Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable collaboration with others editting in Excel desktop

In Word and PowerPoint you can collaborate from the desktop as well as online. In excel, whenever anyone opens the document on desktop others get locked out of editing and can only view. This is a problem for our organisation since occasionally remote team members need to edit the file on desktop but failure to close down the document properly (either accidentally or because the OS somehow did not release the file lock which has happened on Mac's) means the entire team is suddenly unable to work for extended periods until we track down the culprit.

202 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

59 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

= 2017-03-28 =

Hi all,

Great news – as of today, we’ve released co-authoring in Excel for Windows Desktop to anyone who is in the Insiders Fast group. If you’re an O365 subscriber, you can get yourself into that group by going to http://office.com/insider

Once you are an Insider (Fast), you can co-author on files stored in OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint Online, with anyone editing in Excel Online, or Excel on mobile (Android, Windows, and iOS).

We’d love to hear how it goes, and we encourage you to invite anyone you work with to also update to Insiders Fast (so that you can co-author with them).

You can read more at https://blogs.office.com/2017/03/28/new-office-365-march-co-authoring-excel/

Cheers,
      Dan [MS]

= older =
      Hi folks,
      As Guy mentioned, we are working on this now. It’s a lot of work, so it’s not going to be done super-quick, but rest assured that this is…

• Real-Time Co-Authoring for Excel Desktop

Hi,

Could you please give us an update on when Real-Time Co-Authoring for Excel Desktop will be available?

There are many businesses who have been patiently waiting for this for years.

The feature work brilliantly on Word, so we know you have the ability to do a great job of it!

I know it is available on Excel Online, but this can be slow and cumbersome - and not really suitable for many of the larger and more complex spreadsheets that we use.

Any update on the progress, or an ETA on when it will be available will be much…

15 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add Google Drive Service

It would be greater if I MS Office add Google Drive for user to open documents form that service as well.

5 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Allow Excel files to be easily compiled into a secure .exe file format to prevent copying.

Excel may be powerful, but its security is WEAK and can be HACKED easily. There are an increasing number of competitors who offer the ability to "compile" Excel files into a .exe file. It would be better if Microsoft offered this ability themselves.

4 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Sending selected worksheet over an email without any other sheets

I work on excel file with multiple sheets whenever i want to send my working i need to copy it to new excel and send it. Can we have option of sending the selected worksheet over an email as new excel file with the name as your worksheet.

This will reduce lot of time and data for not saving in multiple files. Helps user to check in single file.

4 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Enable user to choose what Workbook Structure options they want protected

When you protect the workbook structure, it prevents anyone from inserting, deleting, hiding, unhiding, moving or copying the sheets and even stops them from changing the tab colour. It would be nice if we could choose WHAT to protect (eg only deleting and unhiding sheets).

2 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Option to Export all sheets to individual CSV files

On the File > Export screen, a single button to "Export all sheets as CSV files" would be awesome. It can use the sheet name to name the files.

2 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Why not have the slider appear at the top of the embeded form so that it's not necessary to scrol it up to start reading.

Why not have the slider appear at the top of the embeded form so that it's not necessary to scroll up to start reading.

2 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• File Format which contains only value, no formula. e.g. "xlsf"

My idea is to create an own excel filefomat, which contain all spreadsheets and diagram etc. but only with cell values, not with formulas. Before saving, Excel will fill all cells with the actuall values. It's like selecting all sheets, copy, and paste only values.

If you send this file to other people, it doesn't matter if you use one, vba based, formula or formula which are excisting only in an add-in you use. It's like creating a pdf-file, but you've the full excel-support in your file and the files would be much smaller.

I work as an managing accountant…

2 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Compile excel files similar to powerpoint show

I would like the ability to 'compile' workbooks into a more secure file format similar to how you can save a powerpoint show. Something like *.xlcx or *.xlcm for compiled files.

User still need excel to open such files, but when they open it, there is a 'landing sheet/form', the ribbon bar is hidden completely, right-click menus disabled by default, and the users cannot maintain formulas or access the Visual Basic editor. For added security the VBA code in the worksheets and modules can be encrypted or for enhanced performance it can be compiled into lower level code?

Basically the…

2 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Change "Update Links on Save" to not change SharePoint Online URLs

I have a document with a full URL to another SharePoint Online document. If you open that Excel document stored in SharePoint Online and edit with Excel desktop it by default changes the full https://tenant.sharepoint.com URL to a relative path "../_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?"

This results in the hyperlink no longer working when the Excel doc is viewed in Excel Online or after download and open for viewing in the desktop app.

The Update Links on Save feature should not alter SharePoint Online URLs.

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Create method to link Excel into MS Healthvault

Create method to link Excel into MS Healthvault. This would allow users to use spreadsheets inside of MS Healthvault for dynamic data analysis.

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• No sign-in for anonymous sharing links

As an educator, we frequently use forms and excel surveys to collect data from students and teachers. Recently, we began having students submit links to their projects in 365 for grading purposes. At this time of year, we are doing online Science Fair Projects.

Recently, I put in a support request (SR#616113094969040) because we discovered that when students properly get a "View Only, No Sign-in Required" link for their project and submit it in a Form, the "no sign-in" part of the link is overridden. Teachers and outside users attempt to click the link in the Excel spreadsheet, but it…

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • sharing particular sheet by onedrive

At present i'm sharing excel sheet with edit option to all department heads. problem is all department heads can access others department details too. if you make option to choose the particular work sheet to share with edit option, then it's very useful for sharing with required sheet only.

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Custom Lists - list should be saved with file

when i create a custom list (from a range, for example), it is saved to my excel application, but the custom list does not go with the file, so another user does not have the same list, so cannot use it for sorting, etc.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Publish to Office 365 Group (Groups you are part of)

Easy way to publish documents from Word/Excel/powerpoint (Office 2016) into Office 365 groups.

Currently not available needs asap!

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• When protecting a worksheet, add option to allow users of the worksheet to add a row entry.

When protecting a worksheet, add option to allow users of the worksheet to add a row entry. Currently there are options to allow users of protected worksheets to edit entries and delete them but not to add new ones to the last row. EG: I have a worksheet which works out due dates based on last seen dates. The staff I work with are great but will type over the formula if left unprotected, this means I need to protect the worksheet on those columns. When I do this, the staff can add a line but the formula will not…

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• If you are in a Named Cell, Display the name somewhere

I am using a spreadsheet that makes rocket science look simple. This workbook has hundreds of named cells, but unless I go look in the Name Manager I have no idea a cell is named.

It would be nice if up at the top you displayed the name 'Name: Calc1' or something.

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Create a package function so that a user can easily move a file with all its external links from one computer to another

Create a package function so that a user can easily move an excel file with all its external links from one computer to another

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• autobiography template

I am thinking of giving an easy to read autobiography to the grandkids as so much of my personal information gets forgotten. I often think I wish I could remember what my Mum said about a certain time in her life and now shes gone those memories are gone with her.

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base