Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. make excel 2016 as stable as previous versions

Make Excel 2016 as stable as previous versions
    We run complex spreadsheets with conditional formatting and links between spreadsheets and macros to drive behavior - this is both inherently slow (on various different computers) and unstable - crashes almost daily
    Previous versions of Excel handled these same spreadsheets cleanly and easily !!!

92 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

20 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Fix the black and grey boxes that cover the screen when you scroll

Whenever I scroll too fast in Excel on my PC black and grey boxes appear everywhere and cover what I am working on. This is incredibly frustrating because there is no way to get rid of the boxes.

This only happens on my external display and it only happens in Excel.

Please fix this issue.

https://superuser.com/questions/1053006/excel-grey-and-black-boxes-on-secondary-display

39 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Correct floating point bug

In Excel 97 there was a fix for an issue with floating point arithmetic, specifically, when a value reaches zero as is explained in the "Example when a value reaches zero" section at this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/78113

However, this does not work in current version when the last operand is a 0. For example, using the example given in the section referenced above,

A1 = 1.333
        A2 = 1.225
        A3 = -1.333
        A4 = -1.225
        A5 = ""

=SUM(A1:A5) gives the correct answer = 0

However, if A5 = 0 instead of being blank, then the sum returns -2.22045E-16

After investigating…

14 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Better testing with large, complex workbooks

I work with a large, complex workbook (several MBytes, about 150 worksheets). Excel crashes several times per day, and even crashes Windows 10 regularly with a stack overflow. Simple VBA code that works with small workbooks will regularly crash Excel (e.g., For Each ws In wb.Worksheets; do something simple; next ws). I suspect that the problems are memory or stack related, but my real request is for the testers to specifically create test cases based on huge workbooks, then see what happens.

14 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’d love to get samples of these workbooks that are crashing, along with steps that cause them to crash. Until then, there’s not much we can do without more data.

If you have such a workbook, please create a new idea entitled “I have a workbook that crashes, which I want to send you” and I’ll get back to you with an email address where you can send it so we can take a look and fix the problem.

Thanks!
            Dan [MS]

• Remove the pointless message “There's a problem with the clipboard, but you can still paste your content within this workbook."

The message shows up if you run in the background a program that keeps a peek into the clipboard, as for example the "Skype web plugin" and other telephone programs. A possible cause can also be the software "Audials".

You can find a thread with lots of complaints and a few flimsy justifications and non-answers here:
            https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_win10/clipboard-problem-in-excel-2016/224b2a59-8a0c-4897-baba-a481dd06e085

The message shows up with Ctrl+C, Ctrl+X, using the Format Painter and only taking whole cells. It does not show up if you copy a part of a cell content.

Contrary to some Microsoft officials’ posts, the error message shows up multiple times…

12 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • 7 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Not responding!!!

Not responding most of the time, especially half way through, and suddenly all files became "not responding". The only way is to go to Task Manager to End Tasks. Meaning, most of the work will be lost and wasted.
                Wonder if Microsoft can pay (Using Money) us back with such valuable data lost?
                Constantly saving files is one thing but we don't know when (everytime using) it will freeze.

7 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Wrong cell selected after scrolling in spreadsheets attached to OneNote

When you open a spreadsheet attached to OneNote, if you scroll down using a touchpad or touchscreen gesture rather than the on-screen sliders, then click on a cell, the wrong cell is selected. For example, if I scroll two rows downwards (using a touchpad gesture), then click on a cell, a cell two rows above the cell I clicked on is selected instead.
                  Please fix this bug. It has been present since Excel 2013, and is still there in Excel 2016.

5 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Excel alerts in a confusing way when opening password protected files from SharePoint

When opening a password protected file in Excel Desktop for Windows, it says The file is locked for editing by another user and the prompt button is to save as with no indication that the initial text is clickable to move you to the file tab and choose Check Out from there. And if one does successfully navigate this hurdle and check out the file, the alert DOES NOT GO AWAY. It appears to my users (and to me and I do this for a living) as if the file is still read only as it says in the Title…

5 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Correct status bar calculation

Status bar calculates according to formatted numbers in cell. So, if there is a number format :
                      # ##0.00;[Red]# ##0
                      and you enter -2
                      the sum in status bar will be : 2

5 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• when saving Excel Files on a networkfolder it will be saved with a strange extension xlsx.sb-

The permisions for the user to access the server are not the problem, there are no other issues with creating files or opening / saving files.

The name of the temporary folder contains the name of the orginal file followed by a lot of numbers and letters.

The original file has the name: 'Test 2016',
                        the temporary map: 'Test 2016.xlsx.sb-f535ac32-iM6gfn'. But the next time the last part of the letters and numbers are different. The bold part stays the same.

Every time you save the file it makes an other empty folder.

Seems to have appeared after last Office 2016…

5 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Please fix =IRR generating #NUM! error with large numbers

I have a series of cashflows, mainly with negative IRRs which mostly generate #NUM! errors. The numbers are very large as they are expressed in Vietnamese ****, so are in the multi-billions. In some cases a very minor change (ie of a few ****) will allow IRR to generate correctly. I increased the number of permitted iterations (to >1000) and the Maximum Change, with no effect. Guesses very close to the actual IRR were little help.

It was fixed by dividing all numbers in the cashflow by 1,000,000. But it would be much better if Excel could work with large…

5 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Fix mouse scroll in tables from power query

Somehow mouse scroll does not work in tables created from power query. It does work if you alt tab out, and back into excel though. But please fix this issue.

5 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Improvement suggestion for handling single quotes in csv filenames

Hi there,

first, I was a unsure, if I had to post the following into the category "Application error" or "Opening and saving files". As Excel produces a file repair, I opted for the category "Application error". Hope, this is the right one.

If you open a CSV file in Excel, then the sheet name is set to the CSV filename. For example if the CSV filename is Orders.csv, then the sheet name becomes Orders. You can then save the CSV file as XLSX file for getting full Excel functionality. All fine here.

Now, Excel does not allow all characters…

5 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Fix the "Auto-Save Has Been Suspended for this Session" bug

Seemingly randomly, Excel will decide to pop up this error message. Once it happens, I know I'm screwed because any attempt to save the workbook will fail. The only way to prevent from losing changes is to copy them to a new workbook, save that workbook and then restart excel and copy changes back into the origin workbook.

This happens with huge spreadsheets and small ones, and I've even seen it pop up when I was not interacting with Excel at all. I.e. I was in a different application at the time, so I don't have a solid repro. That…

4 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Excel 2016 Bug with Cursor - Right to Left Languages

I have several computers. two of them is with Windows 10 and Office 2013/2016.
                                  I noticed a bug with the typing cursor.
                                  I use both English, a left-to-right language, and Hebrew, a right-to-left language, and each has a different typing cursor, a straight line ( | ) for left-to-right and a "hyphenated" line ( `| ) for right to left.
                                  The problem is that in Excel 2016, the moment I switch my language to Hebrew and type something, it locks the cursor in the right-to-left configuration, even when I switch back to English, which gets very confusing, since the appearance…

4 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Fix all the non informative error messsages

"The picture is too large and will be truncated",
                                    "Too many styles",
                                    There is a large selection in the clipboard..."
                                    "Save as csv"...
                                    "save failed"
                                    modal error boxes in the VBA editor when a line of code is not completed.
                                    and VBA error messages with error codes and no further explanations.

I don't think any of these error messages is helpful, they slow our workflow, and modern applications have a more graceful way of dealing with these problems.

3 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make Excel work better with OneDrive

Please put some work into file synchronization with OneDrive (personal and OneDrive for Business).

I am constantly having synchronization trouble with Excel files stored on OneDrive. I have used Excel with Office 365 in a personal environment and in a corporate environment, on Windows and Mac OS X, and on different kinds of networks. There is always a problem with Excel files going out of sync.

Frequently, the server and the local version are claimed to be different but turn out to be identical. I never have a problem with Word or PowerPoint, but have trouble from once a week…

3 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• To correct Dutch language version

Dears,
                                        The Dutch language version of excel 2016 (and I expect other versions) has an annoying mistake. You can add a polynomial trend-line to a XY-graph. You can specify the order of the polynomial, the default being 2 for square (i.e. as in ax^2+bx+c). In the Dutch language version this has been translated with 'volgorde'; 'volgorde' translates back into English as 'sequence', which is obviously synonymous to 'order'.
                                        The source of this translation mistake is therefore clear as the wrong synonym was taken. It is either a machine translation mistake, or a human mistake where the human was probably not…

3 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Correct Representation of "0"-Values

Ich habe hier ein interessantes Phänomen (Excel 2013 Windows Desktop):
                                          In der Spalte "Tagessaldo" befindet sich eine sorgfältig geschriebene Abfrage,
                                          die dazu führen soll, dass Zeitwerte <0 dargestellt werden können.
                                          Im vorliegenden Beispiel behauptet Excel nun, der Wert wäre kleiner als
                                          0, obwohl es ihn in allen von mir versuchten Darstellungen mit "0", "00:00:00"
                                          "0,0000000000000000E+00" ausgibt.
                                          Mein daraus folgender Vorschlag: Korrigieren Sie diesen FEHLER!
                                          Noch besser wäre natürlich eine generelle Überarbeitung der Zeitformate,
                                          sodass solche Hilfskonstruktionen überflüssig wären.
                                          ALSO:
                                          1) Darstellung von negativen Zeitwerten als "-hh:mm:ss" statt als Fehler
                                          2) Verwenden von Zeiten im der Darstellung "-hh:mm:ss" in Berechnungen.

Was…

3 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base