Feedback by UserVoice

Excel Online

Welcome to the Excel Online feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Can't open online and while can't be sorted in desktop version why are you making this hard for us?

Why can't we open this online? I tried desktop but I can't even sort which is needed for lots of records like this file, why are you making this hard for us? You should've given us a booklet for this in the first place which we can bring wherever we go.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Needs to have better version control for when someone is working in excel, and posts to the online version.

Needs to be reliable on version control, otherwise google sheets is superior.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. If the file exceeds 30mb instead of letting me do nothing let me download it

If the file exceeds 30mb instead of letting me do nothing let me download it

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Sharepoint File Ownership

As the owner of the file that is protected there are times I need to edit the document however folks have it opened in sharepoint and walk away. I'd like the ability as the owner to kick them out so that edits can be made. When they return they can re-open the updated document.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Custom Excel templates for Group or global use in Excel Online/SharePoint

Would like to enhance Excel templates in the ONLINE version - such that files can be saved-as templates, xltx files can be opened in the online version and then saved by users as a new file (like the desktop version) also be able to display Group shared templates so that everyone in the group or organization has direct access to company designed templates

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. unsupported features in Office 365

If there are unsupported features when opening an Excel workbook for edit in Office 365, then please inform me what these features are and where to find these in the workbook, instead of 'To edit this in your browser, we will create a copy that doesn't include unsupported features.'
    For instance I get specific information when saving an Office 97 version after editing in Office 2013.
    This helps me to decide what to do: accept (e.g. is only a presentation issue) or somehow make it impossible to edit via Online (e.g. VBA code will get crippled).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Let me open shared file in local Excel 2016

Trying to open a shared file with Workbook Sharing activated - can't open because Workbook Sharing isn't supported in Excel online. Give me an option to open in local Excel 2016 license, or to sync the file to my local drive so I can open in local Excel license.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. I have a password encrypted excel file. It would be nice to be able to open those files via excel online

I have a password encrypted excel file. It would be nice to be able to open those files via excel online

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Change the error message top phrase when a user clicks on an Excel file check out by someone else

Change the top phrase of the error message when a user clicks on an Excel file check out by someone else.
    Currently phrase - SOMEONE ELSE HAS THIS WORKBOOK LOCKED.
    Suggested phrase - THIS FILE IS CHECKED OUT BY (ADD USERNAME HERE)
    Why? IMHO this is a better description of what actually is going on.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Ask for the password when a file is password protected.

When trying to open an attachment that is password protected, ask for the password Instead of displaying an error dialogue box.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. save to desktop w/ current info

To save and add excel to desktop in the most current update and changes. Doesn't do us any good to save to desktop and it not being the most current data from doctors.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Excel files to PDF's sharing

It would be great if we can share/send excel file's as PDF's with our colleagues.

Also, it would be wonderful if I was able to save a file right on to my computer. The tab is there, but it doesn't work for some reason... "save file on to computer"

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Excel files to PDF's sharing

It would be great if we can share/send excel file's as PDF's with our colleagues.

Also, it would be wonderful if I was able to save a file right on to my computer. The tab is there, but it doesn't work for some reason... "save file on to computer"

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. When will the ability to open password protected spreadsheets be available for Excel Online?

We need the ability to open password protected spreadsheets with excel online.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Reading password protected files in online browser

When a user wants to view a password protected file (i.e. Excel file) in the browser they receive a message that asks if they want to "Edit in the browser?". With 2 options "Edit a Copy" or "Cancel". I have had a number of users who are confused by the "cancel" option. If that said "open read only view" that would be clearer. Instead users are creating editable copies in the same folder just to read the document

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Remove the Download Option

While customizing the embed option: though I unmark the "Include a download link" option, people can still download the file by clicking on the "View Full-Size Workbook".

Isn't these two options are contradictory to each other when the user doesn't want to let other download the file?

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. internal limit is preventing the opening of a file,

suggest a contact who can help evaluate/change that limit

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Hide or disable the "Edit in Excel" option when users read or open a document from a SharePoint library in Excel Online

Useers who have ReadOnly permission for a SharePoint Library see the "Edit in Excel" option displayed to them. This will fail when they click since they do not have permission.
    reported by a customer on the SPYam Yammer network
    https://www.yammer.com/spyam/#/threads/show?threadId=791261832

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add ability to notify user who is blocking access that other's need access

When opening a sheet and discovering that the sheet is locked because someone is accessing the sheet with Excel, we should have a button that will notify the user that I am requesting access.

This would encourage a discussion between the Excel and Excel Online user.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Ability to open Excel Online in Edit mode by default or link to edit mode

Currently I need to click Open on Excel Online or Open Excel if I want to edit a workbook. If I have edit permissions, it should open in edit mode by default on Excel Online. At the very least we should be able to add a URL argument to allow it

442 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

153 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Accepting Votes  ·  Tamar Tzruya responded

Thanks for your feedback! We’re reviewing your suggestion. I would like to clarify: If sharing through SP the URL parameters are hashed. When a user edit an Excel file and copy the URL for sharing over email the user can choose to change the action to edit.
    Remember, the more votes a suggestion gets, the more likely it is that we’ll do it.

Tamar [MSFT]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base