Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Pls add TRACK CHANGES capabilities for us to track who changed what (specifically not by versions), in excel online or browser mode.

Pls add TRACK CHANGES capabilities for us to track who changed what (specifically not by versions), in excel online or browser mode.

468 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ida Harlina shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

127 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Justin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Google just changed their documents to see cell specific changes. It is amazing! Please add this Microsoft, as I really don't want to have to move everything over to Google sheets. People need to audit collaborative changes!

I am amazed you are letting Google pioneer this first. This is your bread and better!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just ran into this issue last week and the first thing back from the executive was why not. I can see exactly who made what changes on Google. I also noticed that this has been open since 2016. Is the UserVoice being managed and are the ideas submitted being considered?

very needed feature.
    to start maybe to provide which user has last modified each cell?

• jimmy!#* commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for trace cell dependency / precedents

Whats the point of the online app if not to handle extra function work on limited device versions like android/iPhone, tablets, webbrowser, etc where the client is weaker and the user needs to access special FULL office features. Heck the online experience should have more feature capability than any native program under any platform & u r wasting the opportunity to r&d trial product features for the next full office release. that'll be 2c please ;}

• John Lehsoj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add track changes to Excel Online. This feature is needed for my organization when using excel to sign up for activities on a First Come First Serve basis. If Microsoft will not implement this then I will have to find a different solution with another company's product. From reading below looks like Google has the ability.
    Thank-you

• Jolab commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely a feature that is required in a collaborative environment.

The ability to view a detailed history of changes in a document (what was changed, who changed it, when it was changed) is essential to effective collaborative work. I have been finding it profoundly disappointing to have moved from a company that used Google extensively to a company that uses Microsoft Office 365 exclusively. So many features that were so readily available to me on Google Sheets are now missing. It feels like I have returned to the technology of the previous decade, with Dropbox-style file management and terribly limited collaborative capabilities.

We've been waiting a long time! At least let us know if this is in the works.

• Ibrahim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Google spreadsheets have file versions as well as the ability to see changes from one version to the next. Any reasonably sized spreadsheet will have small changes dotted around which co-authors need to be able to see. I feel this is an opportunity for Microsoft to excel in online spreadsheets by implementing something better than Google.

Dear Excel Online Development Managers,
    Perhaps I am overlooking something here, but looking back at the more than one year history of this request (to add track changes functionality), I see little or no response at all on what is being done or going to be done to meet this request. I am sure I am not the only one who would appreciate to receive feedback on whether or not this request is being looked into seriously and what can be expected and when. Of course also "no - this cannot / will not be done is also an answer. I think it would be fair (or better: the least that should be done) to all persons who are hoping for a solution and spending efforts posting to this topic to provide clarity on what may be expected. For now the lack of feedback leaves us little more than to plan that we will have to continue working with workarounds like for instance Google Spreadsheets.

Tracking changes is imperative for my current project, so I converted my document to Google Sheets after creating a new Google account. I use Google's share link feature with others on the team, who can make changes to the sheet without a Google account of their own. I encourage others to do the same. It's a huge sigh of relief to use a cloud-based spreadsheet editor that just plain works. No more throwing monitors and keyboards out the window when Excel Online locks me out of a spreadsheet (a spreadsheet that I own and am not sharing with anybody), prevents me from changing the title (when I'm staring at the only instance of the sheet), fails to maintain comments and formatting when exporting to .xlsx, fails to maintain formatting when pasting cells from other Excel instances, and exposes a myriad of bugs in OneDrive (but that's a topic for another M$ hate thread).

Same here, need to be able to see what changes have been made by users! The co-authoring option in itself, without the 'track changes', is useless...

• Rachel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this feature is critical for our team to be able to collaborate on sheets as we are not necessarily in the sheet at the same time. Also would allow us to better understand what all has happened within a co-authored sheet at the end of the day.

• Jack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a critical feature that needs to be added back to Excel with co-authoring. We need the ability to see a "digest" of changes that have been made.

• 張林育銘 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We were considering moving from Google docs to Excel Co-Authoring, but we need to be able to see who changed what cell. The track changes feature needs to be implemented with co-authoring. I understand you can see a live feed, but that is useless if you need to go back for accountability purposes.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's entirely difficult to keep track changes especially when there are 10 or more people simultaneously editing the document. This is been an issue in our organization for a while now since we've migrated from Google. I hope this feature gets implemented the soonest. In the meantime, I'm exploring on the Add-Ins but I'm not quite sure yet whether they work both in Excel Desktop or Online.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base