Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Option to RE-FREEZE PANEs at Current Cell Location

I'd like to be able to RE-FREEZE PANES at the current cell location instead of having to UNFREEZE PANES and then having to FREEZE PANES again.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Rounding Error in Excel

You have a serious rounding error issue in excel that I confirmed with your help desk they could recreate.

Go into excel and type -3 in cell B2
    In B3 type the formula =B2+0.1
    Copy the formula down to cell B36
    Cell B32 should read 0 exactly but does not 1.53E-15
    I had this rounding error turn up when creating a more complex spreadsheet and could not understand why there is an error
    if you format the cells to 30 decimal places you will see that when 0.1 is added to -1.1 the answer returned is -0.999999999999998000000000000000
    not -1.0000000000000000000000000000

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please fix conditional formatting!!

I create Conditional Formatting on whole columns. I should be able to insert, delete, blank within my range without Conditional Formatting breaking up into formatted sections which eventually causes some rows not to format correctly. I am constantly correcting the Conditional Formatting which is very time-consuming! It is such a handy tool but very frustrating tool to work with.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Want to be able to activate the office license to guest user

Want to be able to activate the office license to guest user. Like Azure AD member.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow brackets in filename or path

When a person's display name contains a bracket character (such as a departmental suffix) this bracket is included in the folder name of a OneDrive shared folder. When a recipient of that OneDrive shared folder attempts to modify an Excel spreadsheet and save it back to the shared folder, they will see an error that the file could not be saved due to invalid characters in the filename or path. If Excel could support the bracket character in the filename or path this would no longer be an issue. (An alternative solution would be to allow admins an option to…

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow wildcards to be used with IF statements

I think the IF function should allow wildcards to be used. Take a look at the attached file. I'd rather write the below function than what I have show in the attached filed:

=IF(N2=2010??, "2010", IF(N2=2011??, "2011",...etc.)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Create new table without any formatting

When you create new table by default some formating and table stiles are applied. You have option to click "clear" in design tab. That command clears all formatting; color, background color, etc. But it does not change column width back. New column width stays.

I would like "clear" option to change column with back to the width before table formatting was applied. New column with, when create table is applied, can mess up your file when you import data from outer sources or when you need column with to be persistent.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Searchable dropdown list Auto Displaying Similar Items Names From a Range Provided

Kindly Find Attached 'Product Names List' Where In There Are Different List Of Items ,I Want Excel To Show Me A Dropdown List With Automatically View Item Name That Match The Words While Typing So Taht We Can Select With The Arrow Key And Press Enter To Work With Particular Item From List,

I Have Tried With Searchable Dropdown Down List But Its Not Giving Me A Eaxact Solution How I Want .

Suppouse I Start Typing In Cell, Name Of Item “ACID ____ ” Exel Should Show A Dropdownlist With All The Item Name That Match ACIDnock,ACIDout,ACIDout Lemon ,ACIDout…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Stop asking to save changes if nothing has changed

You open and Excel file and look at it for a moment then click Close. Excel pops up a dialog "Want to save your changes?". I didn't change anything! Please stop asking to save changes when nothing has changed. It confuses the user.

This is made worse if I've has that spreadsheet open for a long time and I don't remember if I changed it or not. Or worse, there may be other people working on the same file and if I say "Save", I overwrite their changes.

I heard that this has to do with Excel saving the current…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Excel is wrong in calculating -x^2

If you type in for example =-6^2, Excel gives you 36. This is incorrect. Excel is assuming you mean =(-6)^2. But -6^2 is different.

You can see this when you factorise. -6^2 = (-6)*(+6) = -36.

Whereas (-6)^2 = (-6)*(-6)=36.

Now if you type in = 0-6^2, only then does it give you the correct answer of -36.

This error goes against millennia of algebraic convention.

Plot the graph y=-x^2-7x-12 and then plot y=-7x-x^2-12. These two expressions are identical, yet Excel gives very different traces (the latter of the two gives the correct graph).

Another way to correct -x^2 would…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Change default fill color

Every time I open excel the default fill color is set to yellow. We should have the option to change the default fill color to another color.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Excel processor Bug - 99% usage

There is a bug with the processor usage, which extends up to 99% in some special situations.
    Since the latest version of the semi-annual channel, there is a new bug, which is also in the latest version of monthly channel.
    When you are opening a new excel sheet and copy one or more cells then you can start playing a little "processor-game". On the bottom there is a slide control, when you push it to the verry left (over the table sheets) the processor usage will grow up to 99%, when pushing it back to the right, the usage decreases.…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Shortcut for paste as values

90% of the time I want to past as values, so as to keep the formatting consistent in the location I am pasting. Rather than having to right click then select "paste as values" it would be good to have a shortcut to be able to do this instead.

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Merge cells optically, but not functionally.

Merging cells has the drawback, that it cuts the functionality of the excel file.
    So why not implementing a functionality, that merges cells ONLY OPTICALLY, so that the cells still keep their value and thus the full functionality, but that excel recognizes, when cells in rows that are directly located under the each other, contain the same values and thus just merges the cells optically, but does not merge the values, so that the user sees the merged cells on his monitor, and is able to print the table with merged cells, but still can e.g. sort the rows in…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Save as option when right click on the sheet tab

I want to be able to save a single sheet(or just selected sheets) to a new file - if I have many sheets I need to delete the ones I do not need after saving to a new file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Content Pane Remove Size Limit, Add Positioning, Resizing

There is a limitation to the width and height of a Content Pane at 1000 x 1000px. This limit is imposed when resizing via mouse in Excel Desktop and the JavaScript API. This (via mouse) is not true in Excel Online (or in PowerPoint) where the size can be set and saved to any size via mouse.

It would make the Content Pane consistent and open up a huge number of innovation opportunities to remove the current 1000 x 1000px limitation in the JavaScript API and Desktop Content Panes in Excel.

The ability to position and resize the Content Pane…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Better Support for Analysis Services Tabular

It's about time to improve support for SSAS Tabular:
    1. Auto-generate DAX
    2. Avoid splitting a table into a "measure group" and "dimension". See how PBI Desktop handles metadata.
    3. Carry over data types so that users can create reports, such as show me invoices where Due Date is greater than ... Currently, all dimension table fields map to Text.
    4. Many customers have expressed interest to connect Excel tables directly to Tabular, bypassing Pivot Table, so they can use the column dropdowns and other Excel goodness.
    5. Support descriptions as tooltips when the user hovers on a field in…

63 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. I need to open documents that have numbers starting with zeros without Excel dropping the zeros

open documents that have numbers starting with zeros without Excel dropping the zeros

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. MS Office 365 ProPlus, Excel / Access date recognition bug

MS Office 365 ProPlus, Excel Version 1808, Build 10730.20280

What I did:
    1. Copy column B to C
    2. Replace "2018" with "2019" in column C

What is the result:
    - German month names are recognized
    - English month names only recognized for Apr, Aug, Sep, Nov

What I would expect:
    - English month names are recognized as well

Same result within MS Access

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base