Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Adding advance sort features to Excel Online

Enabling advance sort features in Excel Online. I have requested that my organization stop using Google Drive and one of the issues a lot of people complain about is the ability to do advance sorting like you can in Google Sheets or the Excel app.

Currently, the only sort feature is ascending or descending by one column.

160 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

William Robinson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

45 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • SaraC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You have got to be kidding me! I thought I was overlooking something. How could they possibly exclude this critical feature?!! Come on, Microsoft, you need to fix this!

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

KLM1117 commented · January 9, 2019 1:37 PM · Flag as inappropriate
    Try this: Select the entire first row of column headers, then click on "sort & filter" and choose "filter". That should allow you to sort the entire sheet (either ascending or descending) by the column you choose.

This comment did work. It allowed me to sort the entire spreadsheet by custom filters. Thank You!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are able to do everything we need on Excel online except for custom sorting and being able to protect and unprotect cells. We use these features all the time and need to be able to do this online instead of having to go to desktop just to do these two functions. It wastes time that we do not have to waste.

• Lou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is discussed also under the topic "Allow for personal user views/filters"
    as of 8/02/19 work has commenced, looking forward to a solution
    excel.uservoice.com/forums/274580-excel-online/suggestions/8192445-allow-for-personal-user-views-filters

Yep, hopeless. I just signed up to Office 365 last week. I won't be renewing. Wish I'd know this beforehand. Apparently our company wants to switch to Office 365 - not if I can help it. I will be telling them about this little omission. The function exists for donkey's years - why is there even an issue with implementing multiple sort? Nearly drove me mad - thought I was missing something until I asked Google.

• virtual commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Ed Kast
    ... and what's worst is that Microsoft still is not implementing this feature after almost 3 years that this thread/idea has been opened. The same is on the Android Excel version, still missing!
    I really think they don't care about excel.uservoice.com.

• Ed Kast commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@KLM1117 - That is not the issue. The issue is (and this is documented by Microsoft) that you cannot sort on more than one column at a time using Office Excel 365.

For example, create a spreadsheet with column headings Member ID, Last Name, First Name, and date of service. Fill in several rows of data. Now try to sort the entire spreadsheet using Office Excel 365 by Last Name ascending, First Name ascending, and then Date of service old to new.

Using filters, as you suggest, will allow drilling down to a specific subset of data. However, from a production and automation standpoint, the requirement is more than that. We need to provide our business partners with raw sorted data for import or export.

• KLM1117 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Try this: Select the entire first row of column headers, then click on "sort & filter" and choose "filter". That should allow you to sort the entire sheet (either ascending or descending) by the column you choose.

For example, if you want to sort by two columns such as First name and last name, you would sort first by the First name column using the filter drop-down, then again by the Last name column, again using the filter drop-down. I believe you are seeking a way to sort both (or more) columns with one click; that doesn't seem to be there.

Filters only allow you to sort by a single column. I need to be able to sort by multiple criteria.

• jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please, please add the ability to sort more then one column.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base