Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Sort by designated row in a multi-row header

PROBLEM: We continually face a problem with sorting tables (Excel and Word) if we employ two or more rows for the column headings in the table.

DISCUSSION: First, it is not uncommon for tables to have headings of two or more rows. Often the first row includes labels that group the sub-labels in the second row and so on. However, we cannot create such headings because they disrupt the sort feature used with tables. Second, the visual or printed headings may not be conducive to the sort feature.

As such, the user often has to use workarounds where multi-row column…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Search option in Recent workbooks

Can include "Recent Search" option in the "Recent Open" to make simpler way of finding recent opened files instead of scrolling up and down. Pls give feedback if it ok.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Alphanumeric sorting

Can't we sort things by number and letter at the same time? For instance 01, 02, 02a, 02ac, 03, 07, 07a, 07d, 08a51, 08a52, 08b11, 10b67a...
    you get the picture.

Why are we locked in to only numbers listed first, and then numbers with letters?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Hello there! Wouldn't it be good if an option to filter a row not just an option to filter a column be included in your excel application?

Hello there! Wouldn't it be good if an option to filter a row not just an option to filter a column be included in your excel application?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. filter columns

why can you not filter on columns like we do rows?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Make last sort order the default for the next sort.

I find that, no matter how many times a day I sort lists, at some point they revert to "My data has headers" and thus do not sort the first item in a list. As has been done with the last-used source cell(s) for copying, please set the last-used sort order as a default. It's easier to select for headers once than to de-select multiple times.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Microsoft Excel stopped working

Hi,

I am working on an excel with almost 1000+ columns and 10sheets. The moment I add 5columns in each sheet and then try to delete the columns again, excel stops working.

I added the 5 columns because I needed them but later on they were not needed and I had to remove them. Each time i tried to save the file, it stopped working. I understand I have described the issue in a much simpler way but in real it is actually so much frustrating to do one simple thing multiple times that finally I thought to post it.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. sort paragraph numbering

Sort by multi-level paragraph numbering like 1, 1.1, 1.1.1, 2, 2.1, 2.1.1 etc

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Have Autofiltering for both Rows and Columns

If you could enable Auto filters on the Row headers the way you currently do for columns it would allow you to hide columns that do not contain the data you want to see in that row. I have large check sheets with many columns and would like to just tell it to show me all the columns in row 4 that contain "x" data, the same way you can do it with columns currently

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Ability to highlight the data that is duplicated - in Remove Duplicates

I want the ability to see the Duplicates that Excel would remove if I pressed the "Remove Duplicate" button.

I review a lot of Site, Ordering, SKU, EAN numbers - there are times when I want to see the items that are duplicated in the data - i.e. the site number of a retail store. I normally work around this by copying the data into a new tab, using an the Remove Duplicate and writing a count statement to the original tab and then working back through the data to identify the duplicated data.
    This solution would allow me to…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Right Click Paste in Filter

After copying .....
    In the search field of the filter drop down, one cannot paste using the right click button of the mouse, can we have that enabled?

Thanks,
    Nischay

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. option for labeling a group

For example, if i have a small range of columns that relate to fees, and I group these togather, then i can assign a label Fees to this, and just use this for any calculus

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. When selecting filter, automatically select the search bar

Currently, when I select the filter dropdown, I need to click the search bar within to begin typing a search parameter. Please automatically select the search bar so I can begin typing when I open the filter dropdown. Thank you.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. I want to filter data that has 10,000+ unique data points. I was on with your tech support and they said excel only recognizes the first.

I have a spreadsheet with over 40,000 rows. One of the columns includes customer full name. I opened a case b/c when I went to filter on this column, it was only showing me the first 10,000 rows :-o Your tech support told me excel has a limit of the first 10,000 unique datapoints. I couldn't even filter out the blanks :-o This is crazy to me. Please fix this so I can have the same sorting capability in a file with 40,000+ rows as I would a spreadsheet with 10 rows.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Paste a list in the filter box

Hello,

It would be really interesting to be able to Paste multiple items in the filtering when the copy was done from another table.

For example, if one receives an email with a small table containing a 4 items table, to filter this information for more details one should copy-paste each element and tick on the "Add current selection to filter". It would be of great help to copy the table, paste it into the filter and get automatically the selection.

Thanks for your consideration.
    Best Wishes,
    Arthur

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Tables with rows as the headers

Tables are really great for managing data. Sometime It would be useful if the table could have the rows as the header rather than the columns. e.g. a regular excel table but transposed.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Sort tabs

Sort tabs
    To sort worksheet tabs in alphabetical order. Want to be able to right click on a worksheet tab and choose Sort.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Fix filter annoyances

1) Bug: when panes are frozen, in the moment when filter is applied the sheet is being violently scrolled horizontally in a random direction, hiding the active column.
    Please do not scroll on filter application.

2) Missing functionality: The filter popup list can be re-sized to show more or wider items. Unfortunately the size of the popup is not remembered on the next pop.

Many thanks!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Filter empty cells

Since I usually work with long filters it would be helpful, that thick box for empty cels would be on the top. Thank you.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base