Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Create the ability to lock certain cells while being able to edit other cells in the same sheet.

Currently, there is not the ability to lock certain cells in a document online, while also being able to edit others in the same sheet. It would help a ton if there was a way to lock specified cells in a sheet and also be able to edit unlocked cells in the sheet when editing online.

111 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Neale Moore shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kayla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I protected a sheet in Microsoft excel with some ranges unlocked. When I upload this sheet in one drive, the entire sheet gets locked. I want some cells to be editable by everyone, while some cells to be unlocked in online excel. How can I do it?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cindy- you need to do this while not using Excel Online- after you upload the file that is protected, users in the Online Excel version will only be able to then use the unlocked cells. We've all been asking for the ability to do this directly in the online version, but not available yet.

• Cindy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to lock certain cells while being able to edit other cells in the same sheet. I am creating an interactive type of calculator and persons online need to enter their data without changing my formulas by accident.

...adding users that are allowed to edit blocked cells like the offline version.

Block only some cells is possible in Excel Online, but no exceptions for some users.

• Max commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Couldn't agree more, we really need this as well. We know there is a workaround to pull it down into full blown Excel and then save back up but it would be great if we could it right in online Excel.

• irene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

if you ask to check out the document, the other user is revealed :-D

I have found that if you upload a file with cells locked, the locked cells remain locked; This means that the user needs to open it in Excel and not online to do this process; while this is my "workaround", I am also in favor of the option to lock and password protect cells/worksheets while in the excel file online.

Exactly this is the problem I am facing. I want certain sheets to be locked and to uneditable by some people just like we have in google sheets. Kindly do it asap

• Josh Grollman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an excellent idea - Many files that are intended to be worked on collaboratively still have certain cells that should be "un-editable". This functionality should be maintained by the administrator or key user of that specific file.

Feedback and Knowledge Base