Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Implement the Stock Data feature from Excel 365 into Excel 2019 for Desktops

Basic stock information retrieval is a badly needed feature that should have been added to Excel years ago. A built-in feature would be preferable to hand-crafted solutions created by users or developers with varying skill levels.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. KEEP UNFOCUSED WORKBOOK ACTIVE CELLS HIGHLIGHTED

OPTION TO KEEP ACTIVE CELLS HIGHLIGHTED WHEN UNFOCUSED AND IN ANOTHER APPLICATION

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make the Evaluate Formula dialog box re-sizable

The evaluate formula box is unusable with large and/or CSE formulas. Please just make it re-sizeable. Thank you.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Offer an option to allow for different locale formatting in a single workbook

My Windows regional settings are FR-CA, so Excel, very smartly, formats numbers and dates accordingly. But, at times, I have to prepare and print reports with numbers and dates formatted according to US settings.
    That gets done on a cell by cell basis, by choosing the format I need among the many choices offered by Excel. And it works, but it's very tedious.
    I wish it were possible to associate specific regional settings with a sheet within a workbook, so that numbers copied from one sheet to another got formatted (and dated) according to the (different) settings set for that…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow temporarily broken formulas

I have a long list of formulas, and want to nest every formula within another if statement. Using find and replace to replace the beginning and end of every formula (the parts that don't differ between each one), this should be very easy. However, excel won't let me change a single one because, when I try to replace the text, "the formula is missing an opening or closing parenthesis."

I can appreciate having error checking for formulas, but there should be SOME way to either bypass this error checking or turn it off! This is frustrating me to no end.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Power Query Active Directory Feature

Hi All,

I tried to use Active directory feature of Power Query but still not able to find any solution in any forum to speed up the downloading data.

I have more than ~300,000 records to import (i.e. Distribution list contains each member list) from Active directory but it takes 12-~14 hrs to import using Power Query.

Can we look into this feature why there is so much time taken by Power Query and How we optimize the same ?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add cell reference to Data Validation Messages (Input Message, Error Alert)

Please add the ability to use cell references or formulas in the Data Validation Messages (Input Message, Error Alert).
    This would make possible to use variable contents.

Thanks,
    Fernando Fernandes

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Perform Calculations (Sum, Count, If, etc.) Based on Cell Color

Allow users to create formulas and that perform specified operations with data/values from only cells with a chosen background color, from a range of cells.

For example, in a range of 10 cells (A1:A10), only 3 cells have been colored yellow (either by the user or by a specified condition). A user can create a formula, such as =SUM or =COUNT or =AVERAGE, that will only use the cells colored yellow to determine the result. All other cells in the range, regardless of background color, will be excluded from the formula's result.

Alternatively, the same functionality can be achieved based…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bug: wrong data from OLAP source

Incorrect values of dimension in pivot table sourced on OLAP cube (Microsoft SSAS 11.0.5569.0). The latest version without that bug is 16.0.6001.1068. Obviously we don’t know exact source of this bug, but most of the issues we discovered were on complex pivot tables with many attributes, partially displayed dimension’s hierarchy and without subtotals. Example of this bug occurring is in attached file ExcelBug. There are 2 exactly the same pivot tables (the table on the right hand side is basically copy of the table on the left hand side). After removing “Grand Total” on the table on the right hand…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. other languges then english

I use hebrew as a second language. and when i try to auto fill, excel doesn't understand to auto fill hebrew alphabet, months, days of week etc. i guess that the same problem applies to users of other second languages.
    it would be a great idea for excel to improve that. especially for right to left languages where its very important
    thanks
    i hope you will improve it the fastest possible

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. upgrade vlookup() (and hlookup()) so that you can provide the column header text instead of column number. i.e. database search - dget()

Excel has the DGET() function that allows a database search. You give the name of the column it should find the match in, and the name of the column where the value should be returned to. If vlookup can be upgraded to be similar, then it will be much more powerful:

Example:
    newVlookup(value, data range, match column, return column, match type)

newVlookup(Sheet1!A1,Sheet2!A:E,"Order Number", "Order Description", false)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Fix the "There's a problem with the clipboard" issue

The issue with "There's a problem with the clipboard..." while copy and pasting is still as issue. I was using Office 2010 and there was no problem. I am now using Office 365 and this issue is prevalent. It manifests itself when pasting a value from a cell containing a formula and disappears when disabling Live Preview. I was able to copy and paste "normal" cell contents fine before the error message appears so the official response of "another program has locked the clipboard" doesn't really hold up. It looks more like Excel has locked the clipboard from itself.

There…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Stop formatting all numbers as dates, as users have been requesting since the 1990s

Automatic date formatting is not useful except for data entry, and it makes use of Excel for anything but the simplest processes a royal pain. Users have been requesting a way to switch this off for DECADES, but all they get in response is some unpaid "MVP" telling them how to use apostrophes.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Formula that lets you replicate the formatting of a reference cell

Excel should create a formula that would allow the user to specify a reference cell whose format you want to copy.

For example, I should be able to create a formula in cell A1 of Sheet 1 that refers to A1 of Sheet 2 such that Cell A1 of Sheet 1 will replicate the formatting of A1 on Sheet 2 [e.g. =Formatcopy(Sheet2!A1) or =Formatcopy(Sheet2!A1)*Shee2!A1] .

Alternatively, if you have a formula with multiple reference cells, it would be helpful to be able to specify a single reference cell whose formatting you would like to use. For example, if I have…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Please fix conditional formatting!!

I create Conditional Formatting on whole columns. I should be able to insert, delete, blank within my range without Conditional Formatting breaking up into formatted sections which eventually causes some rows not to format correctly. I am constantly correcting the Conditional Formatting which is very time-consuming! It is such a handy tool but very frustrating tool to work with.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow for a transparent Manual vs. Automatic Calculation setting by workbook vs. a global setting.

When you have one calculation-heavy workbook and distribute it to other people, it would be best if you could turn off calculation for only that workbook, without affecting the other workbooks these users are working on. It is confusing and outright dangerous in potential consequences that suddenly their workbooks do not calculate anymore. On the other hand, if the calculation is on, their whole excel freezes for a considerable amount of time every few keystrokes.

Suggestion: Allow for a transparent Manual vs. Automatic Calculation setting by workbook vs. a global setting.
    There should be a popup when you open the…

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add ppm cell formatting just like % cell formatting

Just like % cell formatting multiply 100 and add "%" at the end,

We need ppm cell formatting that multiply 1,000,000 and add "ppm" at the end

This is a highly required feature on fields such as Quality Control and Production Management.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Bring back multiple sheets in one excel instance. 2016 is brutal without it.

Bring back multiple sheets in one excel instance. 2016 is brutal without it.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Eliminate 2 step process to opening files

Eliminate 2 step process to opening files. file open should bring you directly to folder path without having to also press browse.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Protect the cell formatting property in the formula.

Which it has number in one of the cells in Excel, it has letter other of the cells in Excel. When I combine these two cells, I want to display the cell with the letter as a superscript in a single cell. I need this feature in the preparation of the table in the scientific article. However, there is no related menu in Excel. I expect you to help me with this.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base