Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Increase Excel Online file size limit beyond 5MB

Pls make Excel Online to be able to allow files editing beyond 5MB size. Currently it does not allow any file to be edited if it is more than 5MB. This size needs to be increased to atleast 50MB

95 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

10 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Filtering whilst in a shared workbook should not affect all users , each user should be able to manage their own view of the data

Filtering should not affect all users in a shared workbook, each user should be able to manage their own view of the data independently

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Filter Views (collaborative work), zoom and freeze panes

Hi,
    As much as I love using Excel Desktop version, online version is not that easy to use.
    Few ideas (for on-line I prefer using google only because it have features very easy to use):
    1. Filter Views - addressing the need of multiple people working in the same time, in the same spreadsheet but each on it's own view without bothering other folks

2. Freeze panes - would be easier just to "drag" a line (as is with Google) and freeze whatever rows, columns etc.

3. Rearrange the order of the column and rows - again referring to Google…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. How to test compatibility with Excel Online?

I'm getting the "Unsupported Features There are some features in your workbook that we can't show in the browser" message suddenly when trying to open our file in Excel Online.... Nobody has added any of those features to the file, and I can't seem to figure out how to check any of those compatibility issues :( Our whole project is locked up until we can solve this... Please advise ASAP

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Show who is editing the Excel spreadsheet on Sharepoint so that I can track that person down so that I can edit the doc.

Currently, when I try to edit an Excel spreadsheet online (shared with other users), I can't edit it because somebody else is using it. However, I have no idea who that person in the office is. It would be great if Sharepoint stated who the user is so that I go and talk to them to resolve the issue.

In the interim, I guess I'll just use Google docs wherever possible.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Excel Online - Filters and capacity

Excel online doesn't allow users to filter without filtering the document for all rest of users. This is a key feature for shared documents so every user can filter and modify only the desire information without having to scroll or search.
    Also Excel online currently doesn't handle medium/big files. Files with 2.700 KB take long time to open and don't work well.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Freezing should not be restricted to single row or columns. user can select as many as they can depending on thier choice of requirement

Freezing should not be restricted to single row or columns. user can select as many as they can depending on thier choice of requirement

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. More details in notification emails

In addition to user name, it would be helpful if notification emails included the specific changes that were made to a file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Option to hide the Toolsbar in Excel Online while screenshare.

Please add an Option to hide the Toolsbar in Excel Online while screenshare session. The content is really very small during the screenshare where the toolsbar occupies most of the screen.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. View history and changes done by others.

It would be nice to be able to see who has changed what in an Office 365 excel document (etc). Also it should be possible to save certain versions so you easily can go back to that version later. Google Drive has these features. (NB! This is not the same as the "track changes" function)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Excel - "tagging" comments to specific users

We would like to have a feature to add a comment to a cell in Excel but to assign it or tag it to a specific other user. That they would receive a notification or draw their attention to that specific cell/comment and what action or input is needed from that specific user. Then they could reply to the comment or resolve it.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Import Excel table as an image to documents and presentations

Make sure that when you want to copy an area of an Excel file, you can paste it into i.e. PowerPoint as an image. Currently, it only works from the desktop app of Excel, making the process longer, when starting with a shared file via SharePoint, or through other online Excel apps.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Create an "Edit Only" share feature separate from "Edit and Share" or "Admin" share role

The way it is set up now, when you give someone edit access, they can then share the spreadsheet with others as if they are the admin. There should be more sharing access right roles like google. Edit Only should not allow someone share with other, but you should be able to create a spreadsheet or document that you can give someone Edit and Share right to or Admin rights to. Then those admins should be able to add people but they should never be able to delete the owner off. The owner should have right to reassign ownership of…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Reference another Spreadsheet

Simple function to reference cells from another workbook. Essential for team collaboration to work efficiently. You can do it in Excel offline and with Google Sheets!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Have a column to auto-populate "last modified" date for a row

We don't always have all our data upfront and have to fill in the missing pieces over time. There are several people making changes but we don't know when or what. A column could have a "last modified" auto-populated when any change to a row is made, then we'd know which row to gather info from.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add Owner for specific file

Its better to have an option to add an owner for a specific file. Because if the main owner is not online, the other people has the link, cannot open the file to modify it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. When collaborating, to give the option for the system to open a shared link either using it online or on the PC. All features not online

When sharing links to collaborate, to give the option for the system to open a shared link either using your PC or online, just because all features do not work online. Right now when you click on a link, it automatically opens the file it the online version.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Linking documents in SharePoint

When linking documents in a group that I am a member and that is synced to my file explore the link address shows my username inside of the link and starts with (C: vs 'https://trueaerollc.sharepoint.com/...). It would be good to have it link to the actual documents that are saved in SharePoint so the link is universal and not governed in any way by me and my computer.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. we need to be able to record withdrawn students to provide clear data in student progress report

student reports to reflect withdrawals and possible follow of reason why withdrawal occurred

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. I split data sorted by a column to divide for analysis by several, ea w/ many rows. To rejoin, I need to paste at row x, not at top. How?

I split data sorted by a column to divide for analysis by several, ea w/ many rows. To rejoin, I need to paste at row x, not at top. How? I get an error pasting not at the top-left corner. Seems... troublesome.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base