Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

When a document is locked (as it's being edited by another user) it would be great to know who is editing the file offline.

When a document is locked (as it's being edited by another user) it would be great to know who is editing the file offline.

174 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Alex shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you hover the mouse over the file in the doc library, I think it tells you who has it locked?

It would be nice if there were other indicators, though.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Double check the slightly embarrassing situation that it is not you yourself that is editing the file offline. You may have forgotten that you are editing the file on your desktop and later on login to the online version and try to edit it. Of course in this scenario it will be locked. If this feature was implemented however, you'd find this out before you point your finger at everyone else :-)

• FP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a basic need.... competition is delivering this feature already!

• Al commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the *very* least, allow the O365 Admin to see who has the file locked.

I also like Alex C.'s suggestion about allowing for "online only" or perhaps "desktop only"

Google Docs allows multiple people to edit the same doc at the same time. Why do we still need the ancient concept of locking an online doc?

Please please please implement this suggestion. It's too easy to accidentally edit in the desktop application and not realize that you have locked your colleagues out.

If concerns about privacy exist (which seems weird because it is a shared document), then perhaps one could send the other person a notification through the application?

• Brandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, please be able to see who has the document open. Would be great to also be able to send a notification automatically requesting them to close the document so that you can edit it.

I absolutely concur, even better send a message to the person using the file noting the desire for access.

• Alex C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This locked document problem NEEDS to be fixed. A notification is a good start, but if we have an Excel file online, we MUST be able to prevent people from locking it in the first place. If that means you restrict a file to "online edits only" or only let people open the file in Excel 2016 which allows full edit collaboration...it doesn't matter which direction you guys go, just DO IT!!

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand if this is supposed to be a collaborative solution that has been rolled out, how could it be locked? This should not happen if others can work on the same document together.

• Joe Rad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Her MS, how long are you going to wait until you address this? Remember, you are not the only game in town......

Dear Microsof, Please open a google account and see how google docs works. You guys are seriuosly outdated! I created a file and i am locked ouout of it? Quite a joke! Catch up pls!

• Brian York commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would also be nice to be able to alert that other user that I would like access to the Document.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base