Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

PivotTables created with Power BI using Analyze In Excel should work after publishing to Power BI

Power BI's Analyze in Excel functionality allows Excel users on the desktop to create reports using PivotTables and cube formulas connected to a published Power BI dataset. However (and this is very hard to explain to customers) these reports only work on the desktop: even though Power BI allows you to publish Excel workbooks to an App Workspace, reports created using Analyze In Excel do not work after they have been published to Power BI because Excel Online does not support connections to Power BI. Please fix this!

372 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris Webb shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

33 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our company has an open ticket with MS support on this.

We have our PBI reports linked to SSAS tabular and in this scenario there could be the possibility, according to MS support, to make the "Analyze in Excel" file work by granting HTTP Access to Analysis Services on IIS 8.0
        (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/analysis-services/instances/configure-http-access-to-analysis-services-on-iis-8-0?view=sql-server-2017)

Has anyone tried this solution?
        We are configuring the server following the instructions in the link above; I'll let you know if it works..

• Rob Collie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well Tim they ARE slower than pivots, and in large volumes yes you will notice a problem.

Still though, in most cases you should be ok. (Also, once we get this enabled, we can THEN complain about any perf problems, so let's keep the upvotes and enthusiasm coming!)

• Tim Rodman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rob, I love cube formulas too, but I was nervous about using them in large volumes after talking with Per Solli about it. Sounds like maybe you've used them heavily against cloud models without experiencing too much pain?

• Geoff Fawcett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely Cube Formulas. That is very high value because there are so many reports out there built in a specific Excel format that managers/exec's want to keep seeing in that exact format. This would enable that to work, but supported by a PBI/AS data source.

Don't CUBE FORMULAS have a problem though in that each one individually makes a call to the cloud model which is a pretty big performance problem?

• Rob Collie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not to mention - CUBE FORMULAS! The one visualization type that basically no competing tool (nor Power Bi itself) can ever really replicate. Cube formulas against cloud models (PBIX, SSAS Tabular, etc.) are a killer app.

• Geoff Fawcett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a truly "better together" feature, and SO useful. While we're at it, could we enable pivot tables connected to Azure Analysis Services and SQL Analysis Services to work as well? That would complete the scenario.

• Stijn Lioen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding this would enable us to make Power BI our single Analytics tool throughout the company! Wheras today we still need alternative solutions for our exel-pivot-adepts community of report consumers.

I wonder if there might need to be some kind of restrictions put in place for Excel Online workbooks that make too many calls back to a PowerBI.com data model such that they put too much load on Azure.

• Barrett Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have run into this with clients as well, and have had to explain to them that even though the dataset resides in Power BI, they can't refresh their Excel file inside Power BI. I hope someone is working on changing this!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base