Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Download complete original file from Excel Online

When you download a file from Excel Online, some features that aren't yet supported by Excel Online are deleted from the downloaded copy of the file. Textboxes are a good example of an unsupported feature that is deleted from downloaded files.

Removing unsupported features is a problem if I use OneDrive to hold files for download by webinar participants because I put a lot of explanatory content in those textboxes.

I want to use OneDrive instead of DropBox for these file downloads, but won't do so if content is stripped. Right now, the only way a user can get the complete original file is to open it in Excel desktop client rather than Excel Online. This is problematic because the links found in OneDrive Details dialog (such as "Anyone with this link can view this item") open in Excel Online rather than desktop Excel. While it is possible to open a file using desktop Excel's file browse dialog to target the OneDrive server, the only postable URL that works in desktop Excel is the one returned by ActiveWorkbook.FullName in VBA.

Though it might seem that this is a OneDrive problem rather than Excel Online, I note that some unsupported features (like VBA code) aren't stripped. What I want is all unsupported features to be treated that same way--don't strip them from the downloaded file. I want the complete original copy of the file be downloadable when the user requests it from Excel Online.

45 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brad Yundt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • rbish commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The "Download" option is pretty worthless - why does it even exist? What good does this button accomplish that cannot be done with the options of "Edit in Excel" or "Save a Copy"???
        I think it should be removed so as to not give users the option of stripping stuff from a document.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Excel Online, I have a button to "Open in Excel." Once it is open in desktop Excel, I can "Save As..." This solves the issue of unsupported features, it just seems strange that there needs to be a workaround.

These messages are more than a year old and there are no improvements to this "program". Certain staff members in my company INSIST that we post files to OneDrive so we can "share" them and work on them together. Great ... EXCEPT:
        Excel online has only 1/4 of the functionality of the actual Excel program.
        Excel online will not let me print my documents appropriately having removed half of the functionality of the Shrink to Fit function.
        Excel online says I should be able to download a copy so I can rework the file that is posted online so that it is usable except... when I push "download a copy" NOTHING happens.

This like Office for Mac which has the functionality of the office programs from the 1990's should be updated so that it is a reasonable product or it should only be 1/4 of the price so that you are getting appropriate value.

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft should be ashamed of this product. It is useless and a huge waste of my money. My company is reverting back asap. Its junk.

I hate Excel online. It was developed and designed by people who live in some alternate universe developer's paradise.

• Fred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I despise excel online, wastes enormous amount of space with the ridiculous logo

• Ed Hansberry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. This should not be a destructive edit. I am ok with Excel Online not showing the info, like text boxes, but it shouldn't remove them from the file! Wasn't that part of the point of the new XML formats a decade ago? Data in the file could be ignored by the client if not supported, but not removed from the file.

• Felipe Costa Gualberto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, it would be good to create a new workbook property called, for example, ActiveWorkbook.CloudPath so ActiveWorkbook.FullName will always return the physical workbook path, but this is a totally different matter...

Feedback and Knowledge Base