Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Allow a site owner to kick a user out of a file opened in Excel Online

If you have multiple people co-authoring in Excel Online, there are times when you need to open the file in Excel - typically for advanced formatting, etc. If someone has accidentally left the file open in their browser, there is no way to force them out and keeps the file locked. Although not always intentional, it can create a major headache by not being able to simply kick/close out that particular user from editing.

340 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Accepting Votes  ·  Tamar Tzruya responded  · 

Thank you for your feedback, the feature is under review, please keep voting.

Tamar {MSFT}

55 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • John Elza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is desperately needed. This is a major issue. Why has it taken over 2 years to add this feature with no news of its implementation?

• Frank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be awesome to toggle co-author on a live document from editing to read only on the fly along the kick out function.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THIS WOULD BE AMAZING! I'm so tired of people leaving it open and being unable to edit in excel to unlock my sheet

• Ben Stretton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We host our department's rota on OneDrive and use the viewing link to share it with the rest of the company. Only myself and the manager have access to edit the file. He has gone on holiday abroad for a fortnight and we desperately need to modify the rota. I can't simply create a new one as I would have to update all the other resources that point to this one file.

I can't believe Microsoft still haven't got round to implementing this feature, after years of it being requested.

Agreed. Not often needed -- but a major problem not to have it when it is needed

• Adam Oakley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a much needed feature! Not only because of issues when I have something shared with my team and they keep it open in their browser but it would fix this bug:

http://imgur.com/a/gXo1v

This occurs when I close a browser but it still thinks I'm editing the file (in this case it happened twice on the same machine with the same browser!) If I could boot other people out, my life would be much bettter!

give a file owner the ability to unlock a shared Office 365 document that is checked out

• Sarah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I needed this today. Someone external left a document open in their browser overnight (and not in the office today!) and I had to get one of their colleagues to go and close their browser. If site admins can't kick people out as yet, there should at least be some kind of timeout function so idle users will be kicked out after 10 minutes of inactivity. Please can this be done asap.

• Chris Vance commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

allow the owner of the spreadsheet to kick out users who forget to log out, or at least notify or nudge them.

You should definitely add a purge users option because you currently do not support this option and the online capabilities are limited. If I want to edit the document offline (full suite of options) I have to ask that person to leave the document. It is trickier when that person is anonymous and appears only as GuestXXX

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When a file has been locked for an extended period, you should be able to kick someone else off. A popup could show for the other person asking for permission to switch to the new user, and if there's no response within 5 minutes or so, their changes are saved and the file is closed so others can access it.

• Me commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Option to disconnect/end other connections for all office products. If a connection is currently viewed as active it force locks the document preventing editing

Yes, I wish to have this function too, hopefully Microsoft can make it asap...

1 3 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base