Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Allow for personal user views/filters

When using Excel Online, if you add a filter, everyone using that spreadsheet in Excel Online will see that filter. Can you please add an option for only the one user to see that filter?

1,823 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joseph shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

433 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Pavlo Burchenko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is crucial for collaboration in real-world scenarios which go beyond high-school homework. This must be top-prioritized and implemented ASAP.
    Instead, we got Bing search in the recent office update... Awesome and... useless.

• Roy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

(Sigh)

And after patiently waiting a while, if they don't ever do it and push us toward the vast subscription revenue I believe they feel is much preferrable, vis-a-vis PowerApps, well, I'm not averse to taking the plunge and changing to Sheets.

My only fear there is Google has a LONG history now of just out of the blue announcing a product used by millions is... done, finished, kaput, and will no longer be available. Just a fear, but they seemingly have NO hesitancy about such things.

The practical difference with Google's product is that it was written much later than Excel's base can of worms.

10 years ago, collaborative/team use of a single spreadsheet and collaborative use of things in general was would have been a have-to-have-it thing to build in from scratch along with general approaches that let one extend the ideas.

Excel's base level programming was written when the idea of general interactivity even of programs on your own computer (your OWN computer!!) was so porrly supported that Excel and Word had their own programming for copy/cut/paste (Remember the "Spike"? Word still has it.) and drag-and-drop (different from copy/cut/paste in Office programs than most others) because their owner's own operating system was unreliable in the little support it provided for them. Writing collaboration and interactivity into that mess has to be harder than for Google and Sheets.

There's no value judgment there, it's just something that is. So this kind of thing is natural in Sheets and has an easy time being added to or extended, but is a hard row to hoe for Excel.

My hope is that Excel is, maybe, trying to re-write the base some, and give itself the basics for moving forward and that things like this will start to be achieved faster and better.

You know, instead of messages like Admin's last becoming 4 YEARS rather than 4 MONTHS old and still nothing new. Like a variety of other Suggestions on the site (single file Undo stacks, for example).

Less constructively, I have to wonder what "dogfooding" means. Gotta say it sounds a tad insulting, but maybe it wasn't. Curiously, I was recently charged with being a Mac fanboy, though I've never knowingly seen a Mac outside movie product placement. This has the same feel, and the same value, if so. Read some other commentary, you'll see I'm no fan of what I think they actually want us to migrate to.

But since I think providing this is probably REALLY HARD considering the gallon of water they have to bolt it onto, (Vs. much easier for a modern program, so sure, why wouldn't Sheets have it? It'd be almost criminal if Sheets didn't.) I feel my dinging must be saved for other deep problems Excel has: Willing to take a patient personal user view, for a while. On this one.

• CologneClaret commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I escalated this (again) through MS Premium Support last week and was informed that this is in development. I have strongly suggested that Microsoft provide regular updates.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Roy pegged it. It's not a priority. It's not going to happen.

Don't waste your valuable time.

• Brian Le Flem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been in development since February, and here we are 4 months later, and there's still no sign of this? Can we get an update for when this will actually be live? Will it be 2019?

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Roy, being a member of the Office development team and undoubtedly a person dogfooding Excel this should be a constant embarrassment as it renders the sharing functionality almost unusable in real-world scenarios. You'd think anyone developing and supporting the product would have this way up their list of priorities.

• Carlos Botero commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Roy, if this was a completely new feature in the industry, I would share your argument. But as I had stated before, this feature was already available in Google Spreadsheets since 2010... it is not justified that having such a clear benchmark from their main competitor, Microsoft hadn't considered this a long time ago...

• Rob Wickham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Roy, I believe there are too many multi-user / concurrency features in Excel already for the argument about strategy to be the cause. It does seem an indirect choice was made in how complete and how quickly they embrace multi-user though. I'd only ask for the product team to offer a status on a more frequent basis to help reduce speculation. And props for your Greek mythology reference!

I'll ding them for a lot of things, but I don't think a choice was made, not a direct one anyway.

Excel is clearly done from its historical source of being meant for a sole user at a time. Never upgraded to be, at its core, a multi-user program.

This feels like one of those things where the feature is added, and configured for programming, with that background in mind: never intended to be successful at handling multiple users working on the same file, at the same time.

Oh, great if that works out when it comes along, but not even thought about when done, and not part of any planning.

Now there are environments in common usage that are meant to allow exactly that, simultaneous usage of a spreadsheet. Sharepoint for instance.

And hence the Scylla and Charybdis of the situation: Does one fix Excel so it can move forward as a multi-simultaneous-user program, a very nice "future-proofing" of a well-selling product? Or does one make changes in products like SharePoint to handle this, which has the advantage of not having to dive into the worms under Excel's hood as well as marketing advantages for direct competitors of SharePoint (though not indirect ones like Google who build into their spreadsheets)?

Or a mixed bag? (I wager that would cross bureaucratic boundaries that just don't cross successfully...)

THAT complexity: WHERE to solve it, I think that's the hold-up. The work they say has started, that would have been lay-out work, so to speak, where and what, not programming, etc.

Given my belief, detailed elsewhere, they want to push users who do these kinds of things into the much more lucrative world of PowerApps, I think the push from the Excel side is do nothing to Excel, doing instead just what SharePoint would need to work with the likely scenarios available through PowerApps, and let the money roll in. SharePoint people would seem likelier to push for a bigger adjustment to their baby, solving the problem and keeping their product hot and ****. Their advantage in the argument would be their offering can tap a user base that needs to connect a lot more than PowerApps does, and simply, sort of. Once that argument is settled, if it exists at all, maybe we will get some progress on this and a variety of related multi-simultaneous-user issues one can find just in here, let alone on the rest of the internet.

Perhaps we ARE seeing some early steps. All of this would work nicely, it seems, if Excel could know what to treat as a database and what to treat as wild, crazy, not-database material. It could then store the database material in a separate file in its collection that is presented to us as a single file, and use age-old database tools for record-locking and presentation (personal views/filters, and other kinds of filtering that are currently done haltingly at best). Doing so would allow exactly what people need here and a few other places on this site.

Tables, formal Tables, like we now have, vs. the more "normal" data ranges that often aren't even Named Ranges MIGHT be an early step toward that. If a Table is defined, it can be safely treated, "under the hood", by Excel as an actual database and the things talked about in here can be handled like databases have since 1960. All hidden from us, but easily granting the needed functionality and also being easy to add to or modify for new needs or to re-choose when a poor choice was made originally.

Maybe. It would be a nice early step, if step it is, and would offer tremendous hope for things to begin to roll out as if Excel were having a "little red sportscar second childhood."

• nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe how stupid this is, so i've had to send this twice.

• nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a serious lack of judgement. Who on earth would want the default to be this?! We have multi-site offices and when one person adds a filter, to affect everyone working on the document is absolute nonsense! Sort this out!

• Michael Lewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously guys, the absence of this is an embarrassment. Filters are immensely useful for working with lists of things - one of the most basic uses of Excel.
    But without personal "Filter Views" live collaboration is basically unusable since rows keep disappearing on you when someone else applies a filter.
    If you care about collaboration then this should be a priority feature.

• Carlos Botero commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Messages from the Product owner since 2015:

- 2015: "...We're planning to build it"
    - Jan 2018: "...We are reviewing this request"
    - Sep 2018: "...This work has now been planned"
    - Feb 2019: "... Work for this feature has started"

At this pace, this feature will be ready in 2021... (Google Spreadsheets has this feature since 2010... it's called "Filter View")

• Patrick Timmerman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At this moment i have two projects that cannont be implemented because of this issue. There is a no-go at this moment.

Please Microsoft let us know the status

• Kjetil Engen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It might be time for Microsoft to acknowledge that this is an extremely valuable feature for alot of people and share the progress. Any news is better than no news. If you haven't done anything with it and we have to wait 3 years it's better to know than think it might come in the near future.

I normally never "shout" when i write, but...

MICROSOFT! – LET US KNOW YOUR PLANS AND PROGRESS!!! NOW!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any more information about this?
    Like time when it might show on the roadmap or when they might have an idea of completion?
    Any way to track this at all?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22

Feedback and Knowledge Base