Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. NULL Worksheet Function

This request is to add a new function, =NULL(), which returns "blank" or null, forcing the cell to act as if it truly is empty; not a cell with an empty text string "" or 0.

48 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

22 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Paste Special - Add a numeric field when using one operation

Via the Paste Special we can operate on a range of values. However, to do, for instance, a multiplication, we first need to use a cell for it. As an option I would like to see that we can instead add a number to the Paste Special dialog as the attached screen shot shows.

36 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Be able to protect Power Query with password

Now any user can edit and change Power Query connections, it would be very interesting to be able to protect Power Queries with a password.

Thanks

84 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Drag and Drop Chart Elements

Rather than fiddling around with various settings in a chart (such as moving the chart axis from the top to the bottom after reversing category order on a bar chart, or repositioning the chart title, or moving a legend, or changing the order of legend entries, etc.), why not give us a drag-and-drop UI for chart elements?

16 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Resize the Chart Gap Width Property by Dragging with the Mouse

The Gap Width slider and percentages are difficult to figure out. It would be great if we could just select a bar in the chart, hover over it's border and resize the Bar Width with the mouse.

This would be similar to resizing a shape. A screenshot is attached.

12 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Be able to protect Power Pivot data model and measures with password

When you create a data model and measures in PowerPivot with PRO versions, users can modify and edit both.

Users and customers that have no idea on how the model has been build can make a lot of damage and dysfunction.

As well as VBA has it would be very interesting that Power Pivot has the option to be able to protect data model and measures with a password.

70 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Get Tables working on protected sheets (add rows, sort, filter, etc.)

I would like to be able to, under the right circumstances, have the ability to add/remove rows of a table which resides on a protected sheet.

Currently if you protect a sheet you can't insert/delete rows of a table. Even if you unprotect all cells and allow inserting/deleting of rows on sheet protection, it doesn't matter and is completely ignored.

What I am proposing would have to follow specific rules:

* Table cells would have to be unprotected
                * Cells below table would have to be unprotected (truly optional † )
                * Insert Rows would have to be specified in…

86 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Put the color back in the Quick Access icons. The 2016 icon are impossible to decipher.

Put the color back in the Quick Access icons. The 2016 icon are impossible to decipher. The white theme is too bright. Please fix this awful problem. I am an accountant and I must use Excel desktop due to the size of my files. Your GIANT step backwards in icons is incomprehensible. Please give us a theme with the 2010 Excel colors and excellent definition.

6 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Add ability to change border color of all existing borders in a selection

I have formatted my spreadsheet with some cells having thick line borders, some having thin line, dotted lines, etc. I now want to change the color of ALL borders in a selection. I would like to be able to select an area, then choose "change border color" and select a color from the selector. All existing borders would then be changed to that color.

5 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Find/list/format all volatile cells

Any way for excel to identify all volatile cells (and maybe as a separate list, all cells that depend on volatile cells) that would revolutionise our ability to improve a workbook's efficiency.

Excel must know this list of cells. Why not share it with the user! Surely this could be done really easily. even as a separate csv file report or something...

but preferably as a button (similar to 'Show formulae - ctrl+' ) that temporarily removed other formatting and coloured cells by whether they were volatile (black cell with white font), or dependent on a volatile cell (dark grey…

3 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Open multiple spreadsheets/workbooks within one instance of Excel 2016.

Why was this discontinued? I hate that every workbook I open is now in its own instance of Excel. Such a waste of space and performance. Please bring this feature back!

6 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • SVG

Export to SVG:

One of the features we heavily use today is exporting Excel files to SVG. Unfortunately, the process to achieve this is quite a few steps: 1 export to pdf, 2.use inkscape to convert pdf to svg, 3. clear any formatting issues and save to SVG. It would be really awesome to be able to export directly from Excel to SVG. Since excel supports export to PDF, and PDF is vector based, I would hope an export to SVG would be pretty easy to add. Happy to provide examples of what we are doing.

29 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Annoyance: Window size not saved when file is saved.

PowerPoint 2016, x64
                            When I've set the window of an Excel file to Restore (not Maximize or Minimize, but the size I want by dragging the handles), and save the file, the size isn't saved. The file reopens in Maximize and when the Restore icon is clicked, it goes to an arbitrary size, probably associated with "Cascade."

This goes against Windows practice since Windows 2.0 and 3.0 for DOS (Remember .ini files, anyone?). Why was this change made. I frequently work with two files side-by-side or over-and-under and have to fiddle around to get the state I had when I…

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Add Change Case to text formatting options

I would like to see Change Case added to Excel's text formatting options. =UPPER() has its place but when I need to standardize the appearance of data, highlighting one or more columns and clicking an icon would be so much easier. In my job, I import A LOT of Excel tables into various databases and this would save a significant amount of time. Thank you.

4 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • More detailed text formatting for concatenated texts

If a cell contains text, then it is currently possible to change the size or the formatting of parts of the text (putting some but not all of it in boldface, for example). However, if the text is computed, for example with the concatenation operator &, then currently any such formatting acts only on the entire text.

It would be very helpful to have functions which apply formatting only to selected sections of text, e.g. FORMAT("boldface";"STOP ")&"doing "&FORMAT("point";28;"that!") or the like.

3 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Make SUMIFS syntax consistent with SUMIF, COUNTIF and COUNTIFS

All three functions, SUMIF, COUNTIF and COUNTIFS use a similar syntax:

=COUNTIF(range, criteria)
                                  =COUNTIFS(criteria_range1, criteria1, criteria_range2, criteria2,…)
                                  =SUMIF(range, citeria, sum_range)

i.e. first you specify the range, then the criteria, and for sumif, sum_range.

But SUMIFS uses the reverse order:
                                  =SUMIFS(sum_range, criteria_range1, criteria1, criteria_range2, criteria2,…)

Firstly, it's a bit confusing. But more importantly, it's an annoyance when you realise that instead of using SUMIF you need to add another criterion - you basically have to re-write the whole function, changing the order of arguments. In case of COUNTIFS, it's just a matter of adding another criterion, which is so much easier.

2 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • To convert Text to columns

To convert Text to columns, an option must be there for random divide the text and not fixed width

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Enable copy/paste to a comment box

Existing thread seems rather confused. But it would be useful to copy text or a section from a worksheet into a comment box.

2 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Open only one Excel spreadsheet at a time when starting Excel.

I'd like for Excel spreadsheets that are minimized to STAY minimized when I open another Excel file. I often have Excel Files open for daily data entries (e.g. people who enter my office without an appointment and why). These files don't need to open when doing my work (invoicing, analysis, charting, etc.). Just keep the other instances minimized until I want them. They'll know because I would click on them. Just an option to "Keep other instances minimized when opening Excel file"

3 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Spreadsheet Inquire: More intuitive display of issues identified in worksheet

We understand that Microsoft Spreadsheet Inquire and Spreadsheet Compare for Excel 2013 and 2016 come with a number of features that help with auditing spreadsheets. Spreadsheet Inquire, in particular, will produce lists of common issues such as inconsistent formulae and raw numbers used in formulae.

As well as producing such reports in list format, it would be great if they could be easily and intuitively identified, in particular by overlaying the original worksheets with colour-coding or symbols (i.e. a different colour / shading pattern would indicate a change in formulae between cells). Is this something Microsoft is planning on developing?

3 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 93 94
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

How it works

• Create a user account if you want to add a new suggestion or vote on existing suggestions.
                                          • Select one of the feedback forums listed.
                                          • Check out the ideas others have suggested and vote on your favorites.
                                          • Be sure to search for your suggestion but if you can’t find something similar enough, you can submit your own.
                                          • Keep suggestions focused on a single idea per post and limited to 25 words or less.
                                          • When you post an idea to our forum, others will be able to subscribe to it and make comments.