Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable collaboration with others editting in Excel desktop

In Word and PowerPoint you can collaborate from the desktop as well as online. In excel, whenever anyone opens the document on desktop others get locked out of editing and can only view. This is a problem for our organisation since occasionally remote team members need to edit the file on desktop but failure to close down the document properly (either accidentally or because the OS somehow did not release the file lock which has happened on Mac's) means the entire team is suddenly unable to work for extended periods until we track down the culprit.

160 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

42 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi folks,

As Guy mentioned, we are working on this now. It’s a lot of work, so it’s not going to be done super-quick, but rest assured that this is something the team is focused on.

Note: We’d still love to get votes for this request if it’s important to you.

Thanks,
      Dan [MS]

• Add Google Drive Service

It would be greater if I MS Office add Google Drive for user to open documents form that service as well.

3 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Allow Excel files to be easily compiled into a secure .exe file format to prevent copying.

Excel may be powerful, but its security is WEAK and can be HACKED easily. There are an increasing number of competitors who offer the ability to "compile" Excel files into a .exe file. It would be better if Microsoft offered this ability themselves.

3 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Why not have the slider appear at the top of the embeded form so that it's not necessary to scrol it up to start reading.

Why not have the slider appear at the top of the embeded form so that it's not necessary to scroll up to start reading.

2 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Enable user to choose what Workbook Structure options they want protected

When you protect the workbook structure, it prevents anyone from inserting, deleting, hiding, unhiding, moving or copying the sheets and even stops them from changing the tab colour. It would be nice if we could choose WHAT to protect (eg only deleting and unhiding sheets).

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Create method to link Excel into MS Healthvault

Create method to link Excel into MS Healthvault. This would allow users to use spreadsheets inside of MS Healthvault for dynamic data analysis.

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• No sign-in for anonymous sharing links

As an educator, we frequently use forms and excel surveys to collect data from students and teachers. Recently, we began having students submit links to their projects in 365 for grading purposes. At this time of year, we are doing online Science Fair Projects.

Recently, I put in a support request (SR#616113094969040) because we discovered that when students properly get a "View Only, No Sign-in Required" link for their project and submit it in a Form, the "no sign-in" part of the link is overridden. Teachers and outside users attempt to click the link in the Excel spreadsheet, but it…

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Custom Lists - list should be saved with file

when i create a custom list (from a range, for example), it is saved to my excel application, but the custom list does not go with the file, so another user does not have the same list, so cannot use it for sorting, etc.

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Option to Export all sheets to individual CSV files

On the File > Export screen, a single button to "Export all sheets as CSV files" would be awesome. It can use the sheet name to name the files.

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• When protecting a worksheet, add option to allow users of the worksheet to add a row entry.

When protecting a worksheet, add option to allow users of the worksheet to add a row entry. Currently there are options to allow users of protected worksheets to edit entries and delete them but not to add new ones to the last row. EG: I have a worksheet which works out due dates based on last seen dates. The staff I work with are great but will type over the formula if left unprotected, this means I need to protect the worksheet on those columns. When I do this, the staff can add a line but the formula will not…

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Create a package function so that a user can easily move a file with all its external links from one computer to another

Create a package function so that a user can easily move an excel file with all its external links from one computer to another

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• MS Excel File Management

Excel (or word or MS office files) files created are not that hard to maintain. But If we are working on some medium projects, certainly number of excel files going to increase. Let us assume that the number of excel files have crossed to the point where you don't know which is which and even if you open the correct file still deep down you feel that the current opened excel might not be the latest.

What I am trying to say is that version control, file naming convention & saving a document by default location (safe from system failure)…

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Set up notifications for file changes from within Excel

In Office 365 we can now subscribe to file changes. It would be nice to set up these subscriptions/notifications within Office apps instead of having to open the browser and find the file we are currently in to set it up. Even if there is just a single button in Excel to take us directly to that file on the web and set up the notification. It would save a ton of clicks getting there.

Just opening "File Location" from the File menu isn't quite good enough if there are dozens/hundreds of files in a folder.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Improve onedrive so that changes to a shared workbook update to everyone a lot faster and more reliably.

Improve onedrive so that changes to a shared workbook update to everyone a lot faster and more reliably.

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • SharePoint List Sync

Bring back the SharePoint List sync feature enabling 2-way synchronization between an Excel table and a SharePoint Online List.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• easy export of entire workbook or reference to chart objects into PowerBI

I love working in Excel. I love the new PowerBI but it's not yet that mature enough to invest spending time on the online dev section. I'd rather work on my desktop editions.

Basically, I would love to take my excel workbooks and export everything - including charts - into PoweBI as easily as Excel does the copy/move worksheets into PowerBI. If PowerBI automatically does the calcs with DAX instead of regular functions from Excel, holy crap. I could learn DAX easily and be super super confident in using Excel/PowerBI as my all-in one analysis/publishing workflow.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• quick view how to use everything it has to offer

There are those that are naturally talented on a excel and can find his way around with ease, then there is 30% that has no clue how it all works, those are the 60's generation, you would get a lot more people buying excel if there was some explanation short training video what the benefits are and how to use it to making their life a little more organized

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• FIX dropdowns across versions

Quite often when you send an Excel file to someone who does not have the same version as the originator, the dropdowns don't work.

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

How it works

• Create a user account if you want to add a new suggestion or vote on existing suggestions.
                                      • Select one of the feedback forums listed.
                                      • Check out the ideas others have suggested and vote on your favorites.
                                      • Be sure to search for your suggestion but if you can’t find something similar enough, you can submit your own.
                                      • Keep suggestions focused on a single idea per post and limited to 25 words or less.
                                      • When you post an idea to our forum, others will be able to subscribe to it and make comments.