Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Auto-filter issue

Seems that when I add auto-filter it moves me to one end of the sheet. So if I'm viewing the last column of the sheet then I'm moved to the beginning and vice versa. How about just leaving the view alone when showing auto-filter.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Have Autofiltering for both Rows and Columns

If you could enable Auto filters on the Row headers the way you currently do for columns it would allow you to hide columns that do not contain the data you want to see in that row. I have large check sheets with many columns and would like to just tell it to show me all the columns in row 4 that contain "x" data, the same way you can do it with columns currently

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. filter

When the filter is turned on, one should be able to see easily and quickly which column(s) is filtered, without having to scroll down or right to see which one is filtered.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Single pass advanced filtering

For my work I regularly have to use advanced filtering on large datasets (200k lines+), with an equally large amount of filter criteria. When using excel advanced filter this takes a LOT longer then it should. It looks like excel is making a new pass of the data for each criterium, when in fact it should be a one-pass job.

My frustration is that I can write a macro myself that is a lot faster than the built in advanced filter function. Which is annoying, because I'd rather use a built in function than a custom macro. So here is…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ability to highlight the data that is duplicated - in Remove Duplicates

I want the ability to see the Duplicates that Excel would remove if I pressed the "Remove Duplicate" button.

I review a lot of Site, Ordering, SKU, EAN numbers - there are times when I want to see the items that are duplicated in the data - i.e. the site number of a retail store. I normally work around this by copying the data into a new tab, using an the Remove Duplicate and writing a count statement to the original tab and then working back through the data to identify the duplicated data.
    This solution would allow me to…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 3. Excel - Using Filters – Filters start with “Select All” but “Select blanks” is at the end. When running through data you are quite often

Excel - Using Filters – Filters start with “Select All” but “Select blanks” is at the end. When running through data you are quite often looking for blanks to add data and need to go to end of long filter list to select – put select blanks next to Select all at the front of the list. - also please pin at top to always in view

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Move (Blanks) to the top of the Filter

Hello,

Currently, the (Blanks) checkbox is at the very bottom of the Filter dropdown. Please move (Blanks) to the top. I uncheck (Blanks) all of the time, so it would be quite convenient. Thank you for your consideration.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. option for labeling a group

For example, if i have a small range of columns that relate to fees, and I group these togather, then i can assign a label Fees to this, and just use this for any calculus

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Enter Formulae into a comment whose result will be dynamicaly altered when input cells are modified.

It would useful to enter formulae into a comment whose result displayed would be dynamically dependent on other cells' contents.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Copy/paste automatically Comments entered into cells into an additional Comments Column in a table, concating comments of successive cells.

Automatically, copy and paste all comments in a table row into an additional Comment Column; for multiple comments these should have the facility to concatenate a selection or all of them. Something similar could be done for and additional column row to concatenate all comments in cells of the same column. User can later edit the resultant row & column copy/pasted/concatenated comments.

At the moment, I do these things manually. In a large list this is time consuming.

The reverse operation is also useful: copy and paste cell contents into a comment of another cell.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Power Query / Edit a query in advanced editor directly in Excel

As a user, allow me to use the power query "advanced editor" directly in Excel's interface so people that know the M language can speed up the process of modifying the queries and see the results without entering the power query editor.

For example, you could clic on Excel Ribbon's:
    Data/Get & transform/Show queries
    -> right click one of the workbook's queries and there find the option "Advance editor"
    -> the advanced editor window would open, without opening the whole Power Query window
    -> change the query's code
    -> click save and load
    -> see the changes without leaving the…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Sort by absolute value

When analyzing data I frequently find the need to sort the data in absolute value. I typically want to see the largest values (positive or negative) at the top of the list and let all the small stuff fall somewhere below. Although I sometimes need to add a helper column to a table or range for sorting purposes it is a more frequent need in pivot tables. I add a calculated field to get the abs() value and then sort the pt by that field in descending order and then hide those columns. My suggesting is to be able to…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Right Click Paste in Filter

After copying .....
    In the search field of the filter drop down, one cannot paste using the right click button of the mouse, can we have that enabled?

Thanks,
    Nischay

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Enable mouse scroll after opening Filter drop down menu

Session: Enable filter on a large amount of data. Select drop down menu (presumes that the entries in the drop down menu require scrolling to view). Mouse wheel scroll. Nothing happens (FAIL).

Expectation: After opening filter drop down menu, the application should be aware of mouse location and enable scrolling immediately.

Note: User can click inside the menu (carefully as to not select something, or select then deselect), and then mouse wheel scroll functions. It should be smarter.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Make the Filter selection box bigger (longer), it should show at least 10 - 15 items

Make the Filter selection box bigger (longer), it should show at least 10 - 15 items

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow users to hide the QUICK ANALYSIS. It needs to be optional.

Allow users to hide the QUICK ANALYSIS garbage. This ******* interferes with my work every day. Every time I need to highlight fields, this horrible thing pops-up and I have to start all over again. It needs to be optional like that "office assistant" that everyone hated.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Today's Date

1. While Grouping Dates in Filters Add one more Option "Today" so that today's data can be filtered out.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Structured reference for different row in a table column

I appreciate that we can use "[" + "@" + horizontal table header name + "]" (e.g. [@MyHeadingName]) to refer to a value in the same table row. To improve table formula readability, I'd appreciate if we could do the same thing with vertical references. I assume you'd introduce a different symbol for this. I'm looking for something like "[" + "#" + vertical table header name + "]"

Thanks for considering.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. custom sort sort entire row instead of data

Allow override of guessed data range. In custom sort, when "sort top to bottom" selected, put checkbox to include entire row. similar with "sort left to right", put checkbox to include entire column. my problem is having a row highlighted and then sorting. the highlight extends beyond the data range, then sort. this results in broken highlighted rows.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Use Slicer for Table and Pivot Table

I'd love for a slicer to be attached to both a pivot table and the table the pivot table is based upon. Couldn't find a way to do this in report connections.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base