Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Insert a Cell

I'm not able to insert a new cell or row, when I already copied a cell. The only choice is to insert the copied cells. I hope there is a choice where I can insert new cell, without have to paste the cell I've copied before to another place first.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Choose Columns From A Table In Excel

In Power Query, Query Editor, There is the ability to select columns from the data you imported. When you use this, only the columns picked are displayed. Could this ability be added to the Design Tab for a table? The way I see this being used would be for editing data in a large table with several columns. You could click on a "Choose Columns" button, pick the fields(columns) you want with all the rest being hidden. Do what you need to do, then click the "Choose Columns" button again to unhide those columns that were hidden, like the "Show…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Tables should default to "My table has headers" being ticked

It's taken me 10 years to realise this but I've never "unchecked" My Table has headers, it's ALWAYS the other way round, forgetting to remember to tick it because Excel hasn't recognised the header row.

Let's default the tick to always on ?

136 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Autofilter Easy Number Search

Searching numbers in Autofilter should be easy. Especially when numbers are already formatted as numbers, you shouldn't have to type separators (like","). In the latest version of Excel, you can't search for one-million unless you type "1,000,000". You should be able to type "1000000".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Automatically filter based on a value in another cell

Normally, the Filter function in Excel can help us to filter any data as we need. But, sometimes, we would like to auto filter cells based on a criteria in a cell. The data will be filtered automatically at once. If we get this option that would be regretful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Put filtered columns in color (light pink for example).

It is hard to find quickly which columns have a filter on them. For that purpose, I would put those columns in light pink. It can be useful in case we don't want to erase all filters and just remove some of them.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Put filtered columns in color (light pink for example).

It is hard to find quickly which columns have a filter on them. For that purpose, I would put those columns in light pink. It can be useful in case we don't want to erase all filters and just remove some of them.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add Sort Option to sort 'blank/no value' cells first or last

Please add a sort option where the user can specify if they want blank cells sorted at the beginning or the end.

When sorting it doesn't matter if ascending or descending is selected, currently blank cells always sort at the bottom of the table. I'd like to see the ability for the user to select if they want blank cells in a table sorted at first. Attached is a perfect place to put it.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Fix Hyperlinks in Column 1 of Tables

Hyperlinks with fewer than 4 display characters, that are contained in column 1 table cells do not work. The little palm that is expected to show up when hovering the mouse cursor does not appear.
    To see issue, create an empty table, then add the following formula to the first row in the first column:
    =Hyperlink("https:\www.google.com","G")

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Help Mistake

Hi!
    As I recommend to our clients when needed to use Excel help (F1), I show them sometimes an example. That's how I found a mistake in help - in part Use slicers to filter data, in step 2. (Create a slicer to filter data) is written:
    2. On the Home tab, go to Insert > Slicer.
    IMHO there has to be written
    2. On the Insert tab, go to Filters > Slicer.
    I think the mistake is there a while, cause I remember that Slicer was on Insert tab in version 2010

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Convert back to Range

When you go to Table Design > Convert to Range > Yes and nothing happens, that's so unlike Excel not to offer tips on why your table could not be converted to a range. The moment you enter a formula incorrectly my god the error notices that get posted. Why not for converting to a range? You need to provide some tips on how to get that table converted back to a range. I made all formulas into cell references rather than table references and still I cannot convert, why? What am I missing? Can you help?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. enable merge cells in table

enable merge cells in table similar to word table

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Grouping outline +/- symbol - add mouseover title

I'd like to be able to add a title to the individual outline symbols that shows when you hover your mouse pointer over each symbol.
    I imagine that it would be a "simple" right click and type option - much like the comments function for individual cells.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Table Names: Scope to Worksheet not Workbook

Allow table names to be scoped to the worksheet rather than have them scoped to the Workbook.

Your current 'workbook' scope implementation means that for similar worksheets I have to come up different table names to prevent them from clashing

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Automatically apply Wrap Text to the headers when a table is created and AutoFit accordingly

Because the names of columns are often wider than their values, it is common to apply the Wrap Text format to the column headers. After this, the user will shrink the column widths to take advantage of the Wrap Text format. When you have multiple tables in a spreadsheet, this can take a few minutes. To save us this time and effort, please automatically apply the Wrap Text format to the column headers when a table is created.

The automatic AutoFitting of the column widths that occurs after a table is created should also be changed to better suit the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Excel filters

Current we have option to filter out data.
    What we do not have is invers selection of data, for example out of 10 variable if i filters out 3 variable and after that i want to get the remaining 7 to be choose and current selection of 3 value should be deselect is not available currently..

We can in built new features in excel filters know as invers selection so the current selection will be deselect and the new value get filters automatically without selecting each and individual value.

For more details on this you can contact me on my…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Filter drop down list

Once "Filter" the column. When click on the column's Filter drop down list. If it can also shows each data's count QTY. That would be grate.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Change the focus of the filter dropdown to select the "Type-In" for the type of cell you enter

Instead of requiring a user to constantly move the mouse and click in the selection box in the dropdown filter, set the focus in that box. Then we could simply key our entry and hit enter.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Colorize active filter buttons in a contrasting (Pickable?) so they stand out

Color active filter buttons in a contrasting color to make them instantly jump out at you. Much better than the "Dot" and Funnel approach which can be frustrating to spot when you are pressed for time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base