Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. NULL Worksheet Function

This request is to add a new function, =NULL(), which returns "blank" or null, forcing the cell to act as if it truly is empty; not a cell with an empty text string "" or 0.

38 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

17 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Paste Special - Add a numeric field when using one operation

Via the Paste Special we can operate on a range of values. However, to do, for instance, a multiplication, we first need to use a cell for it. As an option I would like to see that we can instead add a number to the Paste Special dialog as the attached screen shot shows.

31 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Be able to protect Power Query with password

Now any user can edit and change Power Query connections, it would be very interesting to be able to protect Power Queries with a password.

Thanks

79 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Resize the Chart Gap Width Property by Dragging with the Mouse

The Gap Width slider and percentages are difficult to figure out. It would be great if we could just select a bar in the chart, hover over it's border and resize the Bar Width with the mouse.

This would be similar to resizing a shape. A screenshot is attached.

10 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Be able to protect Power Pivot data model and measures with password

When you create a data model and measures in PowerPivot with PRO versions, users can modify and edit both.

Users and customers that have no idea on how the model has been build can make a lot of damage and dysfunction.

As well as VBA has it would be very interesting that Power Pivot has the option to be able to protect data model and measures with a password.

67 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Drag and Drop Chart Elements

Rather than fiddling around with various settings in a chart (such as moving the chart axis from the top to the bottom after reversing category order on a bar chart, or repositioning the chart title, or moving a legend, or changing the order of legend entries, etc.), why not give us a drag-and-drop UI for chart elements?

10 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Get Tables working on protected sheets (add rows, sort, filter, etc.)

I would like to be able to, under the right circumstances, have the ability to add/remove rows of a table which resides on a protected sheet.

Currently if you protect a sheet you can't insert/delete rows of a table. Even if you unprotect all cells and allow inserting/deleting of rows on sheet protection, it doesn't matter and is completely ignored.

What I am proposing would have to follow specific rules:

* Table cells would have to be unprotected
                * Cells below table would have to be unprotected (truly optional † )
                * Insert Rows would have to be specified in…

76 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

33 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • SVG

Export to SVG:

One of the features we heavily use today is exporting Excel files to SVG. Unfortunately, the process to achieve this is quite a few steps: 1 export to pdf, 2.use inkscape to convert pdf to svg, 3. clear any formatting issues and save to SVG. It would be really awesome to be able to export directly from Excel to SVG. Since excel supports export to PDF, and PDF is vector based, I would hope an export to SVG would be pretty easy to add. Happy to provide examples of what we are doing.

28 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Format cell as a checkbox (TRUE, FALSE)

Offer a format that displays the boolean value of a cell as a checked box if TRUE, unchecked box if FALSE, grayed box if text or other nonbool.

Bonus: Toggle value OnClick would be intuitive.

Lots of uses for this. Current options are awkward for users. Yes/No dropdown is not as good as a checkbox for touch/mobile.

31 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • IRM read permission does not allow to change a filter or a pivot, nor to run a macro

The RMS permissions on a document for a user depend on the permission a user has for that library or document in sharepoint. The mapping from the sharepoint permissions to the RMS permissions are fixed and cannot be configured at this moment. This causes problems for users having sharepoint read access, when opening an excel workbook because they cannot change filters, make or change pivots, running macros. This makes the reading process of RMS protected workbooks unusable.

44 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Make all windows containing variable-sized content resizable

Too many windows force the user scroll well before the comfortable screen space for the window is exhausted. We also do not want these windows to simply be bigger and potentially take up an unnecessary amount of screen space.

For the best of both worlds, I suggest that a window should be resizable if and only if it contains variable-sized content (e.g. scroll bars, text boxes).

Examples of specific windows are listed in the comments.

53 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Expand/collapse nested "user defined" hierarchies like attribute hierarchies (OLAP)

Nested attribute hierarchies could be expanded and collapsed. If a user defined hierarchy is nested with attribute hierarchies, only the user defined hierarchy could be expanded and collapsed.

I suggest, that nested hierarchies could be expanded and collapsed indepedet from the type of hierarchy.

7 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • New *IFs function to accept any aggregating function

The *Ifs functions are very popular among excel users, it seems like every new version of excel adds a few more of these functions,and I see a bunch of requests on here to add even more. perhaps the best approach may be to combine them into a Ifs function to rule them all.

it would be similar to existing IFS functions, but the first parameter would let you define what to do with the matching data.

e.g. =Sumifs(A:A,B:B,E1,C:C,F1) could become =NewFunction("Sum",A:A,B:B,E1,C:C,F1)

=Averageifs(A:A,B:B,E1,C:C,F1) could become =NewFunction("Average",A:A,B:B,E1,C:C,F1)

this would allow the creation of new IFS functionality like StddevIfs, VarPIfs, MedianIfs, ModeIfs, ProductIfs…

6 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Enable Merged Cell Sorting

For rows or columns that contain merged cells, all rows or columns associated with the merged cells should be treated and sorted as 1 row or column.

26 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Make SUMIFS syntax consistent with SUMIF, COUNTIF and COUNTIFS

All three functions, SUMIF, COUNTIF and COUNTIFS use a similar syntax:

=COUNTIF(range, criteria)
                                =COUNTIFS(criteria_range1, criteria1, criteria_range2, criteria2,…)
                                =SUMIF(range, citeria, sum_range)

i.e. first you specify the range, then the criteria, and for sumif, sum_range.

But SUMIFS uses the reverse order:
                                =SUMIFS(sum_range, criteria_range1, criteria1, criteria_range2, criteria2,…)

Firstly, it's a bit confusing. But more importantly, it's an annoyance when you realise that instead of using SUMIF you need to add another criterion - you basically have to re-write the whole function, changing the order of arguments. In case of COUNTIFS, it's just a matter of adding another criterion, which is so much easier.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Ctrl-tab to move between workbooks (reinstate previous versions feature)

IN older versions of Excel ctrl-tab used to cycle through open workbooks in a really straightforward sequential order.

In Excel 2016 (and 2013?) this very useful navigation shortcut (it all happens on the left hand only) has been replaced with a very frustrating sequence of:

Original wbook --> Other wbook 1 --> Original wbook --> Other wbook 2 --> Original wbook --> Other wbook 3 etc.

For users who are in multiple workbooks most of the time (most power users) this is incredibly frustrating.
                                  I understand Alt-tab switches between workbooks as each is their own instance, however this is not…

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Excel 2016 / 365 crashes on Exit when using a ActiveX control in the sheet

Under certain conditions Excel 2016 crashes on exit when an ActiveX control was used. Excel tries to recover data and restarts.

This problem seems to affect only Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016.
                                    Repairing office does not help. It also occurs on a new system with only Office installed.
                                    BTW Using Windows 10 Insider and/or newer Office versions (Current channel 1611 or even the insider version) have the same issue.

It's easy to recreate the problem:

Launch Excel
                                    Go directly to the Developer tab (if the delevoper tab is not activated yet, please activate, close Excel and start again, Opening…

2 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Box and Whisker- Apply Format, Change Mean Markers, Y-Axis Break, Custom X-Axis and more

I would like to create thesis level box and whisker plots. The ability to customize the box and whisker plots appear to be severely limited.
                                      1) Paste format and save template box and whisker plots
                                      2) Change mean markers from 'x' to '--------'
                                      3) Y-Axis break to show extreme values while still having resolution in majority of data
                                      4) Changing what the X axis displays
                                      5) Being able to move legend wherever it does not interfere with chart (not just pre chosen options)

6 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Multi-setting dropdown list

I would like to see a Smart Drop Down List (SDDL). Picture it being like a HLOOKUP function, except:
                                        1. column 1 is a selection of possible values that could be entered from in the drop down list.
                                        2. Column 2 is a corresponding variable to col. 1 value
                                        3. Column 3 is also selected based on col 1 value.

So in a modeling environment, rather than have to do a klugy separate sheet etc, I would have Smart Drop Down List
                                        The columns I could enter would be:
                                        User Choice Variable 1 Variable 2
                                        (example of entry)
                                        50% retrace…

3 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Conditional Format Cut and Paste

Change standard cut/copy and paste (ctrl + C; ctrl + X; ctrl + V) to not include conditional formatting and add right click option to include conditional formatting. When using standard cut & paste, CF is lost from original cells and pasted into new cells and the area of the CF rules gets messy fast or new rules are created. Similar issue with copy mode. You can paste values to get around, but what if you want other formats to be included in the paste. Removing CF for standard C/P would allow more control over CF rules. Two special paste…

3 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 85 86
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

How it works

• Create a user account if you want to add a new suggestion or vote on existing suggestions.
                                          • Select one of the feedback forums listed.
                                          • Check out the ideas others have suggested and vote on your favorites.
                                          • Be sure to search for your suggestion but if you can’t find something similar enough, you can submit your own.
                                          • Keep suggestions focused on a single idea per post and limited to 25 words or less.
                                          • When you post an idea to our forum, others will be able to subscribe to it and make comments.