Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Alt+ shortcuts are stuck/hanging in the ribbon and require a mouse click to continue. Have tried endless options to no avail.

All of my ALT+ shortcuts are not working properly. For example ALT+H+H+N to remove fill on a cell does the following: the execution is preformed, the fill is removed, but my selection remains on the home tab of the ribbon and does not allow me to continue navigating the sheet. This is true for all ALT+ shortcuts, and randomly started occurring today. I have tried repairing, reinstalling, restarting, etc. etc.etc.

I rely heavily on ALT shortcuts as Im not one to constantly click the ribbon tools.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable Excel to send a Task to Outlook

Some users use Excel for tracking of various tasks or operational reviews. At the end, follow-up minutes and tasks will have to be created. It would be great to have a function like in OneNote to create a Task in Outlook. Information about Due Date and Assignee should be embeddable into the cell with a little popup window.
    When in Outlook, you should be able to click the task and go back to the Excel document (and specific cell) stored on the SharePoint.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Highlite Active row for easier navigation on sheet....

I work with lots of lines and its tireing to try and track which row im on,
    Please try and Highlight the active row.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Text to Formula

A formula to convert text to a formula; which is essentially the exact opposite of the FORMULATEXT function, or in a way, what the INDIRECT function does with cell references but with formulas.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Intelligent options for data labels in charts

We need better options for formatting and positioning data labels in charts.

*better positioning options, including above left, below left, above right, below right, etc.

*ability to specify offset (distance from data point), both horizontal and vertical

*ability to nudge data labels with keyboard arrows

*better number formats (see https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/14817276-intelligent-number-formatting-in-chart-axes)

*ability to display label for min or max data point, for first data point, for last data point, for every other data point, etc.

*Tickbox option for all the data labels to match data color or some such (match the font of the data label to the line color,…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Power Query Time Stamp of last updated Data

Hi All,

I import data using Power Query from multiple resources and Lots of time I have seen in Power Query that even though we click on Refresh All still not all tables refreshes the data in Power Query Editor.

So I am looking for feature of option in Power Query that shows last data import date. So that user easily know if all the resources have been updated or not or when it last refreshed ?

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Turn OFF AutoSave feature permanently

I'm frequently using saved files as templates. With the new AutoSave function my old files get overwritten as soon as I start editing the file. I have to save the new one immediately with another name otherwise I'll loose the old one. This is annoying.
    Pleas allow to deactivate AutoSave function in the Option settings.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Make Custom Cell Formats Easier

Make it easier to create custom formats by eliminating the need for users to memorize all the different cryptic formatting characters.
    Perhaps a Help button, or a drop down selector for all the different format characters would be useful here.
    Meanwhile, here are two resources to help with custom formats
    https://exceljet.net/custom-number-formats
    https://customformats.com/

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Custom Format Cells - Add ability to Format Like Sample

In the year 2019 there MUST be a better way to create custom cell formats in Excel.
    Please add the ability to create a custom number format based on cell contents. The Sample shown could be used as the template source.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Single Page Zoom

When in Page Layout mode, have the option to zoom out on one page. Word has a "One Page" option in the zoom settings. Excel is default to "Multiple Pages" when zooming out and scrolling. Would be nice to see how the document will appear printed out.

See attached for what is available in Word.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Please Please Please Bring Back MDI. SDI simply doesn't support the types of applications I have spent my career developing in Excel

Please bring back MDI for Excel. SDI is really slow, and crashes when I run the apps I've developed over my career that rely on multiple workbooks loaded simultaneously. Or re release 2010 and just call it the version for the folks who rely on MDI and there are a lot of us!!!!!!

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Create a command line tool for signing Office files with a digital certificate

Besides Office, Excel files can be created using numerous software tools. More often than not, batches of macro-enabled Excel files are processed with scripts for productivity purposes. However, VBA code signing cannot be part of an automated process, as it is a manual task that requires opening & saving the file in Excel.

This request is about creating a command line tool for signing Office files with a digital certificate, similar to MS SignTool.

In addition, the existing macro signing process in Office is not 100% compatible with Open XML specifications. I can clarify this statement in a private discussion…

81 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Retain text formatting after changing formula references inside shapes/textboxes

This has been a bug (in my mind) forever. For some reason, if you have an Excel shape nicely formatted and you go to link it to a cell to make the text dynamic, all the text formatting gets reset. This is really extremely annoying if you are creating a visually stimulating dashboard and want to duplicate a bunch of perfectly formatted shapes. Proceeding to link the shapes to various cells so that they display your data completely resets the formatting.

I created a VBA workaround to make it seem like the text format is retained, but this functionality should…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. select date for open/close stock

You should be able to pick dates when selecting stock info.

E.g set the date as 06/11/2019 to get XNAS:MSFT open price on that day.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Setting proper width when inserting Table Column

When inserting Table Columns adjust the columns to match the width where the data came from. Make it work like it does when inserting column on spreadsheet.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Select Pivot Table by name

I would like to have the possibility to select a PivotTable by name.

In a PivotTable chart, the source tells you what is the PivotTable name but then, you have so select all your PivotTables one by one to find the correct PivotTable.
    So if you can add a tool that is able to select a PivotTable by name, it will save a lot of time.

Thanks

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Protecting Sheets / Workbooks with Password - can't see password

When protecting sheets / worksheets with a password, there is no "eye" icon to display the password so you can verify that you've typed it in correctly. It would be great to have this function to help reduce errors and reduce the risk of locking yourself out of a file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Freezing Property for Graphs, Shapes, Linked Pictures/Objects

It will be good to have Freezing Option under Properties for Graphs, Shapes, Linked Pictures/Objects etc. where a user can have an option to lock the objects on screen... and the same should be appearing as constant even if the user scrolls to the left-right & up-down.

This will give End-user a dynamic webpage view/feel especially for huge excel dashboards with specific KPI - graphs and charts appearing on top or on either sides

Like: Don't Move or Size or Scroll with the Cells

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Gridlines make them visible in a block of filled color cells

Gridlines, when you fill color a block of cells the gridlines are no longer visible to see each cell when working in the sheet. Would be nice to turn this on and off.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base