Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Share the same file in different folders

The ability to choose a file (or folder) and share it in multiple folders. Users in Folder A could have edit rights. Users in Folder B could have view rights.

7 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Erik Pampalone shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Erik Pampalone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you point me to the appropriate place to share the same file in different folders? I realize this is bigger than Excel, but I don't know where to voice this improvement.

• AdminDan Battagin [MS XL] (Admin, Office.com) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep, I agree that it's different - just wanted to make sure. You could also always share only specific files with users, so UserA can access some files in FolderX and UserB could access some other files in FolderX. With OneDrive.com, each user would only see the files they have access to.

But, then you have to manage permissions at the file level, rather than folder.

For the ask you have - that's really a file system ask, not an Excel idea, so I'm probably going to decline it. Please let me know if there's something Excel specific that I'm missing.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

it is different. Having a one to many relationship between the file and the folder would be more powerful. Imagine I have a single file and I get to choose which folders it appears in.

Unless I am missing something in current functionality, there is a one to one relationship between the file and the folder. If I have permissions on the folder and give access for Folder A to User A, then User A can access the file. If I want to give access to a folder to User B, I have to give User B access to Folder A.

I want to keep my User A's and User B's separate.

In addition, to the above scenario, I could make changes in a single file and have that same file used in different folders for different reasons. For example, I can share the same file in Folder X from Group X, Folder Y from Group Y, and Folder Z from Group Z. Any time I make a change to the file, it is automatically updated in all places.

With current functionality, I have to copy and paste three different files to three different folders.

Feedback and Knowledge Base