Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. MacroOptions to redirect Help for VBA UDFs to web page

Currently, if I write a UDF in VBA, I can arrange that the user sees help for that function in the Excel “Insert function” dialog box by using Application.MacroOptions. I can also hook the “Help on this function” link of that dialog to a help topic in a help file.

But I don’t think Application.MacroOptions lets me hook “Help on this function” to a web page. My suggestion is to make that possible please.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Macro Relative Reference Option More Visible

When recording a macro using the Use Relative References option, the change in the icon is too subtle to easily tell if the option is active or not. Instead of the very faint border around the icon, make it more evident when the option is active or inactive.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. VBA - to avoid cracking enable the code to set the password on opening the workbook

It would be so handy if one could check the status of the password setting of the VBA code in Workbook_Open() and reapply it if the password has been removed. That way only if you know the password can you unlock it in the VBA editor.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. VBA: function to get/set the search settings (for backup and restore)

Range.Find modifies the settings in the Find dialog of the UI.

The default setting of LookAt in the UI is xlPart, but in VBA we usualy use xlWhole:

MyRange.Find(What, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole)

We need a function the get (all) the search settings, so we can backup the settings before we execute our macro. And when we are finished we need a function to restore the settings.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Lookbacks in Regex being supported

Currently, with VBA's reference of "Microsoft VBScript Regular Expressions 5.5", lookbacks aren't supported. The only way to mimic a poor lookback is to use grouping, and have a partial lookback before the grouping. For example:

LookbackPortion(The Group we want)

While this works for some cases, it in no way comes close to being a proper implementation of a lookback.

Currently there are many requests for Regex in Excel. Currently, it's fairly doable with a short user-defined function.

So the request is to properly implement regex lookbacks in VBScripts

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Defining a subset of the possible VBA commands usable without triggering a security prompt

Might allowing the use of a subset of VBAs commands (enforced by the virtual machine) for certain projects allow for a reduction in the need for security prompts and help prevent users becoming accustomed to clicking enable when opening a spreadsheet without thinking of the consequences. I.e. certain spreadsheet could be tagged by the developer as only using this subset of VBA commands and could run without the need to trigger a security prompt.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Macros - Make it simple to transfer macros and PERSONAL workbooks, and combine multiple PERSONAL workbooks on one computer.

Macros - Make it simple to transfer macros and PERSONAL workbooks, and combine multiple PERSONAL workbooks on one computer. This is ridiculous. I use multiple complex macros. Make it easier for regular people to do!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add SharePoint and Onedrive OAuth authentication in VBA

Currently I use rest with SharePoint and Onedrive, but in VBA this is not very easy and can sometimes be troublesome.
    Like in the newer languages (e.g. C#) authentication can be done in a few lines of code and it would be good to have some thing similar built into VBA.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow UDF's to work if macros are disabled.

If a macro is marked as a UDF, it would be available even if macros have been disabled if a user so selected either as a general option or when opening a spreadsheet.

Any so marked macro (UDF) would be limited to no work outside itself except to provide its result to the cell it is used in and could only use inputs specified in its use. No other externalality could be done: no accessing non-specified cells/range/etc. for any reason, no actions like changing window size or deleting files or whatever. It could only use its defined-in-the-cell inputs and only…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Prevent windows from doing a restart when a program is actively running in Excel

I have a number of very large number crunching models that are run by macros and often take several hours to complete with my core 5 computer. I set these up to run over night or during the day when I am out or working on other things. When Windows decides that it is time to do an update it simply closes Excel even though it is very busy crunching numbers. Today I lost three hours of work because it does not even bother to save the file since it only does that when the program is sitting there not…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Support trusting publishers for certificates used to sign macros on shapes.

When macros are signed with a certificate, the user is given the option to "Trust all documents from this publisher". However, this option is not available when the signed macro is attached to a Shape.

This behaviour should be consistent no matter where the macro was attached.

See attached "failbook.xlsm" and "successbook.xlsm". Failbook has a macro attached to a shape, successbook has a macro attached to a form button. The images "macrooptionssuccessbook.png" and "macrooptionsfailbook.png" show the differences in the macro options screen between the two excel workbooks.

Reproduction steps:

1.-In the Excel Trust Center, enable "Disable all macros with notification"

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow UDF's to work if macros are disabled.

If a macro is marked as a UDF, it would be available even if macros have been disabled if a user so selected either as a general option or when opening a spreadsheet.

Any so marked macro (UDF) would be limited to no work outside itself except to provide its result to the cell it is used in and could only use inputs specified in its use. No other externalality could be done: no accessing non-specified cells/range/etc. for any reason, no actions like changing window size or deleting files or whatever. It could only use its defined-in-the-cell inputs and only…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Automatically Create Macros when user does repetitive task

Some macros are difficult to make and hard for intermediate and beginner excel users. For example, I am removing duplicates in groups only separated by a small heavy border line in one of the cells. This should obviously be possible to automate, but for this application it is faster for me to do it manually than learn how to make the macro.
    Hence, automatic macro creation. It would be a genius invention and bring excel into 2020.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Code module comparison tool

Due to a number of factors (I started having this problem mostly after our company implemented OneDrive, but I'm sure there are complementary factors like intermittent network connection, etc) I keep having Excel restart or reconnect in ways that it has to recover files including personal.xlsb.

For most "front-end" files, I can just open the most recent one from the recovery panel, and move on. However, when Excel re-opens it does so with personal.xlsb loaded, and I haven't managed to figure out how to tell Excel "only use the most recent [recovered] copy". So these backup copies get stored/saved, and…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Have a tool to find hidden range names and a link finder.

I get (update) linking error when name ranges are hidden. These often come when old worksheet data is imported. The Excel Name Manager function does not find these. I have installed an add-in called Name Manager that does find such range names. This should be part of Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Default Sheet codename as 01, 02, etc instead of 1, 2, 3

Ok, I know this is a minor nit, and probably NOT appropriate for the visible sheetnames (because it would throw half the user base into a panic)... but I often find myself renaming the sheet codenames (and controls) using 01, 02, 03 because of the way the VBE sorts things. Obviously this only helps for workbooks less than 100 sheets, but that is probably 99% of the use cases, whereas the current approach only works up to 9 sheets, which is probably only half the time.

Sure, I sometimes rename sheets with more intuitive text names as well, but this…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. VBA highlight words that are the same within the same procedure when selected

Highlight all the words within the same procudure that match the selected text, as Sublime text does.
    This would make seeing where variables are used much easier.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Developed a macro that enable us to select area until the last cell with data

I have created a personal macro add-in and added at quick access tool bar that enables me to select the area until the last cell with the data. This macro is very useful for the data that has multiple spaces in it.

With a data that has thousands of row, it is time consuming to use shift+ctrl+down arrow. Because this shortcut stops in each blank cell.

Sub lastcellwithdata()

Dim i As Integer

i = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, Selection.Column).End(xlUp).Row

Range(Cells(Selection.Row, Selection.Column), Cells(i, Selection.Column)).Select

End Sub

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Prevent over-stuffing macros

When I record a macro, I usually run over the (unstated) space available. Why not compile on the fly and report a rough estimate of the space available? This could be given as actual space available or a percentage of space left.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base