Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Pick color in Excel Like at Powerpoint

In Powerpoint there is a color picker tool to bring custom colors to the pallete.

Many times we need to do it using PowerPoint to get the RGB combination to be used in Excel.

Could you replicate this color picker into Excel in the same way it exists in PowerPoint?

Portuguese:

Conta-gotas PowerPoint

No Powerpoint existe uma ferramenta para pegar as cores e retornar para a paleta, o conta-gotas.

Vocês podem fazer o mesmo no Excel?

Porque muitas vezes nós precisamos fazer isso usando o PowerPoint para pegar o RGB e colocar no Excel.

354 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

56 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Translate XLOOKUP and XMATCH to PROCX and CORRESPX in Portuguese

That's it: PROCX and CORRESPX in Portuguese versions of Excel to keep the same standard of the other functions.

🇧🇷🇵🇹🇦🇴🇲🇿🇨🇻

293 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please create a FILTERJSON (FILTROJSON) worksheet function

Hi. How about creating a FILTERJSON function? It would make our life easier allowing us to get JSON data with less workarounds.

Oi. Que tal criarem uma função de planilha FILTROJSON? Tornaria a nossa vida mais fácil nos permitindo obter dados em formato JSON com menos soluções alternativas.

🇺🇸 English: FILTERXML --> FILTERJSON
    🇨🇿 Czech: FILTERXML --> FILTERJSON
    🇩🇰 Danish: FILTRERXML --> FILTRERJSON
    🇳🇱 Dutch: XML.FILTEREN --> JSON.FILTEREN
    🇫🇮 Finnish: SUODATA.XML --> SUODATA.JSON
    🇫🇷 French: FILTRE.XML --> FILTRE.JSON
    🇩🇪 German: XMLFILTERN --> JSONFILTERN
    🇬🇷 Greek: FILTERXML --> FILTERJSON
    🇭🇺 Hungarian: XMLSZŰRÉS --> JSONSZŰRÉS
    🇮🇹 Italian: FILTRO.XML --> FILTRO.JSON
    🇳🇴 Norwegian:…

58 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Release XLOOKUP to the world!

Why only release to 15 percent of users?! Let the world have XLOOKUP and XMATCH now()!

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. "Excel found a problem with one or more formula references" - Please tell me where!

One of my least favorite messages that Excel provides is:

"Excel found a problem with one or more formula references in this worksheet. Check that the cell references, range names, defined names, and links to other workbooks in your formulas are all correct."

But I can never find the bad references. It's usually buried somewhere very deep, in a chart series formula, or in a name definition, or who knows where else.

If Excel finds a problem, please Excel, tell us where it is.

100 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. SUMCOLS and SUMROWS functions for Dynamic Arrays

Create new functions that SUM each column in a dynamic array (SUMCOLS(Ref#)) to produce a row of totals, and SUM each row to produce a column of totals (SUMROWS(Ref#))

Also COUNTCOLS, COUNTROWS, AVERAGECOLS, AVERAGEROWS, but these are less important than SUMCOLS & SUMROWS.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Bring Power Pivot closer to Power BI Desktop Functionality

Development for Power Pivot for Excel seems to have stopped around 2016. TREATAS got added as a DAX function that works, but it never got added to Intellisense, and that was nearly 3 years ago.

Today, the two measure editors (still no idea why there are different ones) are a very VERY poor substitute for the fantastic DAX editor in Power BI Desktop. It is a real pain to properly tab and indent in the Excel Measure editor(s).

In the last year there have been about a dozen new DAX functions and several updated functions per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/new-dax-functions but NONE of…

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Implement Quasi MDI Windows using Windows 10 Sets Feature

In Windows 10 there seems to be a feature, still under development called Windows Sets. https://www.howtogeek.com/352109/how-to-use-sets-in-windows-10-to-organize-apps-into-tabs/
    While MS pulled this feature from the latest public builds of Windows 10, it looks like it’s not dead, but sleeping, due to make a comeback once issues have been ironed out. https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3081852/windows-10-sets-coming-back-rumour

If this is the case then it would be the perfect way to bring make MDI like functionality to Excel for those users who miss it. Certainly from a Excel custom Application perspective MDI windows worked very well.

It would be great to have a setting in a future version of…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add a MONTHDIF function

The formula should work like the YEARFRAC function. It should calculate partial months on either end of the dates. So starting 1/15/20 should calculate as 16/31 days or 0.516.. months, and ending at 6/5/20 should calculate as 25/30 day or 0.8333.. months. Currently, I have to use a ridiculously long formula to achieve this.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make Conditional Formatting Rules Editor window sizable.

Make Conditional Formatting Rules Editor window sizable.

101 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Make undo work per workbook, not for all of Excel. I am commonly working in two workbooks and need to undo something I did in the other work

Ctrl + Z should work per workbook, not for all of Excel. I commonly have two workbooks open and work in them simultaneously, but when I use the undo shortcut it backs out through all of excel, instead of just the active workbook.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. [Excel Currency Conversion Function] add Tezos XTZ (Cryptocurrency)

Please add support for Tezos in this function.
    Tezos is very popular and provides formal verification for Smart-Contracts, on-chain-Governance and it is the first Blockchain which is amendable (without the need of so called "Hardforks"). Ticker symbol is $XTZ.

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Getting Data from another excel file copies the cell format and style

I want to have a separate excel sheet that can get an updated data from another worksheet and also follows the cell format and style.

I can only get an updated data but it won't follow the cell format and style

If I do a copy/paste, I can get the data with the format and style but it won't update any data if there are changes from the other workbook

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add a floating totals row to dynamic arrays

When using dynamic arrays, it would be nice to have the option of a floating totals row at the bottom of the dynamic spill range.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Eliminate the new "Save your changes to this file?" dialog box

In the last week, whenever I close down a new Excel file without saving it, a new dialog box appears asking "Save changes to this file?". Whereas previously I could use keyboard shortcuts to immediately close down a file (Ctrl-F4, N), this no longer works. Instead, the new box interprets the "N" keypress as something to be entered into the "File Name" text field.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. "TIME TRAVEL" FEATURE.

Excel To include with time travel feature.This will facilitate to access back the file even if saved for erroneous data which will enable to access file for previous times status like 5min, 10min, 15min etc. back or before. In this way even file saved with heavy mistakes can be retrieved back to previous status and can be utilised for further work without redoing as whole.It is like restore to some known good configuration as in windows registry.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add Power BI Dataflows as a data source in "Get & Transform Data"

Please add Power BI Dataflows as a data source so that I can import data from a Dataflow into the local spreadsheet/data model.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-dataflows-create-use

80 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Resize GoTo Dialog Box

For the love of G-d, please, after all these years, make all dialog boxes, especially the GoTo dialog box!

For example, it is IMPOSSIBLE to decipher contents in the GoTo dialog box when using longer Excel file and sheet names.

Most programming languages provide simple ways to define resizable dialog boxes (e.g. Resizable: True, Max Height, Max Width, etc.)
    If Microsoft would take 1 extra minute to fix this in Excel, I believe it would save users like me hundreds of minutes per year. That would free me up to use even more Microsoft products!

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Please Allow Keyboard Shortcut Customizations In Excel.

Surprisingly Customizations In Keyboard Shortcuts Are Allowed For Excel In Mac And Not Windows Even When Both Excel And Windows Are Microsoft Trademark.
    Please Add Feature To Allow Keyboard Customizations To Excel As In Work For Aiding Ease Of Access To Various Commands As Per User Preferences.
    Thanks.

330 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Convert Dynamic Arrays into Tables

The new Dynamic Arrays make possible to automatically fill down formulas. Tables can also fill down formulas. Microsoft Excel Team could make both features be compatible so we could convert Dynamic Arrays into Tables making them expand and shrink according to the main formula.

70 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 266 267
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base