Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Tracking changes in Excel spreadsheet shared online.

track individual changes to who changed what and what value in a cell

41 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Courtney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature would be very useful. Would like to have a formula that checks a date and the user details of selected cells when online. =INFO() does not work. =NOW() does. Can the INFO() function be enhanced to run using Excel online???????????

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft - you may not be understanding real world work situations. Co-authoring is great, if you are actually working at the same time. There are multiple reasons to use tracking - which co-authoring is not going to help. After making a series of changes, I want the summary sheet so the Account Manager can verify all the changes. I am requesting updates from someone half way around the world. (I am not getting up at 3 am to watch them make changes.) I am doing OTHER work while waiting for updates - because I don't work in one file only and sit and watch the changes like it is TV. Even the changes while co-authoring should be tracked. I have files with thousands of lines and a hundred pages. As someone else also said - give us the option to select what the highlights will look like for a session - yellow for me, blue for Carol, etc. Or even better yet - make the changes highlightable like in OneNote. Very VERY disappointed AGAIN with the lack of understanding of real world application of Excel

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For anyone that's interested this is the reply from Microsoft, received yesterday. I logged the fact that I cannot track changes in Excel as a business critical case with Premier Support, as it does impact a high number of users that I was planning on migrating to Office 365.

Microsofts Reply:
        "Talked with Product team, we have plan to implement the trace change feature which is similar to what you are seeing in Google sheets, you can see who changed which cell by checking version detail. But the estimate time line is before end of 2019."

This is a critical capacity. I've been a google dox user and am at a new job which operates substantially in the Microsoft world. I'm finding it quite frustrating that there is no track changes (or equivalent) capacity in Excel.

So Am I , This is not a feature, which is very essence of any shared document, which can simultaneously updated and we can not keep a track of it. I find this online service of Microsoft not at all convincing, I still like and appreciate the desktop versions of it. Not sure why this is not given at nominal charges so company can implement this.

It is standard in GDocs! And someone just changed a ton of notes that we absolutely need, so the fact that we can't see what got deleted is a bummer.

• mo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm actually shocked that this isn't a feature. It's standard in Google Docs

Feedback and Knowledge Base