Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Assign a macro inside a cell

Allow an option to assign a macro inside a cell like the hyperlink option or to assing a macro in hyperlink option.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make the Microsoft Mathematics Add-In available for Excel 2016 and 365

Microsoft Mathematics 4.0 is a fantastic Computer Algebra System with excellent graphing features. It allows you to solve math problems, even complex formula, and then graph them in graphs that could have the variables manipulated. It is a great teaching and visualization tool, which after having installed .Net 3.5, can be well installed on Windows 10 (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15702, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Mathematics).
    Word and OneNote 2013 had a cool Add-in for Microsoft Mathematics 4.0, and we have asked to extend the Add-in to Office 2016.
    Please add it to PowerPoint 2016 too, or even better, to all current and future Office…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Amount in words formula in Excel

PLZ Add Amount in words formula in Excel

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Improve Excel's ability to locate, edit and break links in spreadsheets.

Often I create spreadsheets used by others within my company and by some of our business partners outside of our company. This may involve merging multiple spreadsheets into a single larger spreadsheet. Under these circumstances it is common to have the new merged spreadsheet pulling something from one or more of the previous stand alone spreadsheets. It works fine on my company laptop as I have access privileges to all of the previous stand alone spreadsheets. However when I give the merged spreadsheet to others within my company and/or our business partners they may experience linking problems. The more knowledgeable…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Cloud-based Macros

Wish that Excel's approach to Macros was much cleaner, shareable, collaborative as Google is impementing.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. TypeScript as an excel scripting language

I think typescript should be considered alongside python, since as many (if not more) people already know it and/or Javascript, so the learning curve would be much smaller and easier than having to pick VB or Python to learn...

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Excel 2016 issue: Memory leak when reading shape properties.

Hello,

Since long time, reading some shape properties increase excel memory consumption.

Here how to reproduce the bug:
    Create a shape in the sheet.
    Create a vba module with this code:

Option Explicit

Public Sub testMem()
    Dim strOA As String
    While True

strOA = Sheets(1).Shapes(1).OnAction

DoEvents

Wend
    End Sub

Run it and look in task manager how memory consumption grows...

It's same for

strOA = Sheets(1).Shapes(1).DrawingObject.Caption
    strOA = Sheets(1).Shapes(1).DrawingObject.Text

This was reported long time ago but not in good place:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/478f2cd7-6eb8-4a6d-aa18-816705998faf/unreleased-memory-on-property-get-for-shapeonaction?forum=excel#478f2cd7-6eb8-4a6d-aa18-816705998faf
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d003c27a-0834-41b6-a507-e629845f72db/unreleased-memory-on-property-get-for-shapeonaction-on-excel
    Then
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/c444b318-a659-477a-9ddd-aa04d3d30663/excel-2016-issue-memory-leak-when-reading-shape-properties
    Where Ashidacchi Hokusosha tell me for that place.

Regards

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Multiply Footnotes in Excel.

I have a working version of a Footnote Add-In which is being used in Financial Companies for years. Microsoft should include this Add-in in its future version of Excel.

This Addin adds a footnote, delete all references if the footnote is deleted or add new references. A superscripted footnote number(1,2,3, etc) or letter (a,b,c, etc) in added to the cell.
    Users can place all footnote references anywhere on a spreadsheet.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Expand co-authoring VBA script support to Worksheet.Protect method

Currently Worksheet.Protect method is not supported in co-authoring mode. When someone protects or unprotects a sheet with VBA script it will force other users to Refresh and discard their changes as Excel cannot merge the versions.

Worksheet.Protect should be added as supported method in co-authoring for creating more complex and useful protection solutions.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add a formula to show date modified similar to =TODAY()

Have a formula that can show the most recent modification date to the document similar to how =TODAY() shows today's date, =DATEMODIFIED() can show what day the last change was made.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Multiply footnotes in Excel

I have a working version of a Footnote Add-In which is being used in Financial Companies. Microsoft should include this Add-in in its future version of Excel.This Add-in, adds a footnote, delete or add new references. A superscripted footnote number(1,2,3, etc) in added to the cell.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. R as an Excel scripting language

Let us do scripting with the R language! Not only as an alternative to VBA, but also as an alternative to field functions (=SUM(A1:A2))

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Some VBA Language Enhancments

I'm using VBA User Forms intensively.
    What I would suggest is adding

1) Async-await feature of C#
    2) Task and parallel features of C#

3) Vba JSON Object

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. VBA method to export pictures

There should be a simple way to export pictures created in Excel. It appears that since at least 2000 we have been able to export Charts but not pictures, which seems very odd. We can cut and past them manual but not automate it.

I've used "Get and Transform" to automate a whole sheaf of visualisations in Excel ... and now the only way I can send them to anybody is laboriously cut and paste them into separate files and then use Word to create the emails concerned. Or have I got this wrong?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Get status of WorkbookQuery (Power Query) in VBA

Could you please consider possibility to add new property to object WorkbookQuery, that return status of query result. E.g. "N rows loaded", "Load to Data Model failed.", "Connection only".
    Currently I do not see option to catch query refresh issue in VBA.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Adding an UNDO feature to Excel VBA

Hey There,

There is no doubt that VBA is offering great solutions for companies and individuals. I have been working on VBA extensively for a year and the only thing that is still illogically unresolvable is the UNDO feature to VBA Excel.

I would really appreciate it if it possible to point out why it is not possible to add such a thing to EXCEL VBA.

Thanks in advance.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Try...Catch...Finally Statement for VBA

Please provide VBA with the Try...Catch...Finally Statement.

The VBA really needs this statement.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add a shortcut for incrementing variables (VBA)

The option to use variable++ as an equivalent to variable = variable + 1 would be very handy, I think.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. vba userforms

Please provide more controls on forms to improve its look and feel. 3D effects, animations on buttons, table formatting in text boxes, etc

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add ProgressBar control in VBA forms for Office 2016 64-bit

Is it possible to have a workbook that uses the ProgressBar control
    from mscomctl in 32-bit Excel, but does not use it (and does not give
    the user an error) in 64-bit Excel? Currently when I open the workbook in 64-bit Excel, I get an error that it can't find the library.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 9 11 13 16 17
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base