Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. AutoSave Master Switch rather than an "I Told YOu So!" later

Microsoft has added a new feature to help users co-author files. Whether you are for or against this feature is not my point here: it needs Excel's AutoSave switched on to work. That's fine. But it shouldn't be the default. It is accepted that Office is trying to make various apps consistent, but Excel is used differently. What makes it the most popular software in the world is the ability to experiment without consequences.

Made a mistake? No fear, close without saving and re-open. Accidentally delete a sheet? Don't worry, close without saving and re-open. Replaced all formulae with =RAND()?…

71 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

8 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Allow interaction with Excel while in Power Query

Please make the Power Query editor window (Get Data) non-model. When building complex queries, we often need to go back to Excel to change a worksheet and look at data. Right now, the Power Query editor window takes control over the application, preventing interaction with Excel.

The current behaviour makes it very difficult to do things like the following:
      -Mid query, go back and check a worksheet to see exactly what a cell value may be that you want to refer to
      -When we have a static table in Excel and are trying to build a query that lands an…

52 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Invert Filter Selection

I'd like to see an option to invert filter selections. For example: If i apply a filter in a table i can select some boxes with a tickmark, but if i want to invert my selection i need to unmark selected itens before and mark the others.

In resume, i'd like to invert itens selected in a filter for the others unmarked.

21 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • YOU HAVE RUINED EXCEL 2016

WHY CAN I NOT OPEN MORE THAN ONE SPREADSHEET INSIDE EXCEL< WHY WOULD I WANT MULTIPLE WINDOWS THIS IS A JOKE

COMPLETELY UNPRODUCTIVE

14 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Universal IF statement - to meet needs of IFNULL, IFBLANK, IFZERO etc.

Are you tired of duplicating complicated formulas within an IF statement in order manage blanks or zeros?

e.g. IF(long formula="","",long formula)

A universal IF statement (lets call it IFX) would decrease this type of duplication without having to add multiple new IF formulas the likes of IFNULL, IFBLANK or IFZERO.

An IFX function would accept the condition you want to test the formula against, if the condition is true it would return the specified alternative (such as blank). If the condition is false it would return the value of the formula itself. Ideally it would be able to accept multiple…

20 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • recent filters

Have a Control with the most recent filters (last 5 to 10 filters), so the filters can be reapplied to an existing table.

This should enable power users to work faster and Archive more in Excel.

28 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Restore the pasting of tab separated text into columns from an HTML <pre> block and web data feed that has been removed from v16.0.7927.1020

When using data/from web or pasting a table from word or pasting an HTML <pre> block from a web page the tab separated data used to get automatically placed into columns. With v16.0.7927.1020 this has stopped - all the data goes into one column. There remains the option (checked by default) to do this when ingesting data from the web, but it no longer happens. When ingesting data from a web feed, you can't use the "paste as text" option to achieve this effect, so this change in behaviour has effectively broken our application's reporting facility. It still works in…

11 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Increase the Data Validation List Items Font Size

The font size of the list items within a Data Validation list is often too small to read. If you can't add a feature to allow the user to choose the font size of the list, then perhaps you could do one of the following:

1) Set the font type (Arial, Calibri, etc.) and size equal to the size of the Normal font

2) Set the font type and size equal to the font size of the Cell

See the related post in the Excel answers forum:
                  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_winother/data-velidation-drop-list/fa0aa7f7-64fc-4856-ae76-e299480827db

10 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • The function price

In the function "price", the yield argument is restricted to non-negative numbers. This no longer makes sense, and have rendered the function useless and us as users in troubble since we now have negative yields on the market. Mathematically there should be no problem to allow a negative yield, so fixing the issue would be easy.

6 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Option to get old text data import wizard

The new data import editor has some major flaws:

First, it takes 100 times longer to import some simple 500 rows of data
                      Second, the date format selection for columns (e.g. I want to convert MM/DD/YYYY format to DD.MM.YYYY)

I understand that the new import editor has some advantages but I do not need any of the new functions it has. The old text data import wizard could do everything I needed it do do.

5 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Open multiple spreadsheets/workbooks within one instance of Excel 2016.

Why was this discontinued? I hate that every workbook I open is now in its own instance of Excel. Such a waste of space and performance. Please bring this feature back!

76 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • update VBA

It would have a couple of stages.
                          Stage 1: Get Visual Studio features into the VBA development environment.
                          Stage 2: Fully integrate VBA into Visual Studio.
                          Stage 3: Continually improve VBA until it is a modern language.

Notes:
                          VBA is probably the most used programming language in the world.
                          It has so many established users that MS could really get big brownie points by continually improving the experience for users and developers. Why it has stagnated for so long I have never understood.

I have seen your response for the above posted previously and you are missing a major point.…

29 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Opening multiple spreadsheets in the same instance

Please, please allow Excel 2016 to open multiple spreadsheets in the same Excel 2016 window--like in previous versions before 2013. I hate opening separate instances when I am only using worksheets from the same workbook.

"Excel 2016 when opened opens only one instance. However, let us know if you are talking about the ability in Excel 2016 to open multiple spreadsheets in the same Excel 2016 window? If yes, then this feature is not available in Excel 2016 and was discontinued since Excel 2013."

7 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Sub tabs

Having numerous tabs can be very messy and difficult to navigate through. It would be nice to be able to group similar / like tabs together. These tabs would be visible only when the main tab is selected. Attached is a sample of what I would be happy with.

15 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Correct spelling

I teach students English in Australia. Here we spell words like colour with the 'u' included, centre with 're' not 'er', '-ise' words with an 's' not a 'z', and to us the plural of formula is formulae. These are just examples. It's hard to teach spellings according to our rules when students are presented with software which spells words "incorrectly". It's not hard to show respect for how people outside the US spell words so please make available (as default) versions of your software (all of it) where the software has English/Australian/New Zealand spellings. I recognise that we can…

3 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Make "Function Arguments" dialog box work properly for all VBA functions

I use Excel 2013 and for long VBA function definitions I get "(...)" displayed for function arguments, bur the function is still callable from a sheet.

I think that this dialog box should "work" for all valid VBA functions.

The same applies to the "Insert Function" dialog box.

6 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Need ability to allow only paste values in protected Excel without using macros or vba

Need ability to allow only paste values in excel without using vba i.e. in an .xlsx. This makes protected worksheet templates better.

We send protected templates to our suppliers who fill in invoice data and send back to us. The Excel template cannot have VBA code or macros to ensure that it passes through email systems. When we get back the template we use an inhouse VSTO addin to validate / push the data into our Accounting System. The data validations / conditional formatting built into the template get overwritten if the supplier does a normal paste. However if we…

3 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Rollout "Set PivotTable Default Layout Options" to all Excel 2016 Users

After years and years of fighting Rob Collie's horrific "compact" layout, and thousands upon thousands of clicks to set PivotTables up so that they LOOK like people expect them to look, I see with delight that you've fixed it! At long last!

Except you're only giving it to Office 365 subscribers?

My suggestion is to turn it on for everyone. Or if that is the plan, then you need to really clear up all the incredible ambiguity and confusion about what's an upgrade and what's an update and who's gonna get what update, when. Because it's one jumbled up mess…

4 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Does it make sense for a student Office not to have Power Pivot? It's the future!

Does it make sense for a student Office not to have Power Pivot? It's the future! and it's already available for other office builds and BI family.

Really, there is no explanation for not to learn such incredible feature.

5 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Power Query - cache shared nodes

Update Power Query in Excel to take advantage of caching in cases where a parent node refers to a child node that has already been refreshed (as exists in Power BI desktop today).

This issue creates significant performance problems with refresh times when creating highly interdependent financial and operational models. This is a show stopper from a usability and customer acceptance standpoint.

439 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 124 125
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base