse click and choise to edit or open the add in. For ower needs it is imported to open the visio add)-inn in full version to have a full screen and all the options. We need this fast. Please implement.
    Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. REPL

Add Excel REPL - code and see results in place:

1. modify/create sheets
    2. modify/create charts
    3. import/export data
    4. integration with macros
    5. html output window
    6. widgets

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Macros usable to other users

When you create a macro and send the workbook to other users, unless they have their settings such that they can run a macro, you need to give them special instructions so that the macro runs.
    Surely, there must be a way to send a workbook with a macro in it to someone without having to tell them to change their security settings which often causes them to think they're doing something to put them at risk.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Bring Project Analyse for Excel out of the Kitchen and in to the real world

Please bring Project Analyse for Excel out of the Kitchen and in to the real world - may be as an Add-in first and then a full fledge feature later
    Its almost two years since the demo - If you keep it in the kitchen too long it rots

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base