Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow users to set/choose defaults (via settings) for PivotTables - Layout (compact, tabular, classic, etc.), PT Options, etc.

Excel 2007 introduced the new Compact Form and made it be the default for all future pivot tables. With this layout, multiple row fields are compressed into column 1 of the pivot table. This makes the data very difficult to later re-use.

My request is to add a setting in Excel Options where each person can choose their default pivot table layout. All future pivot tables will use Tabular, Outline, Compact, or Flat. (Flat is a new layout introduced by Power Pivot... it is Tabular with no Subtotals).

Additionally, the same settings area shouls allow the user to save other…

532 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

65 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add ability to collapse field areas in PivotTable Field and Area Side by Side view

With the ability/normal experience of creating many DAX measures in Power Pivot, the Values area of the PivotTable design is now too small to use effectively. Since the Values area only shows about 4 rows it's really difficult to organize fields correctly when try to drag fields around if you've got 10 or more fields in your Values area. (not at all uncommon for Power Pivot users, although certainly not restricted to them.)

With the introduction of slicers, however, we also tend to use the Report Filter area less, and don't usually add as many fields to the row/column areas.

152 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Ken,

Thanks for logging this one, and thanks to others for voting this up.. We’ve actually had this on our list to get to for some time and have been balancing doing this against other… The more the community helps us rank it higher, the better the signal on overall importance… so, for those that haven’t voted for this but want it, do vote!

thanks
        ash [MS XL]

• Create DAX calculated measures in Excel for SSAS Tabular

Enable writing measures in DAX in a pivot table connected to Tabular or Power Pivot.
        In practice, it would be enough to enable a choice between MDX and DAX in the "New Calculated Measure" dialog box and use the following syntax for creating a DAX measure instead of an MDX member in measures…

CREATE SESSION MEASURE [Model].Sales[My Sales 2] = SUMX ( Sales, Sales[Quantity] * Sales[Unit Price] /5 )

I received this requests from several enterprise customers, but I think it's useful to any data analyst accessing tabular models (but you should be able to write DAX measures also for…

94 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Include Median in Pivot Table Value Field Settings

Current summarization options include count, sum, average, min, max, etc., but median is not available.

35 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Pivot Table Default Number Formatting

When a field is added to the values area the number formatting should default to the number formatting of the field in the source data. Every time a field is added to the values area, the user has to change the number format. It defaults to General, which is ugly. Most of the time the user will change the formatting to something similar to how the number is formatted in the source data. This feature would save users a lot of time.

25 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • PivotTable-able crosstab data entry

PivotTables and data entry butt heads with each other.

Data is easiest to enter in a crosstab format (headings on rows and columns). The row and column headings eliminate having to specify them for each value.

For example, a fuel price table:

.........Canada..................................USA....................................
              .........Diesel...Gasoline...Propane...Diesel...Gasoline...Propane

If I want to specify $50 as the Canadian diesel price for 2013, I enter "$50" at the intersection of the correct headings.

However, to be able to use PivotTables, the data must be moved to "record" format (no row headings, only column (field) headings, and a lot of repeated information). This is…

9 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Fiscal years and PivotTables

It should be easier to display months in their proper fiscal year order, with a user defined starting or ending month, rather than only in calendar year order.

9 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Enable the Time Level functionality of the Timeline Slicer for Locked Worksheets

Whenever you lock the worksheet the Time Level functionality of the Timeline Slicer is no longer an option to use. As a developer this negates the ability of having controls in place so that the end users do not alter the document.

8 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Expand/collapse nested "user defined" hierarchies like attribute hierarchies (OLAP)

Nested attribute hierarchies could be expanded and collapsed. If a user defined hierarchy is nested with attribute hierarchies, only the user defined hierarchy could be expanded and collapsed.

I suggest, that nested hierarchies could be expanded and collapsed indepedet from the type of hierarchy.

7 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • slicer search

Adding a search box to a slicer (similar to that of a filter) would be very useful for slicers with several hundred possible selections. It would be useful if the multiselect feature could also be incorporated

7 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Improve linking PowerPoint and Excel

Ask any banker, consultant, accountant, project manager, anyone preparing a business plan. They will have two files. A workbook when they run their calcs. And a PowerPoint deck where they will present their analysis. And they will frequently correct or refresh the analysis and then update the PowerPoint deck.

Right now the only thing that remotely looks like a way to link the two is pasting tables as link in PowerPoint. However it is slow, unstable, and have an inconsistent format. And if you want to link a number in the middle of a sentence in a textbox, no luck.

6 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Auto Refresh Data for Pivot Tables

I was there was an option to auto refresh pivot tables when data is changed in the referencing data table. I am trying to move massive tabular spreadsheets which rely on cross linking formulas across several worksheets to data tables which leverage pivot tables to produce the data. The data in the data tables can change very frequently and my team need to see the totals (pivot tables) in real time. The only way to do this right now is with VBA macros which isnt reliable it seems.

6 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Build a Pivot Table from the Source Data Sheet

When creating a pivot table, a lot of time is spend navigating between the source data sheet, and the sheet the pivot table is on. It would be great to have the field list appear on the source data sheet. You could put a button on the field list or in the ribbon that allows you to jump to the source data sheet and keep the field list open. It is great to be able to see the data in the fields when building a pivot table, as the field name does not always give you enough info to know…

6 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Excel Pivot Tables Auto Time Grouping by Week

In Excel 2016 you can only group by day, month, quarter or year. Please add the ability to group by weeks or re-add the capability to group by number of days for pivot table data.

6 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Pivot tables - please add ability to save pivot field choices for next time.

I often drop new data into Excel..lots of rounds of new data. Each time i have to apply the same pivot so because of how this Excel is ... every single time i have to choose the same 3 fields and create the pivot. How can i just save this pivot and quickly apply it? why isnt that an option yet?? I want to save time. The data will be new ,but the field names remain the same so i want one click and it applies a saved pivot. We need that.

6 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Break link from source data to pivot table

At present you cannot send the output of a pivot table without the link to the underlying data - but often I want to do exactly that - share the results without sharing the base data.
                                  Cutting and pasting the pivot table works but loses all the careful formatting (actually worked much better up to Excel 2010, now entirely broken).
                                  So please can we have a method of preserving the output from pivot tables but delinking them from the source?

5 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Slicers - Events

Add Events to Slicers - like ActiveXControls

5 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow columns to be un-nested in pivot tables

I use pivot tables extensively for reporting but sometimes I need to report different metrics side by side. For example, count of one column next to row percentage total of another column. It would make life so very much easier if I were able to report different columns next to each other (un-nested), and would make Excel and pivot tables much more competitive as a reporting tool!

(I report on hundreds of entities at once, countif functions are cumbersome and spotty, I risk dropping rows by running successive pivot tables - and my rows are nested so "Show items with…

4 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Be able to use perspectives from Power Pivot in PivotTables

You can currently create Perspectives in the model, but when you build a PivotTable from the model, the only choice is the entire model. There should be a way to build a pivot table from a specific mode, or choose a model from the field list in the PivotTable after it is created. Either option would work.
                                        I believe it is possible if you are using PowerPivot deployed to SharePoint/SQL, but not simply in Excel. I'm currently using 2013, so I'm not sure if it is still a problem in SQL 2016.

4 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow Slicers to apply Top 10, Above / Below Average, Greater than / Less than / between opeators

Give options is a slicer that can apply Top 10 , above / below average, greater than / less than and other options available in a normal drop-down of a filter, this will replace the ancient user interface completely

3 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

How it works

• Create a user account if you want to add a new suggestion or vote on existing suggestions.
                                          • Select one of the feedback forums listed.
                                          • Check out the ideas others have suggested and vote on your favorites.
                                          • Be sure to search for your suggestion but if you can’t find something similar enough, you can submit your own.
                                          • Keep suggestions focused on a single idea per post and limited to 25 words or less.
                                          • When you post an idea to our forum, others will be able to subscribe to it and make comments.