Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Notifications when file is updated

I would like to know when my OneDrive file that I have shared with someone is updated by that other person.

103 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

RPM shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be VERY helpfull. Right now I need to notify my clients by email.

MS is moving slow on this feature!!!! it's been a feature of google doc for years whats up????

• Rakib Hasan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Popup excel notification on my desktop and remind me my schedule. Even my excel workbook is no open.

• Ed Hansberry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This already works on files with Sharepoint. Hoping a OneDrive solution is on the way.

Yes this would be nice to inform those i share a file with at work that an update or change has been made automatically, so i dont have to keep sending emails all the time.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is available when a file is added to a Document Folder of a SharePoint Site but not in OneDrive. In most cases, the creation of an entire SharePoint Site is counterproductive and unnecessary when you have a single file to share. Yet, being notified when the file is updated by shared users is equally important whether on SharePoint or OneDrive.

• Ed Hansberry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I should be able to subscribe to any file in OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or any Sharepoint site in Office 365 to get an email the next morning when the file was updated.

• KayDee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From the document page, add an ability for a user to opt-in to email notifications (per change, or per day, etc...) that sends an email when an update has been made to the document that they're currently looking at.

• Mohit Gupta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When working with multiple people, we should have the option to send all of them or specific person, the notification via sheet itself to let them know it has been updated along with the ability to send annotation about it.

• Adrian Hyde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't you just use the native SharePoint/OneDrive "Alert Me" feature for changes to your files?

Feedback and Knowledge Base