Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Sharepoint File Ownership

As the owner of the file that is protected there are times I need to edit the document however folks have it opened in sharepoint and walk away. I'd like the ability as the owner to kick them out so that edits can be made. When they return they can re-open the updated document.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Office Addin Excel API JS - Insert Images programatically

Hi,

I am trying to add image in excel worksheet using JS api for office Addins.

I came across this thread where users were asking to have option to support images insertion in office excel online.

Now that it is possible to insert images in excel online from UI, do we have anything planned in office JS for addin in future releases to support inserting image to worksheet in excel online programatically?

I didn't come across any documentation for achieving this functionality in

https://dev.office.com/reference/add-ins/excel/excel-add-ins-reference-overview

Please advice.

Thanks in advance!

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros, Scripts and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Pls add TRACK CHANGES capabilities for us to track who changed what (specifically not by versions), in excel online or browser mode.

Pls add TRACK CHANGES capabilities for us to track who changed what (specifically not by versions), in excel online or browser mode.

1,003 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

243 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Files are Checked Out - But Excel Online does not tell who checked it out.

If a file in Excel Online is checked out, it would be helpful to for it to say who has the file checked out.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Auto Saving Notification

While using Excel online, the changes are saved automatically. Show it somewhere like a notification/confirmation that the changes are saved.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. searching sheets

When working in Excel online on ONEDRIVE, to search do the following:

Make a Search Sheet to help you quickly move to a particular sheet.
    Right click on the tab you've name Search Sheet.
    Choose reorder.
    Move to before the sheet you are searching for, clicking OK.
    Choose your sheet.
    After you've finished searching, move Search Sheet back to before 1st named sheet so you know it's there for next time.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. When a document is locked (being edited by you or someone else) it would be helpful to know the machine name that where the file is opened.

Someone else has workbook locked

Unfortunately, the workbook needs to be closed or checked in before you can edit it. If everyone uses Excel Online, you can work on it at the same time.

(I know there are opened ideas to show the user who has it opened; however, it would also be great to show the machine name that has it opened as currently, it states that I am editing the file and I don't know what machine it is opened from.)

63 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Basic Functions

The inability to select a group of cells, press ctrl, and select another group of cells is detrimental to the online version of Excel. Being user-friendly is the #1 goal!

Additionally, in the desktop version of Excel, the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl+;" inputs today's date. Making such functions available in the online version would be useful.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Excel Online should make it possible to view excel sheet protected with password

Excel Online should make it possible to view excel sheet protected with password without using excel.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. No preview for print

When we give a print command no preview is available for what we are printing but the same feature is available in google sheets. So it should be developed.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Survey replies time

Dear team!

Can I have an option to see at what time the reply was received. This is because I am receiving revised replies from my audience and after sorting data, I will not be able to see which reply was latest.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Surveys  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Be able to mention @ people

It'd be great to follow Google idea and allow to mention people that have access to the document simply by adding @name .

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. If file is locked and uneditable - tell me who, so I can contact them. It doesn't say so - and if it does, I cannot find it

If file is locked and uneditable - tell me who, so I can contact them. It doesn't say so - and if it does, I cannot find it

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Online support

Dear customer service officer,

I hope that is an online support that we can communicate with an officer whenever we encounter any issue.

Thank you

Best Regards
    Lynn

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Re-open Pivot Tables!

So sometimes people misclick and accidnetally close and lock pivot tables, and after that point they are completely useless for adding new information into. There should really be a way to reopen them as this is currently causing an information entry issue at my work.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. unsupported features in Office 365

If there are unsupported features when opening an Excel workbook for edit in Office 365, then please inform me what these features are and where to find these in the workbook, instead of 'To edit this in your browser, we will create a copy that doesn't include unsupported features.'
    For instance I get specific information when saving an Office 97 version after editing in Office 2013.
    This helps me to decide what to do: accept (e.g. is only a presentation issue) or somehow make it impossible to edit via Online (e.g. VBA code will get crippled).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. RUNNING TOTALS

Extremely useful. I add and use Running Totals virtually ALL the time.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add Chat Minimize when in snapped window

Setup:
    Windows 10, Chrome browser.

When I have a window snapped to the left or right of the monitor the Chat option is available, but I am unable to minimize the chat window without first going full screen. When the chat window is open it covers the toolbar.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base