Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Filter by Cell Color - ALL Colored Cells

Right now, you can filter by a single color or no color, but you cannot filter for ALL colored cells. In my mind, it is the same concept as filtering out the blanks and leaving all cells with values. If you are looking at the picture I attached, I want to be able to see the peach and blue rows at the same time, without the white.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. "Custom View" in worksheets containing tables

I hate having to chose between the functionality of a table and the ability to simplify views for people who use the spreadsheet for different purposes and want to see only certain columns.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Indication of filtered columns

When working with data sets with multiple columns, sometimes it is painful to find out which column I have filter applied on, particularly if you do not want to cancel all of them (basically scrolling left/right looking for those little icons) Maybe some popup window or "Go To" feature that would point you to what columns are being filtered.

Thanks a lot :)

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Data validation rules do not extend while adding new rows in a table.

While formulas in columns extend with new rows added to a table, data validation rules do not. That's unintuitive and very inconvenient.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Increase Locked Table Length

Please PLEASE allow tables to expand when the sheet is locked! At the moment I have had to write code to unprotect the sheet, expand the table, and reprotect! This is labourious and time consuming. Implement this option to make tables even more powerful!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. option for labeling a group

For example, if i have a small range of columns that relate to fees, and I group these togather, then i can assign a label Fees to this, and just use this for any calculus

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Power Query / Edit a query in advanced editor directly in Excel

As a user, allow me to use the power query "advanced editor" directly in Excel's interface so people that know the M language can speed up the process of modifying the queries and see the results without entering the power query editor.

For example, you could clic on Excel Ribbon's:
    Data/Get & transform/Show queries
    -> right click one of the workbook's queries and there find the option "Advance editor"
    -> the advanced editor window would open, without opening the whole Power Query window
    -> change the query's code
    -> click save and load
    -> see the changes without leaving the…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Allow re-ordering columns of filtered table

Have you ever had this happen to you?

You just finish filtering a large table, so exactly the records of interest are displayed. However, the columns now of most interest are not next to each other, so you try to move the entire column next to each other. Excel throws an error saying it can't reorder columns of a filtered table. HUH?

This is a long-time problem. It's just plain silly that this hasn't been fixed yet. When a table has any sort of filter applied, Excel refuses to allow re-ordering of the columns of data. The only workaround appears…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Apply Subtotals to a Table

It would be nice to apply Subtotals to a Table. Currently, you have to convert a Table back to a Range, and then apply Subtotals.

When you convert a Range to a Table, the Sort/Filter arrows become available automatically and makes it convenient. You also have to sort data to apply Subtotals. It is seems to me that it would be good to have to the two features (Tables and Subtotals) work together.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Dynamic searching in the Filter mode like in Google

Dynamic searching in the Filter mode like in Google

Nowadays every second is very important working with Excel. I have watched one video in youtube where one guy invented how to make dynamic searching and select the item by writing text in it like google search. He show this invention with Developer tools. But I believe that this tool can built-in in the filter mode. Currently filter works when i write the full word in the box and press enter. The new one option could provide more interactive approach to filter items.

See video how this guy did it in…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Table cells cannot be merged.

You have to convert the table into a normal range of cells in order to merge cells.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Header selection while sorting

While sorting data after selecting all cells in sheet, allow us to specify how many rows at the top constitute the header and should not be sorted.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. shortcut to remove all filters

easy shortcut to remove all the filters on tables in a worksheet.

I work in finance and always filtering and unfiltering multiple columns, it would be fantastic and save so much time to have this shortcut.

thank you
    Samantha Casey

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Put "Blanks" at the top of the drop-down filter list

Currently "Blanks" appears at the bottom of the drop-down list. It would be helpful if it appeared at the top of that list. That way if you were searching for an entry, with the intent of keying it if it was missing, you wouldn't have to go to the bottom of a potentially long list to get to "Blanks".

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add Sort Option to sort 'blank/no value' cells first or last

Please add a sort option where the user can specify if they want blank cells sorted at the beginning or the end.

When sorting it doesn't matter if ascending or descending is selected, currently blank cells always sort at the bottom of the table. I'd like to see the ability for the user to select if they want blank cells in a table sorted at first. Attached is a perfect place to put it.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Return to original row in table after applying and clearing filter

After applying a filter to a table and reviewing/editing the filtered data, clearing the filter should take you back to your starting row.

At the moment it usually takes you back to the top of the table, though sometimes it seems to pick a random row. I'm normally working at the bottom of the table.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. My suggestion is to have additional TOGGLE command or feature in MS EXCEL while putting filter.

Greetings!!

My suggestion is to have additional TOGGLE command or feature in MS EXCEL while putting filter. One can put filter to available fields for example A, B, C, D and E. When I put filter to A and B, and then I want to put TOGGLE filter like C, D and E, it's time consuming. This new TOGGLE feature or command will be really helpful when there will be large number of data. Example showing short data with five numbers only. Thank You!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Alphanumeric sorting

Can't we sort things by number and letter at the same time? For instance 01, 02, 02a, 02ac, 03, 07, 07a, 07d, 08a51, 08a52, 08b11, 10b67a...
    you get the picture.

Why are we locked in to only numbers listed first, and then numbers with letters?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow the user to select multiple sheets in a workbook and merge them into one sheet in the same workbook.

Allow the user to select multiple sheets in a workbook and merge them into one sheet in the same workbook. This is extremely useful where a data collection has been done with feedback from multiple members, and a merge of information is now required. Pivot tabling does not help as it remains with the requirement that all the data is already in one sheet

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. change formula of calculated column without overwriting all cells

Often when using tables it is convenient to have a calculated column providing default values. I also want to have the ability to overwrite specific cells within that column with fixed values or other formulas. All of this is possible however once overwritten values have been made it is impossible to change the default formula without overwriting all of the manually entered cells with the new default formula. What I would like is a way to update the default formula (and have it automatically replace all cells using the old default formula) without having to overwrite the manually entered cells.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base