Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Row and column highlighter

Row and column targeting highlighter. I would love a feature that when I point or click on a cell, the entire row and column is highlighted with a
color that I can choose from a pallet. This feature would confirm when entering values into a specific cell, that you can ensure you are working on the right row or column because often sheets are very large and making sure you enter a value into the right cell can be a problem especially after hours of staring at a spreadsheet with many values. This feature can of course be turned on or off and the highlight color for the row and column should be independently customizable from a palette of highlighter colors. One color for the row and a different one for the column if the user chooses. The highlight can be turned on or off for the entire viewable row or column or both and would follow the cursor. Like a scope on rifle, it would give viewer(s) precision and they would be able to look at an entire row or column of figures at a glance. If the cell is double clicked, then the highlight would be “locked in” temporarily allowing the user to move around the sheet and the specific values in an entire row or column would still be highlighted. In the case a Macbook, pressing harder on the trackpad to invoke the second click to lock in the highlighter would be a great feature. Navigating around the spreadsheet and having a cell “targeted” by highlighting the entire column and/or row allows the user to visually confirm they are entering values into the correct cell in a large sheet quickly. It also allows the user to read values all along that row or column when reviewing specific cells. Sometimes I have to hold a ruler up to my screen if the sheet is really large and I want to make sure I am looking at the right row or column and this highlighter would simply take away a lot of eyestrain and make working on large spreadsheets more comfortable and efficient.

Wing Lee
Winglee1@outlook.com
+6476326900
Toronto, Canada

24 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google