Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Tables should default to "My table has headers" being ticked

It's taken me 10 years to realise this but I've never "unchecked" My Table has headers, it's ALWAYS the other way round, forgetting to remember to tick it because Excel hasn't recognised the header row.

Let's default the tick to always on ?

98 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

8 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable to sort separate range columns in latest desktop version of Excel

Trying to sort out multiple columns in Excel but received an error!! This is possible on earlier versions of Excel desktop. Need to sort multiple columns at once.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Setting proper width when inserting Table Column

When inserting Table Columns adjust the columns to match the width where the data came from. Make it work like it does when inserting column on spreadsheet.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Copy-pasting unsorted filtered data causes Excel to freeze for 2 minutes

Copy-pasting the visible cells on a filtered selection of unsorted data causes Excel to freeze for 2 minutes before the data is pasted in a new sheet.
    However, when performing a sort first before applying the filter, the data is pasted instantaneously.

We are running Microsoft Excel for Office 365 MSO (16.0.11328.20362) 32-bit / Click-to-run / semi-annual channel / Version 1902

Steps to simulate the issue can be found in the attached PDF document.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. other languges then english

I use hebrew as a second language. and when i try to auto fill, excel doesn't understand to auto fill hebrew alphabet, months, days of week etc. i guess that the same problem applies to users of other second languages.
    it would be a great idea for excel to improve that. especially for right to left languages where its very important
    thanks
    i hope you will improve it the fastest possible

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Table Headers should possibly be formulas

Table Headers should possibly be formulas

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Avoid Window Shake when filtering

When using a table and a filter is added, the screen doesn't move. When it ranges, and a filter is added, the screen moves. Please avoid this movement please!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Slicer to display count of records when selecting criteria

I learnt to create slicer and also able to move them to another work sheet. I am able to play with the data by filtering based on conditions but when I have huge sets of data where my slicer is on another work sheet, I am unable to count # of records found based on that criteria. If there can be another row or field which displays the # of records found within the work sheet where slicer exists, it'll be useful and we don't need to go to original sheet and count how many records each time, it'll save…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add Table Tool Tips

With so many similar looking tables in the worksheet, it's hard to keep track of which table I am editing.

Why not add a worksheet or workbook option to show table tooltips, and when you hover over the edge of a table, a tooltip displays the table name.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Make Table Name Box Resizable

It is helpful to be able to see and rename a table in the Table Design tab. But the Table Name box shows only about 12 characters.

Why not add a small arrow in the right corner of the Table Name section, and when clicked, show the Table Properties in a larger and more readable (and resizable) form?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Option to Choose Pivot Field at Source Filtered Data

Hi, there
    At source Data table, In case of large data set, If a user decide or visualise and select which fields should be used to generate pivot table + the result of that field !! - Currently there is no option, I suggest to have this tab to be added at source database filter itself, At Advance Tab named as "Advance PT Source Field Chooser" further Pivot should use only those field as source to generate Report Result, which will reduce the file size or provide Expand,Collapse result, each selected field should be displayed with column Serial no and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Auto-freeze panes when selecting data filter

For simple worksheets I do the same thing over and over. Create a table header that is filtered, panes frozen and text formatted differently from data (bolded, highlighted, etc). Should be a simple formatter to do this. Have a default setting for text format. Users highlight cells and select option or a paint brush to paint the cells.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Have excel highlight a column that has an active filter. Just turn the heading yellow or something that you can easily find

At least make it optional. There is nothing more aggravating than losing what column you have a filter on in a huge sheet and searching for it. Highlight it yellow, or allow the user to select a color.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Save and Re-Apply Filters on Tables

It would be really great to be able apply simple or complex filters on one or more columns in a table, to save as a named filter, and to re-apply it later on the table.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Make all default table styles accessible

Excel has a built-in accessibility auditor that will falg 55% of the default table styles as inaccessible due to low contrast. Microsoft should make all the default table styles accessible, in addition to picking colours in the default colour theme that will all be distinguishable by all colourblind people.

Attached is a chart where a red cross indicates a table style that fails Excel's own accessibility auditor.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Make all default table styles accessible

Excel has a built-in accessibility auditor that will falg 55% of the default table styles as inaccessible due to low contrast. Microsoft should make all the default table styles accessible, in addition to picking colours in the default colour theme that will all be distinguishable by all colourblind people.

Attached is a chart where a red cross indicates a table style that fails Excel's own accessibility auditor.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Revertir filtro

Ayudaria mucho tener la opción de revertir filtro, es decir si en las filas tengo los valores A,B,C y D con un filtro aplicado que me muestre solo los valores A y C, que tenga una opción que me permita revertir el filtro es decir que me muestre B y D y los valores A y C me los oculte.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. When using a filter, a double click inverts the selection (deselects all except the one clicked on)

When using a filer and wanting to select a single value you need to first in-tick "(Select All)", then you select the item you want.

An improvement would be that with all values still ticked that a double click on the item you want de-selects all the other entries apart from that one.

Really simply, but how many times have you scrolled down the list looking for the item you want, then realized you need to scroll back up to untick "Select All" first and then scroll back down again.

Come on Microsoft, this sort of stuff is basics! :)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. オートフィルターにおける「曜日フィルター」の追加を希望します。

セルの値が「日付」かつ「曜日」が表示されている場合に
    「指定された曜日」でフィルタリングできる機能を希望します。

「曜日」については例えば、
    セルの書式の設定→表示形式→ユーザー定義→ggge"年"m"月"d"日"(aaa)

のように「aaa」また「aaaa」で曜日が表示可能な状態で
    フィルタリングしたい。

現状は、「日付」列の隣に「曜日」列を作成しています。

どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 16 17
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base