Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Error with scatter plot (aka data parsing)

Charting as a scatter plot.
    If I have a table exactly like this:
    x y
    1 2
    I expect to plot exactly one point at coordinate 1,2. Instead I get two points even though it's a scatter plot.

To get around this I have to make up additional points, and then erase them. I should not have to do this.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature request which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

2. Allow dynamic selection of data callouts/labels

I'd like to be able to say, for example, "show the label for the 2nd to last item in the series".

Many of the dashboards I see/create pull in data on refresh and this would allow one to create better visuals that require less futzing are refresh.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Interesting idea. Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this in our next round of planning for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

3. Macro Relative Reference Option More Visible

When recording a macro using the Use Relative References option, the change in the icon is too subtle to easily tell if the option is active or not. Instead of the very faint border around the icon, make it more evident when the option is active or inactive.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Why not have the slider appear at the top of the embeded form so that it's not necessary to scrol it up to start reading.

Why not have the slider appear at the top of the embeded form so that it's not necessary to scroll up to start reading.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Want the Pen (electronic stylus on Surface Pro 4) in Excel to be able to make an "X"

Want to be able to tap the face of the touch screen on the SP4 in any particular cell and to have that tap enter a programmable character, like an X into the tapped cell. This has huge applications for a variety of Excel templates for various inspection situations for inventories, and other applications where Users have developed Excel templates for use on MS tablets for field use where you don't really want to be typing and just want to input an X in a predetermined blank. But this means that both Excel and the electronic pen need to be…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. FIX: Changing formats for one data label/callout impacts other lables/callouts in the same series

As is (in Excel 2013), when you want to change a label, often times, you end up also resetting the other labels as well.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. "Comment" window double as container for Chart or visual data Analytics object

The cell 'comments' window should double as a container for 'simple? ' visual data analytics objects, charts, or BI visuals. For example if I had a column or row of numbers
    row 1 - 3, 5, 6, 7
    row 2 - 4, 6, 9,10
    I would like to click in an area in either of the last numbers of either ranged row of numbers and a pop-up visual chart view of the data would appear. Chart Labels could be created in the Data Validation window just as lists are made.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Interesting idea. Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature request which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

8. Custom Lists - list should be saved with file

when i create a custom list (from a range, for example), it is saved to my excel application, but the custom list does not go with the file, so another user does not have the same list, so cannot use it for sorting, etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Preserve text colour when using Find/Replace

Currently using Find/Replace on a cell containing more than one text colour results in all the text becoming the same colour. This is not a desirable default.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Copy Comments

Add that a Comments can be copied and passed in to cells. Not only the content of a comment, but the whole Comments

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Vertical text in the footer/header as in Word

Make it possible to add vertical text on the page margin in the footer/header. For example, to have the path and file name standing along the edge of the paper while printing.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Filter in the Data Table below a chart

Make it able to hide rows/columns with a filter option in the "Data Table" with chart data that can be added to a chart.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the further details. We’ll evaluate this for a future release. Please continue to vote on this idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

14. Allow pasting of criteria in auto filter

Currently, the ability to paste into auto filter with keystrokes is possible, but it would be a great time saver to be able to paste with a right click of the mouse.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Remove folder depth limitation when saving

Excel can open files from anywhere, but has an arbitrary limit on the folder depth/number of characters in path, forcing you to save to an intermediate temporary location.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Under format cells, for the 'text' category allow for a Rich-Text type

The Rich-Text type would allow the cell to have MS Word like features (cursor around within the cell, turn on bulleting, allow for hyperlinking a sub-section of text within the cell (instead of turning the entire cell into a hyperlink), etc.)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Mirroring Worksheets

Sometimes I want to present some information to a client, but not all. Linking doesn't always work due to the possibility of inserting new columns or rows into the data. I would like to clone a worksheet and designate the original as the master worksheet. In the clone, I'd like to change formatting, hide cells, or add information, while mirroring the master data so I can keep my master data and still generate reports for others from the clone.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. When altering a graph have an option to see the updated graph only after the settings window you had open is closed.

For example when adding multiple data series to a scatter plot the graph is updated after each series is added. It can take a long time to add a new series after a few have been added, when using large amounts of data points. I suggest something like what photoshop does which allows you to disable updates until the current settings window is closed.

I have found a work around. If you place the graph in excel so you can't see it and click "Format-select data" you can plot as many series as you like without lag since it is…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature request which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

19. Bulk selection from file directory to classify the document (excel , word,ppt , etc)

We have so many excel files to create and use every day but do not want to classify the file in bulk at directory. How can we do that ? Hence, we have our own Add-In icon to classify the file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Convert freeform shape to plot via x,y points

I would like to draw a freeform shape using the drawing tools, and then apply a tool or function that allows me to replicate the shape in an x-y plot. I found some VBA code online that lets me find the vertices of said shape, and I can plot those vertices in an x-y plot, but it comes out as some sort of weird approximation. It reminds me of when you use Google translate for a phrase into one language, and then you translate it back.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Cool idea. We will definitely consider it while planning our next round of features. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base