Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Display pivot table headers in the columns headers

With the tables, if the header is not visible, Excel displays the headers of the table in the columns headers (see the picture attached)

It will be great to have the same behaviour with the pivot tables

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bring Power Pivot closer to Power BI Desktop Functionality

Development for Power Pivot for Excel seems to have stopped around 2016. TREATAS got added as a DAX function that works, but it never got added to Intellisense, and that was nearly 3 years ago.

Today, the two measure editors (still no idea why there are different ones) are a very VERY poor substitute for the fantastic DAX editor in Power BI Desktop. It is a real pain to properly tab and indent in the Excel Measure editor(s).

In the last year there have been about a dozen new DAX functions and several updated functions per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/new-dax-functions but NONE of…

110 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow non-calculated data in pivot tables

There are times when I need to add a column to a pivot table that just shows the value from the field without calculation. For example, part number and part name. I will setup the the pivot table to summarize by part name, but I need the part number to show up in a column, not as a sub-item of the part name in the first column.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Preserve Pivot Table layout if field was renamed in source table

Hello,

Background

1. Create table:

|Date|Number|
    |01.01.2020|10|
    |02.01.2020|20|

1. Create pivot table based on table from p.1.

2. Drag field "Date" to rows of pivot table.

3. Drag field "Number" to columns.

Problem

1. Rename field "Date" to "Date 1".

2. Update Pivot Table.

Field "Data" has been removed from Pivot Table because it's been renamed to "Data 1". Now you need to manually add this "Date 1" back to Pivot Table.

Proposal

Based on example from "Background" and "Problem" sections:

1. Don't remove field from Pivot Table if it's been renamed.

2. Rename field in Pivot Table according to a new name in source table and don't…
    1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Default PivotTable format

Set our pivots to automatically default to a specific format, i.e., accounting? Regardless of the number format, the pivot is always a general format that I have to change to accounting. To be able to set a default format would save time!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Organize DAX Measures in Folders

Users should be able to organize measures in folders and subfolders when configuring a Power Pivot using Excel's data model. This would be similar to the functionality available in SSAS Tabular.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Document DAX with enough detail to not have to take a 3rd-party course to learn it

Microsoft has done an OK job documenting the DAX functions, and this is fine for those that already understand DAX. However, there is little documentation to understand DAX in the first place and users must resort to taking SQLBI's Mastering DAX course to learn basic concepts such as context transition, data lineage, expanded tables, and the evaluation of CALCULATE. The current cost and effort required to learn DAX are a deterrent for anyone thinking of using DAX in their work, which hinders the adoption of DAX.

Please lower the barrier to entry by thoroughly documenting DAX in a user-friendly way…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Please allow functionality to turn pivot table to basic spreadsheet.

It would be very flexible to be able to deconstruct pivot table into basic worksheet. This should break the connection and all pivot table propertiies. Of course it would be irreversible.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Pivot Table - Value Field Setting: No "Sum of..." please

Pivot Table: Value Field Setting

Show just the value (no stats). Remove "Sum of", "Count of" from pivot tables and charts.
    Pivot Tables are Fantastic Tools to quickly filter and display data, but I have to run VBA every time I do a new selection to remove the wording "Sum of..." or what ever the default is...
    Please assist
    Thank you
    John Murray

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Pivot tables: Actually apply the user-set paramter "for empty cells show ..."

In the pivot tables' options, there's a checkbox called "For empty cells show..." along with a textbox. Whatever the checkbox's or the textbox's values are, empty cells all display (Empty) in our pivot tables. The pivot tables should respect the user's choice.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Pivot table automatically move another pivot table to avoid overlapping range

Please give us the option to allow a pivot table to MOVE another pivot table when the first pivot table is expanded, so as to avoid an overlapping range conflict.

Tables (listobject) already work this way. I.e. if I have two tables, one is on top of the other, and I continue adding rows to the first table, it will automatically move the second table further down the page. Why cannot pivot tables do the same thing?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Version 2002 (Build 12527.21104) connect to prostgresql

Pro Plus Excel 2002 12527.21104 connect to prostgresql return below error message. rollback to previous version. problem is gone.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. There should be option of count of all and unique values in pivot table

There should be option of count of all and unique values in pivot table

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Set defaults for pivot table formatting

Allow the user to set defaults for pivot table formatting. For example, in most of my reports, I want data to be formatted with two decimal places, a comma between thousands, and negative numbers to be shown as red with parentheses. Today, I have to manually do all that formatting for each new pivot table and my formatting gets reset whenever I drag the field from one quadrant to another. Please allow these to be preset and persist.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Pivot Table Should Refresh Automatically on Create

When an existing Excel Table is Resized, and a Pivot Table is inserted using this newly defined data range, the new Pivot Table does not include the columns newly added to the Excel Table, until the newly created Pivot Table is Refreshed.

On Insert --> Pivot Table, the newly inserted Pivot Table should reflect the current state of the defined range, instead of a cached version.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Hide filter arrows (display option)

Filter arrows should be able to be hidden in all tables (including PivotTables). This is especially applicable when using linked tables in a PowerPoint presentation.

In the PivotTable Options > Display menu there is a checkbox for "Display field captions and filter drop downs". This should be split into two options: "Display field captions" and "Filter drop downs", with Filter drop downs having two sub-boxes: "Remove filtering" and "Show filter arrow when hovering". This would make the filtering arrow only appear when the curser was hovering over the box or it was the active cell.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Power Query: Name new worksheet from "Load to…"

It should be possible to name the new worksheet from the "load to…" function in Power Query. Any table that is created inherits the name of the query that produced it, but the worksheet always receives a default "Sheet1". For my purposes, inheriting the query name would be sufficient. Others may wish to name it from within PQ.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 16 17
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base