Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Add ability to open Online files with more than 10 MB

Add ability to open Online files with more than 10 MB and increase file size to 30-40Mb

139 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A 5 MB size is very limiting 30MB should be a good minimum target. Even my Middle school age children use Excel file sizes greater than 5MB.

• waterfall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

file size 30-40 is better, but why limit it that much, even? Let the users work on a shared document!

The Limit needs to increase to more than 10MB in SharePoint. Shared excel files for instance are typically huge and are worked on effectively with the aid of Excel's inbuilt notification feature that works well when shared an ordinary network drive. On SharePoint, this notification prompt appears but it doesn't work when a file lock is released.

• Wes Arnquist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I try to edit an Excel file from Box in Excel Online I am being told that 5MB is the maximum. I can't have a team of 9 people collaborating and adding info to a single workbook and expect it to stay under 5MB! Expecting people to check out the file, effectively locking it so others can't make their updates, is unrealistic - we need true collaboration capabilities on decent size workbooks. This makes me wish my organization used Google Sheets like my last company. Everyone laughed when they announced we were moving to Google, but now everyone's laughing at MS - it's kind of sad really.

• Evan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would greatly appreciate communication from Microsoft regarding the status of Excel Online increase Workbook Size Limit request. Is this constraint being worked on? We are Office 365 Plus subscription. Cloud benefit is greatly limited for Excel users and making me wish we did On Prem for this reason!

• Evan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree 10 MB for SharePoint Excel Online workbook size is EXTREMELY limiting. Ever since Excel Power BI came along, my workbooks are growing, not shrinking! I cannot share the Excel workbook as the user experience will suffer due to memory constraints when using Power Pivot fueled reports (most users are still 32 bit). In addition to increasing Workbook size restrictions for SharePoint Excel Online, we need to prevent time out problems for slicer operations. Very painful indeed.

Office Online Limitations - Extremely limiting

Please assist me in bringing the issues we are experiencing to the attention of the correct department as we would like to see future improvements on this product as soon as possible.

1. Find function is very limited
    No summary of cell locations for matches displayed

2. No Custom Sort Option

3. Vlookup formula loses focus when you lookup between sheets

4. No filtering by cell color

5. No freeze panes option (or at least freeze top row)

6. No cell border options

7. No replace with option (Used alot and urgently needed)

8. Limited print options
    Page layout missing
    Landscape / Horizonal missing
    Page Count?

9. No Text to column option

10. No Remove duplicates

11. No Pivot Table

12.Unable to make copies sheets (Maunal Copy select paste required)

13.Copy between workbooks in the online environment (Not support without losing formats and running into serious limit constraints on the amount of data you can copy)

14. Increase file size limit to at least 25 MB

When comparing this basic functionality to rivals like google I would expect Microsoft to up their game in this area and enable their existing user base with basics first.

Less is more and by saying that I want to emphasize that before Office 365 gets more nice to have Facebook like features that the basics should be of better quality

I would also like to challenge the developers at Microsoft to go and work on Google Sheets as users are forced to work with hybrid solutions (google sheets and office 365) in order to get the job done.

• Werner de Bryun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Office Online Limitations - Extremely limiting

Please assist me in bringing the issues we are experiencing to the attention of the correct department as we would like to see future improvements on this product as soon as possible.

1. Find function is very limited
    No summary of cell locations for matches displayed

2. No Custom Sort Option

3. Vlookup formula loses focus when you lookup between sheets

4. No filtering by cell color

5. No freeze panes option (or at least freeze top row)

6. No cell border options

7. No replace with option (Used alot and urgently needed)

8. Limited print options
    Page layout missing
    Landscape / Horizonal missing
    Page Count?

9. No Text to column option

10. No Remove duplicates

11. No Pivot Table

12.Unable to make copies sheets (Maunal Copy select paste required)

13.Copy between workbooks in the online environment (Not support without losing formats and running into serious limit constraints on the amount of data you can copy)

14. Increase file size limit to at least 25 MB

When comparing this basic functionality to rivals like google I would expect Microsoft to up their game in this area and enable their existing user base with basics first.

Less is more and by saying that I want to emphasize that before Office 365 gets more nice to have Facebook like features that the basics should be of better quality

I would also like to challenge the developers at Microsoft to go and work on Google Sheets as users are forced to work with hybrid solutions (google sheets and office 265) in order to get the job done.

I would suggest that even 30-40 mb is too small

Should be harmonized with attachment size limit -- 150 mb

• Seth Gray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am being told excel cannot display the file in sharepoint due to the file exceeding the maximum file size. TELL ME THE SIZE!

Feedback and Knowledge Base