Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. set viewable region

Allow the embedded link to see the size of the data set and limit the viewable area to this size only. This way when the excel spreadsheet is viewed it has a clear end to the cells with data in them.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable cloud based computations by supporting large Excel files

I should be able to upload a spreadsheet to Excel Online and have the ability to process the calculations in the cloud, since they are too resource intensive for one computer (with 16Gb memory and a fast processor). I have some large spreadsheets that are very slow to calculate and open. I've read about Excel's CPC cluster processing but that would take a lot of time and resources to implement, plus the formulas would probably change.

Excel Online doesn't support files over 10mb right now. I would also like to be able to have multiple spreadsheets controlling each other from…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. IRM options should be enlarged its scope

I was looking for something that user get to know about document rights management like allowing watermark,IP and Confidential text in all format, and as far as I know, there is no property for the same, I think it should be there for DRM/IRM.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add "insert.." , "delete" , and "clear contents" to right click options in onlne version.

If I want to add rows to only a few columns in the middle of a sheet I have to switch to full version of Excel. I do this very frequently, so I miss this feature. As for clear contents, I can't highlight multiple cells and delete all at once. In full Excel I can do that with right-click and :delete contents." I would rather just be able to highlight all cells and hit "delete" have all deleted.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Lock a shared (or concurrently editable) spreadsheet in a clear, public way

I have a spreadsheet shared via a public group in Office 365's Groups system. Users may concurrently edit the spreadsheet as long as people edit via the browser--when the download the sheet, the online version gets screwed up once that user uploads their finished work. There should be a broad, clear way to publicly lock the sheet with color/message.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Access On-Premise cube from Excel Online

We are interested in creating Analytical reports (pivot tables with slicers) with Excel and host in Excel Online against our On-Premise MOLAP and/or Tabular Analysis Services cubes. Looks like to do this with Excel Online, a powerpivot model would need to be in the Excel Workbook. We'd like to create several Analytical reports against the same cube On-Premise (or access a common Power BI dataset).

Today we have Analysis services MOLAP and Tabular models hooked to Analytical reports hosted in Sharepoint 2013 On-Premise. Users can slicer/dice and drilldown.

We are looking for this same functionality in Excel Online. Many of…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. print friendly for Excel on the webpage

I would like to suggest the print friendly for Excel on the webpage after publishing the worksheet such as Blogspot.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Formatting data - Time delay

When any formatting operation such as Middle align, Wrap text etc. is done, considerable amount of time is taken by the client to perform those changes. But, no 'Loading' message is displayed. The screen looks freezed for some amount of time. Can you please consider this comment and perform the essential changes?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Open a copy of a locked file

When I try to open a file that another user is accessing in desktop Excel, I get an error because the file is locked. If real-time coauthoring isn't supported on the desktop, it would be great of Excel Online would give me the option to open and edit a copy of the original so that the files could be combined later.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. It would be nice to be able to see the file name on the frontpage of Excel Online.

It would be nice to be able to see the file name on the frontpage of Excel Online.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. When deleting a sheet, please indicate how much data or completed cells it has.

There's a stock popup right now that warns a tab may or may not have data. A counter of data (bytes) or cells with data would be neat for powerusers or for collaboration teams that move through a high number of tabs.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Cell Count Information

Please add the information readily available; on the desktop version, when you filter or select a number of cells or columns, Excel tells you at the bottom how many cells there are available and you do not have to select manually to find this information. In this current version online, it appears you have to manually select to see how many columns you have available after filtering. If I have one that filters to a few hundreds...that's still a LOT of work to do to select all the cells before you are given a count. Please add this functionality to…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. integrate a notebook to Excel to store things to do

Add a note book to each Excel Workbook to store e.g. a to do list

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Disable subscription validation when using Excel off line. It was validated when I installed it and I should be able to use it off line.

Disable subscription validation when using Excel off line. It was validated when I installed it and I should be able to use it off line with all features activated. When I try to use it off line, I get a message that the subscription could not be validated, so most features will not work.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. locking records not spreadsheet

so more than one person can edit the spreadsheet

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Make Sharepoint Filenames in URL the same as the path!

There is a an obvious way to link to files on sharepoint. https:/.company.sharepoint.com/SITE/Folder1/Folder2/Filename
    where an special characters are replaced. Instead the sharepoint URL's are crazy long and complicated.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base