Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. absolute reffernces in table formulas -be able to click F4 for absolute refference

I want to be able to write a formula with absolute reference with the excel table formulas the same way as with the regular formulas ( F4 OR TYPING $$)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Sort by designated row in a multi-row header

PROBLEM: We continually face a problem with sorting tables (Excel and Word) if we employ two or more rows for the column headings in the table.

DISCUSSION: First, it is not uncommon for tables to have headings of two or more rows. Often the first row includes labels that group the sub-labels in the second row and so on. However, we cannot create such headings because they disrupt the sort feature used with tables. Second, the visual or printed headings may not be conducive to the sort feature.

As such, the user often has to use workarounds where multi-row column…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. lock cloumns together

cells A1:A5 are merged, cells B1:B5 are sub categories of info in the merged cell. This is repeated for A6:A10, A11:A15, etc. I want to sort column B so that column A stays put, but the sub category info sorts while staying connected to the merged cells. For instance, A1:A5 have the letter "A" in the merged cell. B1:B5 have A,B,C,D,E dispersed through them, then A6:a10 has a "B" with B5:B10 havign a letter in each of those cells, and so on. I want to sort column B in alphabetical order while clomn A stays in it's current order, or…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Data validation rules do not extend while adding new rows in a table.

While formulas in columns extend with new rows added to a table, data validation rules do not. That's unintuitive and very inconvenient.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. "Custom View" in worksheets containing tables

I hate having to chose between the functionality of a table and the ability to simplify views for people who use the spreadsheet for different purposes and want to see only certain columns.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Choose >= today in date filter

I use filters to show certain data in my table, then I created a view I can implement with a macro button. This works well, however, each time I view this data, I am only concerned with data relevant to the current date or later. It would be convenient if the date filter had a choice of not only "today" but greater than or equal to today so that you do not have to manually enter the dates each time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Indication of filtered columns

When working with data sets with multiple columns, sometimes it is painful to find out which column I have filter applied on, particularly if you do not want to cancel all of them (basically scrolling left/right looking for those little icons) Maybe some popup window or "Go To" feature that would point you to what columns are being filtered.

Thanks a lot :)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add an "invert selection" option to the filter drop-down

Enable the user to invert their selection in the Filter drop-down. If I have a large table of data, I'd like to be able to de-select a few items in a filter, then use "invert selection" to switch the check box values of all items before applying the filter

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Fix bug when a table's column name starts with whitespace followed by a special character

If a Table's column name starts with whitespace (spaces, tabs), and is followed by a special character (such as #, @, <, ', etc.), then the auto-generated references to this column break after you leave and come back to edit them a second time by inserting a space after the table name.

See a fuller conversation around this bug here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeexcel-msowin10-mso_o365b/excel-bug-tables-that-have-column-headers-starting/1192e9c5-832e-4c87-9e6e-89de56427d0f?messageId=ef3bf741-63a3-4e49-bf8e-5354a1f944df

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. highlight/unhighlight button or shortcut

i use the yellow highlight background a lot. But it would be good to have a shortcut to highlight and un-highlight a cell. SO I dont have to click the mouse button 4 times

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Filter hotkey for check all / uncheck all

when using the filter and selecting values with the checkboxes it happens that you sometimes need to go up again to check the box "select all"
    would it be not helpfull to click into a various checkbox with a hotkey to "check / uncheck all"
    We are using a program called "exact software" for data analytics which has these function in its filter boxes already.
    A click in a various checkbox with the hotkey "ctrl" checks all or unchecks all filter values.

No need anylonger to scroll up again to check the box "select all"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. please add autocomplete search bar to segment

The idea is to have a search bar, at the top in the segment frame, which automatically selects the corresponding segment.
    This will avoid long scrolls when there are many.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow to add filter to a new column without removing exiting filter for other columns

(Excel 2016) Assume you have a few columns with the filter turned on. Then
    1. you insert a new column which has no filter.
    2. you select this column and click Data -> Filter
    3. Excel removes all existing filters, the second click on Data -> Filter applies the filter to the selected column.

On Step 3 Excel should NOT remove the existing filters

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Use a formula in filter options

Please, add an option to define the filter we want using a formula. For example, Filter has to be equal to an specific cell, this can be really usefull when we want to use some charts that can't be used with pivot tables.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Excel Templates

Create an Excel template for flash cards and 7-31 day menus that allow enough room for Breakfast, Lunch & Supper

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Search option in Recent workbooks

Can include "Recent Search" option in the "Recent Open" to make simpler way of finding recent opened files instead of scrolling up and down. Pls give feedback if it ok.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Invert Filter Selection

I'd like to see an option to invert filter selections. For example: If i apply a filter in a table i can select some boxes with a tickmark, but if i want to invert my selection i need to unmark selected itens before and mark the others.

In resume, i'd like to invert itens selected in a filter for the others unmarked.

195 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add currency data type to the new Data Types

Add Currencies to the new Data Types along with Stocks and Geography so we can get current exchange rates, symbols, etc. for various currencies.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Make buttons with active filter also change color (red) so that they are easily seen.

With large tables and many columns the symbols for active filter is easily missed when columns are scrolled to find out in which column the filter is active. I suggest add color to active filter button (red). Also add item in table function to inactivate all filters with one click. That woud be great!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base