Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Allow for personal user views/filters

When using Excel Online, if you add a filter, everyone using that spreadsheet in Excel Online will see that filter. Can you please add an option for only the one user to see that filter?

1,158 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joseph shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  AdminExcel Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Thank you for your continuous feedback over the last few months. I’m glad to update you that this work has now been planned.

To help us design the feature to properly serve your sort/filter needs in your collaboration workflows in Excel, please help to fill in this short questionnaire – https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v4j5cvGGr0GRqy180BHbR4rWDU67-bdHnMt3Vmrztn9UNjJZUFg5UkxSSVFEQVJHQ1JDT1RCMkJLSy4u

279 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ready yet?! Would be great to see this 5 yo Google Sheets functionality applied in Excel as well...

• Roy Faltesek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having people save with their view changes is annoying to others as well. It should allow you to save with view changes, but it would be helpful if you include the ability to set a default view and select the default view, so users have an quick and easy way to restore the default view.

• Carl Boyd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to disagree with the comment below. Working for a large Educational establishment I can say we are moving more towards MS Online docs for sharing files. Can you really see a SME hosting their own server to share docs?

Let's be honest Microsoft and Google will have better security than if we were to go it alone!

Essentially MS need to pull their finger out and develop the features being requested...

Daniel
        Yes, It's called personal filter.

It may be that the market has moved toward folks hosting their own servers for sharing documents, due to security concerns. I don't think MS is going to support any improvements to the application in this regard. It seems pretty obvious given the lack of response to this thread.

I'm using sheets, but don't like google having access to my files, and neither do some clients. Darn hackers have ruined phones, online sharing, just about everything tech related.

• Daniel Amaral - Autoglass commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

*Microsoft*, you can Add personal filters and keep the default filters. Google Spreadsheet solved this creating Views. It works like filters, but eatch View can do his own individual filters.

I am sorry MS, after being on hold for 30 min, I was told I had to put in a ticket through my Admin portal and you would get back to me in 24 hours. Your customer service is lacking, this is probably not the product for my team or company. Amazing how one company can promise the world but yet lacks the skill to provide the most common of assets.

Thank you Delia!
        I totally get it, we have this issue here as well with workbooks we need to share but each user needs a different filtered view. I think I misunderstood as I thought she was saying that she had figured out a way to do it without affecting other user views. :)

• Delia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Anonymous!
        Cecilia, as well as everyone else in this thread (and everyone in the company I work for), need to get what the title says: Allow for personal user views/filters. This is to avoid that one user filtering affects everyone else using the same excel sheet. In case you're not familiar with what's being requested, see https://sites.google.com/a/york.ac.uk/workingwithdata/google-sheets/filter-views

• Scoot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still Planned then? Still no response to all these comments? Bye bye Office then - waste of everyone's time.

It's obvious tht MS has abandoned this product line. Surrendered to Google.

We now have only 1 option for collaboratve worksheets, and that option is not one that we can trust with confidential information. Maybe that is the fate of the age of connectivity, cloud storage and such.

So very troubling.

It is really unbelievable that it takes so long to answer questions about the planning and timeline of the development.
        Microsoft, are you telling us the truth about the progress?
        The only way to convince me, is that you share the plan and show us that you are really working on it.

Thanks for taking so long, my company has finally decided to move to Google Sheets. I highly recommend everyone else to do so.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Feedback and Knowledge Base