Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow to add filter to a new column without removing exiting filter for other columns

(Excel 2016) Assume you have a few columns with the filter turned on. Then
    1. you insert a new column which has no filter.
    2. you select this column and click Data -> Filter
    3. Excel removes all existing filters, the second click on Data -> Filter applies the filter to the selected column.

On Step 3 Excel should NOT remove the existing filters

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to Paste to Filtered Cells

We need to have the ability to paste to filtered cells. One of the main uses cases of spreadsheet software is the ability to filter out a subset of data from a larger group and perform functions on that filtered data. Pasting data is one of the most basic, and essential operations.

Currently the software pastes the data that we copied from only visible cells, into all cells visible and invisible. This functionality is absolutely moronic, if we wanted to paste data that way, we wouldn't have filtered it in the first place. The fact that this software can't do…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Save a custom sort

I think it would be beneficial if there was an option to save a custom sort

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. change formula of calculated column without overwriting all cells

Often when using tables it is convenient to have a calculated column providing default values. I also want to have the ability to overwrite specific cells within that column with fixed values or other formulas. All of this is possible however once overwritten values have been made it is impossible to change the default formula without overwriting all of the manually entered cells with the new default formula. What I would like is a way to update the default formula (and have it automatically replace all cells using the old default formula) without having to overwrite the manually entered cells.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Increase Locked Table Length

Please PLEASE allow tables to expand when the sheet is locked! At the moment I have had to write code to unprotect the sheet, expand the table, and reprotect! This is labourious and time consuming. Implement this option to make tables even more powerful!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Correct numerical sorting of IP addresses

We need the ability to properly sort a column of IP addresses (standard dotted decimal format: N.X.Y.Z), without requiring manual workarounds (splitting octets into separate fields and then doing multi-field sort, etc.)

To future proof, it should understand IPv6 format as well. It needs to be smart enough to handle missing leading zeroes, and :: notation.)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Table Naming [#Headers] [#Totals] translation bug

I am using Excel in different languages, English, Dutch and Turkish. When I open an excel file that I have created for example in Dutch, and I open this same file again in English then automatically all formulas and functions translate to the relevant formulas and functions, except for one type of functions/formulas!
    Namely all formulas contending Table references or formulas. I.e. Tab[[#Totalen];[Date]] (Dutch) does not become Tab[[#Totals];[Date]] or Tab[[#Kopteksten];[Date]] (Dutch) does not become Tab[[#Headers];[Date]] and vice versa...

This means that you can't use conveniently Table naming for more complex usage of your excel work. Why are normal formulas and…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Power Query / Edit a query in advanced editor directly in Excel

As a user, allow me to use the power query "advanced editor" directly in Excel's interface so people that know the M language can speed up the process of modifying the queries and see the results without entering the power query editor.

For example, you could clic on Excel Ribbon's:
    Data/Get & transform/Show queries
    -> right click one of the workbook's queries and there find the option "Advance editor"
    -> the advanced editor window would open, without opening the whole Power Query window
    -> change the query's code
    -> click save and load
    -> see the changes without leaving the…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make the Filter selection box bigger (longer), it should show at least 10 - 15 items

Make the Filter selection box bigger (longer), it should show at least 10 - 15 items

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Drop down list

If you want to make a drop down box in Excel you have to enter the data somewhere in the file and select this data to insert it in the drop down list. It would be easier if you can ad values wihtout having to put them somewhere in Excel.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow re-ordering columns of filtered table

Have you ever had this happen to you?

You just finish filtering a large table, so exactly the records of interest are displayed. However, the columns now of most interest are not next to each other, so you try to move the entire column next to each other. Excel throws an error saying it can't reorder columns of a filtered table. HUH?

This is a long-time problem. It's just plain silly that this hasn't been fixed yet. When a table has any sort of filter applied, Excel refuses to allow re-ordering of the columns of data. The only workaround appears…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Show count of items represented by each checkbox in the Filter dropdown menu

When we filter we can see all the items that are present in the selected column. What would be helpful is to have next to each item the count of times it's present in that column. E.g. it column "Animal name" contains 1x"dog", 1x"cat", 5x"horse"..., if I filter, I'll be able to see the names of these animals only, what I'd like to have also is the number of times (count) they're present in the column.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Table cells cannot be merged.

You have to convert the table into a normal range of cells in order to merge cells.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Have cursor default to Search cell in Filters.

Using Filters is a two step process. Click on the Filter dropdown arrow and then selecting the type of filter desired, i.e. Search or Custom. I find that a vast majority of my filter needs use just the search function so having the cursor default to the search cell would allow me to click just once prior to typing the search criteria's vs. twice. Users desiring to use the other filter features would still by required to click a second time for their desired function and since this is no different from the current number of clicks, no harm, no…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Windows 10 + Excel: Fix unfilter column bug...

When using Windows 10 and a large spreadsheet, many users of Excel 2013 and 2016 encounter problems with excel calculating extremely slowly when you remove the filter from a column. Unfiltering the same spreadsheets works fine in Windows 8.1.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. The "select all" checkbox should never scroll out of sight in a filter dropdown

When I want to select one entry in a drop down filter, it happens to me frequently that I scroll down to find the entry and then discover that should have deselected "select all" first. Very annoying. That box should be independent of the rest and never scroll out of sight.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Have excel highlight a column that has an active filter. Just turn the heading yellow or something that you can easily find

At least make it optional. There is nothing more aggravating than losing what column you have a filter on in a huge sheet and searching for it. Highlight it yellow, or allow the user to select a color.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Return to original row in table after applying and clearing filter

After applying a filter to a table and reviewing/editing the filtered data, clearing the filter should take you back to your starting row.

At the moment it usually takes you back to the top of the table, though sometimes it seems to pick a random row. I'm normally working at the bottom of the table.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Sort by designated row in a multi-row header

PROBLEM: We continually face a problem with sorting tables (Excel and Word) if we employ two or more rows for the column headings in the table.

DISCUSSION: First, it is not uncommon for tables to have headings of two or more rows. Often the first row includes labels that group the sub-labels in the second row and so on. However, we cannot create such headings because they disrupt the sort feature used with tables. Second, the visual or printed headings may not be conducive to the sort feature.

As such, the user often has to use workarounds where multi-row column…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Search option in Recent workbooks

Can include "Recent Search" option in the "Recent Open" to make simpler way of finding recent opened files instead of scrolling up and down. Pls give feedback if it ok.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base