Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Allow for personal user views/filters

When using Excel Online, if you add a filter, everyone using that spreadsheet in Excel Online will see that filter. Can you please add an option for only the one user to see that filter?

1,485 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joseph shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

370 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nicolas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just started a new job. They are using Sharepoint since a little while now and I seem to be the first one to flag this problem. It really seemed like a fairly basic feature in order to work collaboratively on a spreadsheet, but no.

Please get this online as soon as possible.

• nic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear All, I see we are many facing this issue, so I'll share with you how we manage on our side, without filter.
        We have a workbook, container 4 worksheets, including one with more than 2k rows, and about 60 columns.
        We are around 10 people using silmutaneously the file, and probably more in the future.
        We clearly explained to everyone not to use filter, and instead use the CTRL + F shortcut, to find a specific value, or reference. Just note that if you are looking for a value as a result from a formula, you need to change the setting to "value".
        Hope that'll help ya all

• Paul Kanterman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Per-Erik, thanks for the suggestion about Google Sheets. I"ll take a look at this today.

That sad, I can't believe, that I need to resort to using Google Sheets, rather than Excel.

• Pär-Erik Svanerud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For anyone who finds this function crusial I can just recommend you to concider using google sheets where this funktion has been working for years. It all depends on your needs since google sheets is not as advanced as Excel but you can still do a lot with it and sharing a spreadsheet where everyone has their own filter works just fine.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How such a big company as Microsoft can let us without any news on this topic ! It's critical for every organisation who want's to deployed sharing spreadsheets, and it's just so a simple request in today's world of datas and cloud.
        For me, it's a loser attitude, and lack of respect for hundreads (at least) of users and fees contributors.
        Waiting for urgent udpate on delivering a working solution.
        Regards.

• Roy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, they reallllly don't want you adopting Office 365 so much, since they figure you almost have to have it anyway for Outlook and Word.

They want you solving the problems mentioned below with PowerApps. A new subscription for the author and then enough subscriptions to make good and sure you never run out for the material's users.

So... one spreadsheet author and seven users? They gain NOTHING since you have an Office subscription for Outlook and Word regardless. PowerApp because Excel is too crippled to handle it? That's eight new subscriptions, every month, until infinity.

A second spreadsheet? 12 users? Free, so to speak if Excel can do it, and it's functional in the work environment. But... it can't. It can't make you happy. So 13 more (that's right, those other PowerApp subs were NOT for any use of any PowerApp, they were for that single, sole, solitary application and nothing else. This is 13 NEW subs to pay every month.

You have 17 of these multi-user spreadsheets and only going to PowerApps will fix your difficulties... gosh... a shame that. Hmm... say an author and seven users each, that's 126 new $8 or so subs a month, year after year... $1,000 a month in new revenue...

Of course, it doesn't occur to them one might actually bite that bullet and buy some actual programming to solve a few of these, whether little apps written for you by someone local or off the shelf solutions.

And by-the-by,how long until a programmer's price doesn't start at $100 an hour for a simple page on a website but at least ends when it's done? How long until MS's model here encourages programmers to "own" you forever? $100+ an hour for simple things still, but now they also get $10 a month per user for as long as the metering they build in (at $100+ an hour, yes, you pay them to meter it) says you use the software. They could NEVER do that, unless it is forced on the world from the top down.

What do you get a man who has everything? (Like Bill-ionare Gate$.) No, no, he already has a Scrooge McDuck money vault building with a diving board to dive into his money. You get him fantastic new streams of revenue by busting our chops. Like this.

• Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cannot stress how critical this is. Every attempt to work collaboratively on an excel file becomes an exercise in frustration due to this problem. Makes it very difficult to drive office 365 adoption in our organisation.

• Paul Kanterman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a much needed improvement. I just migrated local files to OneDrive and the one complaint I'm getting is that one person's filter is impacting another person's view.

I had no idea that this would be an issue. It will impact our ability to migrate to OneDrive. IS there any update on when the enhancement would be implemented?

Our teams could use this functionality immediately. It would be indispensable for individuals to be able to filter a shared spreadsheet without impacting the views of others using the spreadsheet simultaneously.

• CS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes - this function would be incredibly useful to our work environment.

• Hendrik M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

individual filters is extremely neccessary for our company as well. pleased to hear/see a solution. thx.

Actually, if this really happens, and clearly it does (we tend to break apart files and work ,then bring it back together to avoid this and other problems, getting our own set of problems, of course), then this should be of enormous help to the average office's use of the ability.

One need not be pigeon-holed to other authors' views. One would have his own. Perhaps several. And generic views could be arranged, not molded to a person, but a role. It could be very handy, even for an individual. Like we used to be able to do via Workspaces defined for roles, or people using the split apart file approach. (No more "Workspace" functionality... have to craft it, not just use it.)

(In the end of your description, you talk about exactly when it would help you, not hinder you.)

I like the thought that it could be used to add to the protections in Excel (the few, the proud...). To limit someone's access or the range of material he could harm in some dufus way, one could set up a view that limited his access, call it "Newbie" or what-have-you, if these were password enabled, it would be the only view of the file he could access and so the only material he could hammer. Not "protection" in the strictest sense, but still protective. One could bring a few of the split apart pieces back together under a scheme like that, and lose some of the difficulties that approach has.

• Meghan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the ability to have individual views for each co-author would actually allow a file to be properly co-authored. Being pigeon holed to other authors filters or views kind of defeats the purpose of sharing documents for most users. We have multiple users working on a spreadsheet with 1000's of rows of data, we work independently all day on different "sets" and update, add change etc. the data frequently.

It'd be an interesting way to protect a spreadsheet too.

Interesting to see an Admin comment less than a year, or four years, old. Almost makes you think they still look at the website now and then.

Although I have already voted for this sometime back, I thought I would put our process on for updating/filtering shared tables in the absence of this functionality.

Update Table New Row;
        - Have a section specifically where the user can insert a new row, a button appended to this row will insert the row into the table and sort with predetermined criteria with VB.

View/Filter Table;
        - User move/copy's master sheet and renames to their ID, user then applies filter to the table.
        - User removes renamed sheet once they have completed their task.

Update Existing Row;
        - User follows process for View/Filter table to identify row number.
        - User locates row in Master table and updates items on row.

• Sebastian Egger-Lampl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are jointly working on online Excel spreadsheets across teams (total approx. 50 persons) and have to filter individually --> currently this really creates headaches!

• Laura Carter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this really bad, it really hinders file collaboration without it! Excel Team - What is your ETA for Complete?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19

Feedback and Knowledge Base