Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Excel tables should be separate UI elements from the tabbed spreadsheets

I love the Excel Tables and I believe they should have been part of Excel from the beginning. Now that we have them, I am not happy with the way they are forced into the legacy GUI, namely that we still have monolithic single spreadsheet for a "canvas" that may contain more than one of these Excel Tables, but because these tables share the same spreadsheet grid, one always runs into undesirable side-effects, such as disabled Insert/Delete of spreadsheet rows and/or the "This won't work because it would move cells in a table on your worksheet" errors that should not…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create a shortcut to create a dynamic drop down

automated feature that will assist to create/ generate lists in order to retrieve and reference to several data for presentation purposes

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Avoid Window Shake when filtering

When using a table and a filter is added, the screen doesn't move. When it ranges, and a filter is added, the screen moves. Please avoid this movement please!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Remove duplicates form should open the first item in column list having focus. This improves shortcuts.

This will make the form easier to use for keyboard users. Currently, the most common way to use the form from the keyboard is alt-a-m tab tab enter. This suggestion gets rid of the two tab strokes.

The current form opens with the "select all" button having focus. There is never a need to press the select all button first thing when the form opens, because it opens with everything selected by default.

The first column list item is a natural place to start the focus because the enter key activates the ok button; so alt-a-m-enter would remove dupliates, or…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Updated filter handling, with possibility to select e.g. the only filtered text in a column.

If I have filters active on all columns in a file and I e.g. filter on someting in column A which results in that e.g. only one value is left in column B, then I would like to be able to select that value in column B and filter on it. At this point, of course nothing will happen, but then if I now remove the filter from column A, I could get a different result, but since Iäm not able to select as describe above in column B, I will instead get ALL results when I remove the filter…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. I want the text filter to be active when I select a filter.

Quite often i have excel files with filters in the top row of each column.

I would like it if the generic text input filed was active immediately after I have pressed the filter arrow in a certain column. That way I can either directly start entering the text filter, or even pasting an already copied text into that field. Now I have to click the field with the mouse and to me that seems an unnecessary step. It would be much faster if that field was active directly. I can't really see that it would hurt any other feature.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Sort & Filter

When "Sort Warning" box pops up with 1 of 2 choices Prepicked for us, delete the prepicked setting and have it remember the choice we make.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Slicer to display count of records when selecting criteria

I learnt to create slicer and also able to move them to another work sheet. I am able to play with the data by filtering based on conditions but when I have huge sets of data where my slicer is on another work sheet, I am unable to count # of records found based on that criteria. If there can be another row or field which displays the # of records found within the work sheet where slicer exists, it'll be useful and we don't need to go to original sheet and count how many records each time, it'll save…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add Table Tool Tips

With so many similar looking tables in the worksheet, it's hard to keep track of which table I am editing.

Why not add a worksheet or workbook option to show table tooltips, and when you hover over the edge of a table, a tooltip displays the table name.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Make Table Name Box Resizable

It is helpful to be able to see and rename a table in the Table Design tab. But the Table Name box shows only about 12 characters.

Why not add a small arrow in the right corner of the Table Name section, and when clicked, show the Table Properties in a larger and more readable (and resizable) form?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Option to Choose Pivot Field at Source Filtered Data

Hi, there
    At source Data table, In case of large data set, If a user decide or visualise and select which fields should be used to generate pivot table + the result of that field !! - Currently there is no option, I suggest to have this tab to be added at source database filter itself, At Advance Tab named as "Advance PT Source Field Chooser" further Pivot should use only those field as source to generate Report Result, which will reduce the file size or provide Expand,Collapse result, each selected field should be displayed with column Serial no and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Auto-freeze panes when selecting data filter

For simple worksheets I do the same thing over and over. Create a table header that is filtered, panes frozen and text formatted differently from data (bolded, highlighted, etc). Should be a simple formatter to do this. Have a default setting for text format. Users highlight cells and select option or a paint brush to paint the cells.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Save and Re-Apply Filters on Tables

It would be really great to be able apply simple or complex filters on one or more columns in a table, to save as a named filter, and to re-apply it later on the table.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Table Headers should possibly be formulas

Table Headers should possibly be formulas

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Ability to paste to filtered (visible) cells

PROBLEM: Excel's PASTE (ctrl-V) operation does not distinguish between filtered and unfiltered cells, even though its COPY (ctrl-C) operation copies filtered (visible) cells.

SOLUTIONS:
    * Enhance PASTE SPECIAL (ctrl-alt-V) to support the ability to paste into only filtered (visible) cells.
    * Add a user option to support this default PASTE action.

BENEFITS:
    * Eliminates the danger of pasting into a filtered area without realizing the problem. This is a very common problem with users new to Excel. Even experienced users must be constantly aware of this problem.
    * Addresses a problem for which there is no good workaround. All VBA…

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Make all default table styles accessible

Excel has a built-in accessibility auditor that will falg 55% of the default table styles as inaccessible due to low contrast. Microsoft should make all the default table styles accessible, in addition to picking colours in the default colour theme that will all be distinguishable by all colourblind people.

Attached is a chart where a red cross indicates a table style that fails Excel's own accessibility auditor.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make all default table styles accessible

Excel has a built-in accessibility auditor that will falg 55% of the default table styles as inaccessible due to low contrast. Microsoft should make all the default table styles accessible, in addition to picking colours in the default colour theme that will all be distinguishable by all colourblind people.

Attached is a chart where a red cross indicates a table style that fails Excel's own accessibility auditor.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Revertir filtro

Ayudaria mucho tener la opción de revertir filtro, es decir si en las filas tengo los valores A,B,C y D con un filtro aplicado que me muestre solo los valores A y C, que tenga una opción que me permita revertir el filtro es decir que me muestre B y D y los valores A y C me los oculte.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base