Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

The ability to copy/paste Excel Online cells into the Excel Desktop App and Vice Versa (while maintaining formatting)

56 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • SD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ridiculous. Why cant we paste a column of information from a G drive saved excel file into a online excel file? Also, why does it keep forcing the date formatting to the American format that is incorrect in literally every other nation on earth??

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my vote to getting this resolved. Vote #50. Surprised so few are having this issue. Thankfully I only have to close the window 10-15 times before it finally pastes. Seems like it has to get a login or response for every CSS style the window uses. There are better ways to spend my time.

• Excel User commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It just had me log into my account about 30 times trying to do this, I finally gave up

Has this still not be resolved? I need to download a copy then copy/paste my tables into other office programmes, This is a huge invonvienase when you have to do that 40 times a day. when working with shared Excel files that 10 people are working off of and not having the most basic functionality is mind-boggling for such a huge company. This needs to be fixed soon!

I am just adding my voice to that of below. Very frustrating trying to copy and past data from Excel online to Word online and having to re-type everything due to the blue box that now surrounds everything! Grrrrrrr. Time waster!!!!

• C.D. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ridiculous - I have a ton of important data in Excel online, in various tabs and rows, and now can't copy/paste them directly into the MS Office 365 Version. I have to do a circus act re-formatting (it takes away the rows/columns) to make it right, with very important data. Thanks Microsoft.

• apple commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Student Staff
    Report Chat CIA SEM Atten Report
    CIA Edit Edit Edit CIA
    SEM SEM
    Atten CIA Sem Atten
    Name Name Name
    RNO RNO RNO
    Select SUB Select SUB Select SUB
    CIA I Sem Date
    CIA 2
    Assignment

Admin
    Staff Student Subject
    Name Name Add Subject name
    Phone No RNO Edit Subject Code
    Email Phone No
    DOB Email
    Department DOB
    Year Department
    1 Year
    3 Change default password
    Select SUB

• Fred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excel has begun ignoring tab stops as column breaks, it pastes text into one column instead of spreading across columns at tab breaks SERIOUS PROBLEM for heavy data input users

• Ricky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't paste table data from Excel Desktop / Word without losing formatting when pasting into Excel or Word Online.

Feedback and Knowledge Base