Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. comparing sheets

I want the ability to compare the contents of two worksheets (either the same workbook or in different workbooks) to see it they are identical and, if not, where they differ from one another.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Let me open two copies of a workbook with the same name. PLEASE

Working on various different clients we often have standardised workbooks names. It would be very useful to be able to compare these quickly without having to save one of them locally under a different names.

Cheers microsoft

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Improve VBA protection

it is not a secret that the VBA protection password is very weak, it is very frustrating that I can't defend properly a sensitive code in the one of the biggest and popular software (Excel) in the world.
    improving VBA protection is a game changer for lots of people.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Find number values, regardless of formatting

When you try to find values which have been formatted as financial and you try to find a value withouth the ",", it fails. This may also be a bug because in Find options, the 'Look In' selection has an impact as to whether this works propoerly.

When you Look In Values, the "," is needed, but when you Look In Formulas, it succeeds. This appears to be incorrect.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow lookup functions to spill in two dimension

Currently Vlookup, Xlookup, Lookup and Index function is able to produce a spilled array only across one dimension (i.e. row or column).

So, if I give a formula like =Vlookup(J4#,Table1,{2,3},0), it spills only across rows and does not spill across column. This limitation exists with every other function in the lookup family.

If these functions can be made to spill across both the dimensions, we can completely avoid copy pasting in MS Excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Eliminate the new "Save your changes to this file?" dialog box

In the last week, whenever I close down a new Excel file without saving it, a new dialog box appears asking "Save changes to this file?". Whereas previously I could use keyboard shortcuts to immediately close down a file (Ctrl-F4, N), this no longer works. Instead, the new box interprets the "N" keypress as something to be entered into the "File Name" text field.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Power Query: Name new worksheet from "Load to…"

It should be possible to name the new worksheet from the "load to…" function in Power Query. Any table that is created inherits the name of the query that produced it, but the worksheet always receives a default "Sheet1". For my purposes, inheriting the query name would be sufficient. Others may wish to name it from within PQ.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. limit data validation dropdowns to unique values

Using a list as the source for an in-cell dropdown, the user should be able to decide whether this list should automatically be taylored to unique values or not (as ist is at the very moment).
    Not every data model is perfect, and sometimes values are redundant, but it still would be useful to use that input for "select from list".

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Clean the crud (esp. advertisements & foul language) from this suggestion list

Periodically, clean the crud (esp. advertisements & pointless rants written in foul language) from this suggestion list.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Dynamic Arrays, Spill range format

When a Spill range changes (eg due to the source data changing) it would be nice if any Formatting that is applied to the Spill Formula Cell is also applied to the entire Spill Range.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Immediately color-code cell references upon selection

When we edit a cell by double-clicking it or hitting F2, we get a very helpful color-coding of the cells it references. Why can't we just get this color-coding immediately upon selecting the cell? That way we could easily click or arrow-key through several cells and quickly see what they're referencing, rather than having to squint and find "Column G.... Row 11....., Column K .... Row 15....", etc.

See attached GIF animations demonstrating the current behavior versus what I'm proposing.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. LEAVE_THE_FUCKING_NUMLOCK_YOU_YOU_FUCKING_COCKSUCKERS.

LEAVETHEFUCKINGNUMLOCKYOUYOUFUCKING_COCKSUCKERS.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. "automatic except for data tables"

You should be able to save the Excel Options > Formulas > Calculation Options > Workbook Calculation setting permanently. No matter what workbook was opened first or last.

The problem is when you use data tables often (in my company's case they are in every spreadsheet for a specific department), across many different workbooks, it is annoying to have to constantly turn the setting to "Automatic Except for Data Tables" every time you open a file that didn't have this setting last. It slows the spreadsheet down considerably. I just want to turn it off and keep it off. No…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Make it easier to locate worksheets

Make the "Excel-activate box" adjustable in size and the font size + ''color-coding'' option for clarity of the project if possible.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Opening the main Excel window in a default size and position specified by the user

We like to open the main Excel window in the same position on our desktop each time. The only way we can do this is to assure that the last closed window was in the desired location when closed. This is because new windows open in the same size and position as the last closed window.

The problem arises when you open multiple worksheets, which automatically arrange themselves or are moved by the user to other temporary locations. Closing any of these windows last sets a new undesired default for the next session of Excel.

Another problem is that t…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Create a transparent text colour

So you can maintain formulas in cells you maybe don't want shown (onto power point for example) without having to colour the background and text the same colour.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. default margins, default page size, default header, default everything

it would be very good if you could copy and paste everything including: headers and footers, margins, page size, print areas I have set up a template and now want to make many more identical sheets but always have to adjust things

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Copy multi-line text from Excel and paste without quotes

Currently, when copying multi-line cells in Excel and pasting the text to a browser or Notepad, for example, quotation marks are added around the text. And I have to go and manually remove those quotes every time. With a tool like Excel, which has many cells, this can become very tedious and repetitive. I would really appreciate an option that we can tick or so, which allows us to copy the text, with the line breaks and all, but without the quotation marks around the text. Thank you.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. co-authoring track changes history

I love that using co-authoring you can manage how you share the excel file with your team wherein you can set a user as view only and the others will have the capability to edit. I however extremely need this TRACK CHANGES features 1.) alert notification real-time whenever there is change. This should have an on/off settings so you can turn this on if you want to monitor the progress real-time, 2.) you can check changes history who edit what and you can set the date so that you can select from the start and end date of the project.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Em uma tabela compartilhada quando aplico um filtro esse filtro é aplicado para todos usuários da tabela, isso é muito inconveniente

Em uma tabela compartilhada quando aplico um filtro esse filtro é aplicado para todos usuários da tabela, isso é muito inconveniente, pois atrapalha as outras pessoas que estão editando ao mesmo tempo.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base