Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Adding advance sort features to Excel Online

Enabling advance sort features in Excel Online. I have requested that my organization stop using Google Drive and one of the issues a lot of people complain about is the ability to do advance sorting like you can in Google Sheets or the Excel app.

Currently, the only sort feature is ascending or descending by one column.

182 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

William Robinson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

53 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • virtual commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wonder how much these UserVoice feedbacks help, if a feature such this basic sorting has not been implemented in Excel Online (and Excel for Android and iOS too) after more than THREE YEARS since the submission!

It's ridiculous!

• John Zak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While you cannot use Excel Online to add a Custom Sort, a possible workaround would be to Edit in Excel and commit the change with the sort in place. Obviously, this isn't elegant and won't fit every scenario/analysis, but it could get some folks and organizations over the hump.

• Kate McCay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My department was planning on switching over to Sharepoint for reporting, but since the custom sort feature is not active, it is making it difficult to make this a reality. We each need the report to sort for different variables and at this time that is not an option, making this only a dream.

• A.P. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This Custom Sort feature is necessary. Our company prefers One Drive over Google Sheets so I have to use it for reports. I like to command the program to sort by a certain order, instead One Drive is commanding you the only option to ascend and descend in which, is quite annoying and disappointing when working with spreadsheet reports all day.
    This issue does not exist with Google Sheets

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are in the process of converting many docs over to the online environment for the sake of multiple remote user access rights and shared, real-time edits. Not having the custom sort feature may change our minds. Let's get this going.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Major missing feature - it seems like an obviously needed function. At the very least the online version needs to automatically detect additional data and prompt to expand and sort.

Not sure that my comment will do anything, but this is a feature that my company needs badly as well. Having to export the files to the desktop version of Excel just to do the sorting is really inconvenient!

• SaraC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You have got to be kidding me! I thought I was overlooking something. How could they possibly exclude this critical feature?!! Come on, Microsoft, you need to fix this!

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

KLM1117 commented · January 9, 2019 1:37 PM · Flag as inappropriate
    Try this: Select the entire first row of column headers, then click on "sort & filter" and choose "filter". That should allow you to sort the entire sheet (either ascending or descending) by the column you choose.

This comment did work. It allowed me to sort the entire spreadsheet by custom filters. Thank You!!

We are able to do everything we need on Excel online except for custom sorting and being able to protect and unprotect cells. We use these features all the time and need to be able to do this online instead of having to go to desktop just to do these two functions. It wastes time that we do not have to waste.

• Lou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is discussed also under the topic "Allow for personal user views/filters"
    as of 8/02/19 work has commenced, looking forward to a solution
    excel.uservoice.com/forums/274580-excel-online/suggestions/8192445-allow-for-personal-user-views-filters

Yep, hopeless. I just signed up to Office 365 last week. I won't be renewing. Wish I'd know this beforehand. Apparently our company wants to switch to Office 365 - not if I can help it. I will be telling them about this little omission. The function exists for donkey's years - why is there even an issue with implementing multiple sort? Nearly drove me mad - thought I was missing something until I asked Google.

• virtual commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Ed Kast
    ... and what's worst is that Microsoft still is not implementing this feature after almost 3 years that this thread/idea has been opened. The same is on the Android Excel version, still missing!
    I really think they don't care about excel.uservoice.com.

• Ed Kast commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@KLM1117 - That is not the issue. The issue is (and this is documented by Microsoft) that you cannot sort on more than one column at a time using Office Excel 365.

For example, create a spreadsheet with column headings Member ID, Last Name, First Name, and date of service. Fill in several rows of data. Now try to sort the entire spreadsheet using Office Excel 365 by Last Name ascending, First Name ascending, and then Date of service old to new.

Using filters, as you suggest, will allow drilling down to a specific subset of data. However, from a production and automation standpoint, the requirement is more than that. We need to provide our business partners with raw sorted data for import or export.

• KLM1117 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Try this: Select the entire first row of column headers, then click on "sort & filter" and choose "filter". That should allow you to sort the entire sheet (either ascending or descending) by the column you choose.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base