Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I want to deselect the cell which I copied from after pasting. At the moment, to deselect the cell I copied from, I have to hit Esc button.

I copied data from a cell.
    I click Ctrl V to paste the data onto another cell.
    But right now, I have to hit Esc button to deselect/remove the dotted lines/take away the focus from the originally copied cell. Does this sound right to you??? N O ! ! ! There is a problem.
    Usually, after copying from a cell, you paste the data onto another cell and the original cell which you copied from gets deselected with no dotted lines surrounding the cell. Also, usually after pasted the data onto another cell, if you start typing in another cell,…

166 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

75 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • The download button in a The Embeded Excel will not work in Sharepoint and Onedrive for Bussiness

When I click the download button on a Embeded excel that is stored in sharepoint or onedrive for business it will not work.

10 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • [Bug] Multiple instances upon opening multiple Office Documents

Starting with Version 16.0.8625.2121 of Office (tested with Word and Excel) - when you select multiple documents in the Explorer and hit Enter to open them, you will end up with instances to the count of the previous selected documents.

To reproduce do the following steps:
        1. Create 2 empty Excel Workbooks anywhere on your machine
        2. Select those 2 files
        3. Hit Enter
        4. Check Taskmanager and you will see 2 instances of Excel

In earlier versions than 16.0.8625.2121 you would end up with only 1 instance.

Tested with
        16.0.4266.1003 - pretty old image we had around than we…

3 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • BUG: Second blank window opens after minimizing of maximized excel window

I have opened excel window as a common user. The window is maximized. After minimizing it excel create second blank window, which is connected to the first one (see attached file). Then, when I want to work with excel sheet, all popups opens in the blank window (which is annoying especialy if I am working with formulas). I cannot close this blank window without closing all opened correct excel files.

When I doesnt have excel window maximized, it doesnt make problems. Only If I open excel file and it is open maximized.

I didnt find this issue when I open…

10 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • 4 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • flickering

After the recent Office updates, my cursor is flickering in Excel, making it very difficult to do my job. The flickering is making me physically ill because of an eye issue I have and it's hard to work in Excel for more than 30 seconds at a time. I use Excel all day for my work and this is a major issue for me right now. I understand it's being worked on, but would love an update and hope that this is something that will be resolved ASAP?

2 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• 1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Stop coming up with new ideas. You obviously are making it too difficult for yourselves

End of the semester and microsoft has managed to make my excel spreadsheet useless. I lost another file that I need. Microsoft really sucks.

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Error With Protect Sheets

The Error was introduced on 08/25/2017 in Office 365 ProPlus Excel 2016 version 1708 (build 8431.2046), as shown below.

The error occurs when some range of cells as "Unprotected" are selected and this selection is change to “Protect”, making a "Select Locked Cells" and "Select Unlocked Cells" options unchecked, the sheet will be blocked all together. The user can’t click on any cell. However, by right clicking on any cell, the Clear Content option will appear, and clicking on it will clear the cell that was previously unlocked from the protection, losing the data and invalidating the sheet protection. Another…

12 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Fix - Some users lose fill colour formatting when they add a header

For some users when they add a header to the document and add anything to the header it automatically changes the fill colour display on the rest of the document. When the user closes the header (or switches from page display to normal display) the fill colours show up again. It happens to only some users when everyone is on the same windows (10) and excel version (1708). We tried updating the display driver and ran all the windows updates as well as all the excel updates. I've called Microsoft support and the technician found the same problem on their…

5 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Excel 2016 is unstable when opening multiple spreadsheets.

Fix Excel 2016 to open multiple spreadsheets in one instance. Excel 2016 becomes unstable when opening over 5 or 10 spreadsheets and simply locks up forcing me to use the task manager to close everything and then opening just a few spreadsheets at a time.

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• We have a simple spreadsheet that doesn't calculate correctly if the window isn't big enough to display the entire worksheet.

A simple, but multi-tabbed, spreadsheet is used to collect vessel stats at our marina. If the spreadsheet is opened for daily data entry and the window is not large enough to show the entire width of the worksheet, then Excel does not calculate correctly (a simple addition across several columns), it does not add in the last column's data. This happens when the last column's data is entered and the cursor automatically goes to the first column in the next row (via using protected columns).

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• 1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Fix WEBDAV drive map issue starting with release 1705.

The most current versions of the Office 365 software have caused problems opening files over a mapped WebDAV drive. This process worked up until release 1705, then stopped working with that and subsequent releases. Excel files must be copied to a local drive to be opened. This problem only occurs in Excel, not in Word, Powerpoint, or Access. The error message states that Excel 'cannot open the file', no further information. The problem does not occur when drives are mapped directly. Our WebDAV file server is running HTTP Commander, and has not been reconfigured or updated during the time frame…

2 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Köprü kullanımı

Çalışma dosyası içinde örnek olarak A sayfasından B sayfasına köprü ile bağlantı tanımlıyorum. B Sayfası içine satır eklentisi veya silmesi yaptığımda A sayfasındaki tanımlı köprünün adresi değişmediği için yanlış hücreye gidiyor. B sayfasında yapılan değişikliklerde A sayfasındaki köprü adresininde değişmesi gerekir.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Excel Linking

Since my latest excel update yesterday a multi-file, linked model is not working properly. The link within one reference file are not updating. Even when I manually edited the link to the files they did not update. Additionally, the formulae within the cells show the entire file path despite the fact that the files are open.

Do I need to recreate the formulae?

2 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Sorting bug in excel

I found a bug in excel. If I have a 2-column list, and columb B has formulas like "=Sheet1!A2", "=Sheet1!A3" and so on, and I sort column A, column B doesnt sort correctly.

However, if I change the unsorted list to "=A2", "=A3", and then sort, column B sorts correctly.

In the attached file try sorting column A on both sheets. You'll see the difference.

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Data->Text to columns occasionally truncates field to 255 characters

As demonstrated by the attached file, certain strings with a comma delimiter will result in the TTC wizard truncating the field at 255 characters.

Other strings will split normally (without truncation). The Column Splitter in "Get & Transform" will also function as expected.

This erratic behavior seems to unpredictable and has also been noted by another in Excel 2010, 2013, 2016 both English and German versions.

Please correct it, or at least publish a method by which this misbehavior can be predicted.

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Confirmed bug: Created values are in wrong format if sheet is not selected

Hello,

I am dealing with quite a problem. I have a big workbook with Macros included and recently the fonts/formats of some cells are different. This appears also on old versions of this workbook, where it surely worked before and does not occur on Excel 2010. It started about 3-4 weeks ago, so I guess its a bug within the office system after an update.

Say we have 2 worksheets (Tab1 and Tab2) .

Case1:

Tab1 is selected/active and a macro is started, which creates hyperlinks in tab2 and selects and pastes them after that to tab1. Outcome: The created…

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Improve following: ="UFO " & TEXT(C2,"dd/mm/aaaa") works in region Spain, but does not convert to "dd/mm/yyyy" on changing region to USA.

A cell contains the formula ="UFO " & TEXT(C2,"dd/mm/aaaa"). C2 has value 31/12/2017 in date/month/year. This works in in Spanish regional configuration where aaaa is recognized as year because the Spanish word for year begins with a. When I change to USA regional configuration it no longer works, because in USA aaaa is not recognized as year.

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base