Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Select Pivot Table by name

I would like to have the possibility to select a PivotTable by name.

In a PivotTable chart, the source tells you what is the PivotTable name but then, you have so select all your PivotTables one by one to find the correct PivotTable.
    So if you can add a tool that is able to select a PivotTable by name, it will save a lot of time.

Thanks

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Expand Pivot Tables without overwriting existing data beneath or to the right of table

With all the queries on the internet, we assume there is no built-in option to prevent pivot tables from overwriting data beneath the table during refresh and expansion. Is that correct?

Given that Excel has options for 'inserting' rows, why in the world would Microsoft NOT provide a pivot table expansion/contraction option for inserting or deleting rows from within the refreshed table without overwriting data beneath or to the right of the table?

It is also interesting that inserting rows into a regular Excel table, using the TAB key in the last row, can add rows by expanding the table…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Bug: wrong data from OLAP source

Incorrect values of dimension in pivot table sourced on OLAP cube (Microsoft SSAS 11.0.5569.0). The latest version without that bug is 16.0.6001.1068. Obviously we don’t know exact source of this bug, but most of the issues we discovered were on complex pivot tables with many attributes, partially displayed dimension’s hierarchy and without subtotals. Example of this bug occurring is in attached file ExcelBug. There are 2 exactly the same pivot tables (the table on the right hand side is basically copy of the table on the left hand side). After removing “Grand Total” on the table on the right hand…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Sort Pivot Tables based on multiple columns

I want to be able to sort various values I have selected in my Pivot table in addition to the rows and columns.

For example, in a pivot table representing code coverage, I have class and function as my rows, for my values I have lines of code and the percentage of code touched. In order to see where I should best focus my efforts, I want to see the functions with the most lines of code and the least code coverage, so I want to sort first by LoC (descending) and then by coverage percentage (ascending).

This doesn't appear…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Better Support for Analysis Services Tabular

It's about time to improve support for SSAS Tabular:
    1. Auto-generate DAX
    2. Avoid splitting a table into a "measure group" and "dimension". See how PBI Desktop handles metadata.
    3. Carry over data types so that users can create reports, such as show me invoices where Due Date is greater than ... Currently, all dimension table fields map to Text.
    4. Many customers have expressed interest to connect Excel tables directly to Tabular, bypassing Pivot Table, so they can use the column dropdowns and other Excel goodness.
    5. Support descriptions as tooltips when the user hovers on a field in…

63 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. remove automatic grouping

I don't like that the PivotTable automatically does time grouping. I want to make the choice to group, not have it done for me. 9 times out of 10 I don't want it grouped.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Pivot Table Management

It would be nice to have a way to manage multiple pivot tables similar to the way the name manager works, with a possible error log, in the case of overlapping or missing source data

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. pivot table show details

If I have to connect some variables from a fact table to a calendar table using inactive relations (via USERELATIONSHIP in powerpivot), when I build an excel pivot table and I want to drill down using "show details" feature, the data is incorrect, because it only takes in consideration the active relation (forcing me to build two calendar tables to keep correct data in "show details" generated sheet).
    How is that possible? Thousand of users around the world uses this feature and it's not acceptable that a powerful and useful tool like Excel doesn't consider that... or am I wrong?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Power Query Advanced Editor and Formula Bar Intellisense

Add intellisense to the advanced editor and the formula bar for the Power Query M-Code.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Distinct Count in Pivot Tables

I wanted to group values in pivot tables, but also do a distinct count. Pivot table doesn't allow you to do both. Can someone please provide an update excel to perform this feature.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. pivotchart - (1) sometimes I only want to chart one or two of the columns but that forces me to update my table which affects other results

it would be good if when you run a pivot chart based on a pivot table you can drop a column of data from the chart without affecting base table. I use the pivot chart to summarise a number of variables but I want the chart to only show one or two of the variables.

Also when displaying data I like to use more than one pivot table, however you then have to update filters separately. it would be good if filters can be linked on more than one table so that they only need to be updated once. (I…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow slicers on protected sheets to be USED but not edited

When we protect a worksheet, we can choose whether to edit objects.

...If we uncheck this box, slicers can't be used. They become useless decoration.

...If we check this box, slicers and all other objects on the sheet, can be selected, moved, resized, and deleted.

Please allows us to protect our objects while also allowing us to use our slicers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Percentage of total update to add n value

I would love an option to add the n value any time I use percentage of total xxxxx in pivot tables. Percentage of what is a very common ask when you pivot table any data and want to display any of the percentage of total options. Currently you need to have one column or row that displays the counts or sum (or whatever variable you are using) and a second column or row to display percent. When what I really want is one column or row with percent but I always need to provide context for percent. Is it 10%…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Option of not aggregating in Pivot Tables.

I like the look and ease of using Pivot Tables, but would like to view actual values instead of aggregates. I've seen this suggestion appear on several other forums, but am surprised it has not been added as a feature.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. To end slicer work and clutter, allow one slicer to redirect other slicers

Suppose you have a dashboard filled with charts, each of which could be modified in various ways. For example, you might want to change one chart's...time period, smoothing value, lines that are displayed, data ID, organization, polynomial level, etc.

Today, the only way to do that is to set up individual slicers for each chart. The dashboard I'm working on now requires eight slicers for each of eight charts. This is a lot of work; it's difficult to cram them all onto the screen; and it slows performance.

It would be so much easier if we could use one slicer…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. smart Pivot table page break to selected Row field

When sending a report to a coworker they usually need it printed. In order to make it easy to use I have to manually add page breaks to keep row sub-fields consolidated to a page (prevent rows from running over to the next page for a field under a higher priority field). It would be great it there was the ability in power pivot to decide which field you would like to use as an automatic page break for either every new group under that field or at the last field-group that would not end up running over to the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow Power Query to get parameters from cell values

With MS Query, I could replace a portion of the SQL code that would be executed with a "parameter" from a cell. I realize this opens up the possibility of code injection, but with proper input validation in Power Query, this should not be an issue. The way parameters are set now in Power Query, there is no way to dynamically get a value from a cell, only to either manually type it in, or get one from another query. There's also no way to pass the manually entered parameter to the SQL code, only to filter on results, which…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow dates to display un-grouped by default

Make a setting to allow dates to display un-grouped by default. Currently when you add dates to the pivot table fields it creates the quarter, month, year deal and you have to right click and ungroup. I see the usefulness of both ways but ungrouped is used far more by some users.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. timeline slicer - hide items with no data

For "regular" slicers, there is an option to either visually indicate items with no data, or hide items with no data. For timeline slicers, no such option exists. It would be nice if the timeline slicer would gray out years/quarter/months that are not in the underlying data set.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base