Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable Excel to send a Task to Outlook

Some users use Excel for tracking of various tasks or operational reviews. At the end, follow-up minutes and tasks will have to be created. It would be great to have a function like in OneNote to create a Task in Outlook. Information about Due Date and Assignee should be embeddable into the cell with a little popup window.
    When in Outlook, you should be able to click the task and go back to the Excel document (and specific cell) stored on the SharePoint.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Threaded Comments Features

1. Since we are collaborating, it would be nice to have the ability to filter the comments for @mentions. This is helpful to make sure that I reply to everything I needed to.

2. The @mention email notifications are not detailed. It should include more information, including the cell identification.

3. Ability to choose if we want to display all comments or just comments for a particular cell.

4. @Mention with an option to require reply from one or more of the individuals in a comment. If no reply, send follow up email notification. Maybe even have the ability for…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow brackets in filename or path

When a person's display name contains a bracket character (such as a departmental suffix) this bracket is included in the folder name of a OneDrive shared folder. When a recipient of that OneDrive shared folder attempts to modify an Excel spreadsheet and save it back to the shared folder, they will see an error that the file could not be saved due to invalid characters in the filename or path. If Excel could support the bracket character in the filename or path this would no longer be an issue. (An alternative solution would be to allow admins an option to…

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Filtering Needs to Work in Co-Authoring

Say that several people are editing the same workbook. If Tom filters to show only his records, then the other people will only see Tom's records. We need to be able to have each person apply a different filter and see only their records.
    Note that it is fine to require that the workbook can not have SUBTOTAL or AGGREGATE functions in order for independent filtering to work. If you allow these functions, then everyone will have different calculation results which would be problematic.
    It is more important to us to be able to have each person apply a local…

255 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Dynamic Resource

Automatically setup resources to be notified/alerted by an e-mail on tasks starting date of pre-set task description/instruction/schedule

Also, at the beginning of each project, an email notification for each resource member of his/her (only) tasks/schedule on this project

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Show all comments in workbook, not just on active sheet

I'm liking the new threaded comments feature as this allows us to track issues in models and resolve them before release. As a reviewer, however, it would be good to be able to see all comments (i.e. issues) in the workbook, rather than just the ones on the active sheet.

Also, it might be useful to be able to assign (multiple?) user-defined categories to comments (for example 'urgent', 'completed', 'UI', 'performance') and be able to filter the list for these items.

Thanks!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Please enable workbook sharing with PivotTables and Maps

Please update workbook sharing so that we can share workbooks even if they have 3D maps or PivotTables and please bring the 3D map feature to Excel online.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Feature to directly upload the file to the google drive

Feature to directly upload the file to the google drive may be under "file" menu option instead of going to the google Drive, select upload file option and upload the file

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. An opening note/how-to written by author

As someone who has inherited a lot of excel workbooks with a lot of data or names but no info for how it was organized, last updated, etc. It would be great if there was a feature to write a sort of welcome to this workbook, here's what you need to know, how often this should be updated, where to find the information or any other type of instructions that the previous author of a workbook would tell a new owner of the workbook.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Since Access is not cloud based (Desktop only), and is not updated post 2016 - why can't Excel have more database features like AirTable?

Please check out the feature set of AirTable for ease of use and easy set-up and powerful but simple tools. Microsoft currently has nothing approaching the ease-of-use of this product (where data can be stored in the cloud) and accessible across multiple devices.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow Edit Excel BUT Disable copy/paste/cut/move&copy/print/download/save to new excel

I would like to share a file with other people, with restrictions:- Users would only have the option to edit and view the file but cannot copy/paste/cut/move&copy/print/download/save to new excel.

This is to protect the file from sharing with unwanted parties.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Office online Protection

I want to protect the online excel for certain people and allow other people to have access for editing certain ranges.
    How can i do that?
    I tried Allow user to edit range, it doesnt work and it protects the whole sheet with no option to edit even if I allow myself to have power to edit

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Re-instate threaded comments

Please bring back threaded comments. It has made alot of my work un editable..

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Bring back Notes from the previous build.

I don't understand why the old Note system was entirely removed. It functioned perfectly as a simplified system of comments. I just need to leave a small amount of additional data which can be viewed quickly by mousing over the cell. The new comment system is cumbersome by comparison, and adds no value for my purposes.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Live updates while collaborating

When saving in Google Sheets we can almost instantly see each others changes live, Excel takes approx 60 secs before any changes are shown and sometimes asks us to reload the entire document. Can Google sheets be used as a benchmark of speed required for collaborative working in 2019... collaborative features are unworkable in their current state.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Make an application blockchain software and connect to excel. so we can trace our original product for business. In the future it is necessa

Make an application blockchain software and connect to excel. so we can trace our original product for business. In the future it is necessary,because every business need transparency

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Centralize all coments and notes.

I work with many sheets with one final centralized sheet. The are many comments and notes everywhere. I would like the Comments to have a centralized section where I can see all of them from all sheets; same with notes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Bring back the Share Workbook function - I'm not uploading anything to the Cloud and my team need to access worksheets

Bring back this function - it's widely used by businesses and uploading to the cloud is not an option for us.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. compare 2 spreadsheets for changes and discrepancies. It's ridiculous that this can't be achieved without outside help

compare 2 spreadsheets for changes and discrepancies. It's ridiculous that this can't be achieved without outside help

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base