Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. iPad create pivot table

Please add full support for pivot table creation for IPad OS. This is a basic requirement for financial professionals such as myself. This alone would help me use the iPad as my primary work device.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bring Sheet View to the desktop app for files saved online

Most people in my org who filter an Excel spreadsheet saved to SharePoint or OneDrive don't use Excel Online as it is not as feature rich as the desktop app. Sheet View avoids the problem Auto Save presents when filtering for other users collaborating at the time or opening it fresh with those filters auto saved. However, Sheet View is only available on the Online version of Excel currently https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/excel-blog/sheet-view-is-generally-available/ba-p/1032576.
    Can you please also bring this feature to the desktop app?

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. other languges then english

I use hebrew as a second language. and when i try to auto fill, excel doesn't understand to auto fill hebrew alphabet, months, days of week etc. i guess that the same problem applies to users of other second languages.
    it would be a great idea for excel to improve that. especially for right to left languages where its very important
    thanks
    i hope you will improve it the fastest possible

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Save a custom sort

I think it would be beneficial if there was an option to save a custom sort

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Table names to show up in alphabetic order in Name Box

The Name Box is really useful for navigating around spreadsheets but Table Names show up at the bottom of the list (if there are Range Names) and also appear in the order they are created rather than in alphabetic order. Not that helpful. Please include Table Names in the list in alphabetic order.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Dynamic headings or additional header rows in tables

This is somewhat related to
    https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/9647427-header-selection-while-sorting

I believe that table column headings should be dynamic (i.e. value determined by a formula), and if that's not possible, then we should at least be able to specify an arbitrary number of dynamic "subheadings". There are times that you have non-heading information that you want to put at the top of a table without having it as part of the heading. Examples include small notes or units.

A common approach that I take in tables is to have the user choose a unit to be put in the CONVERT function. That way, I…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Sort tabs

Sort tabs
    To sort worksheet tabs in alphabetical order. Want to be able to right click on a worksheet tab and choose Sort.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. select all filter

When filtering a column, the "select all" option of filters shows up at the top of the filter box...speaking as a frequent user of long filter lists, it would be helpful to include the "select all" option at the BOTTOM of the filter box in addition to the top

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Multiple cells selection problem

We select multiple cells by holding control key. But when we accidentally select a cell without holding control key, all selected cells are gone and we have to do the selection again. This is very irritating. Please add option for the same.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Vertical Autofilter

Excel allows you to use a horizontal autofilter, the same procedure could be applied to vertical autofilter.

The procedure already exists in relation to the horizontal direction, the vertical's solution could be similar.

Visual design may be the same, only the triangle should be rotated 90 degrees to the right.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Use Slicer for Table and Pivot Table

I'd love for a slicer to be attached to both a pivot table and the table the pivot table is based upon. Couldn't find a way to do this in report connections.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Unique Filtering

Hi there

I haven't looked at Excel from office 2016 as yet, but I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be a 'quick' unique function on Excel 2013

As far as I can tell, still the only way to find unique records is through advanced search and is - at least in my opinion somewhat fiddly!

My idea is, I would have thought that you could perhaps add another option on Quick Filter/Text Filter called 'Unique' just after the 'Custom Filter' option?

Many thanks

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Filtering - Why does it snap back to A1?

When turning on filtering in a worksheet, you are automatically snapped back to A1. Typically, I turn on filtering near the column I want to filter. It's more time consuming to be at the column I want to filter and then be snapped back to the beginning, only to be left looking for that column again. Can we have the ability to turn on filtering without the snap back to A1? Thanks!

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow to add filter to a new column without removing exiting filter for other columns

(Excel 2016) Assume you have a few columns with the filter turned on. Then
    1. you insert a new column which has no filter.
    2. you select this column and click Data -> Filter
    3. Excel removes all existing filters, the second click on Data -> Filter applies the filter to the selected column.

On Step 3 Excel should NOT remove the existing filters

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Show "Blanks" and "N/A#" at the top and bottom of Filter lists or 'stick pin' them

It's a pain navigating to the bottom of a list to deselect N/A or Blanks and sometimes you forget to do it so it would be really helpful if they were shown at both the top and bottom of a filter list - or, better still, 'stick pin' them in the top of the dialogue box so they can be de/selected at any time

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Filter for more than one Cell colour should be able (set ticks (=haken) before each colour

Filter for more than one Cell colour should be able (set ticks (=haken) before each colour

I want to filter out (or sort, or calculate) not only for one colour...
    Example: I'll see each Grey and each blue cell but not White cells.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Drop down list

If you want to make a drop down box in Excel you have to enter the data somewhere in the file and select this data to insert it in the drop down list. It would be easier if you can ad values wihtout having to put them somewhere in Excel.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Advanced Filter to copy to another worksheet/tab

When performing an Advanced Filter and Copying to Another Location, you cannot extract the data to another worksheet. You have to perform the operation on the same sheet as the data. It would be nice to export the advance filtered data to another worksheet or even workbook! Many a time, I have to send that extraction to someone else as an email attachment.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add option for "natural sorting"

Add option for "natural sorting" as present in LibreOffice.
    Should sort cells with content D15, D100, D101, D1000 in this order and not as D100, D1000, D101, D15 (text sorting).

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Setting proper width when inserting Table Column

When inserting Table Columns adjust the columns to match the width where the data came from. Make it work like it does when inserting column on spreadsheet.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base