Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Allow a site owner to kick a user out of a file opened in Excel Online

If you have multiple people co-authoring in Excel Online, there are times when you need to open the file in Excel - typically for advanced formatting, etc. If someone has accidentally left the file open in their browser, there is no way to force them out and keeps the file locked. Although not always intentional, it can create a major headache by not being able to simply kick/close out that particular user from editing.

277 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Accepting Votes  ·  Tamar Tzruya responded  · 

Thank you for your feedback, the feature is under review, please keep voting.

Tamar {MSFT}

43 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Casey Kofnovec commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree with all of these people, I use Excel online EVERYDAY, and it is a huge pain in the tail when someone leaves a sheet open and i can not edit in Excel. PLEASEEEEE fix this problem.
        My next step is to contact microsoft directly

• Venkat. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

same issue here..please add this feature it doesnt make sense being admin with out this feature

• Dave SCS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@product team, please respond with an estimate on timing. Even if it's 'never', better to know than have false hope.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we please get an update on this? If there is no roadmap / timeframe for a fix I am going to have to consider moving to Google as this is crippling our team

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Honestly with how advanced our systems and ecosystems are becoming this issue should be a thing of the past. I have and still run into the same issues all the time. If Google Sheets was a little better I would switch my whole company to that. Please come up with a solution as this causes so many issues.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is horrible, i have 5 people in the document and they're all gone for the evening and I need to perform some advance features. As the owner of the document or administrator of the SharePoint site, I should be able to force people out of the document. VERY frustrating.

• Lance Murphy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey everyone, please share the link to this with your teams and affected users and encourage them to vote!

• HappyFeet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Change the user's editing rights would be my next move. But hmm, what if both users need edit rights. Yes, I agree, this should be fixed because that not only wastes time, but it can be very frustrating to spend time in an Excel sheet, editing, and someone else just sitting with it in the background.

• Luiz Veneziani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Judging from the comments, this issue has been lingering unresolved for a while. This is hampering our agility as well and would like to see this fixed sooner rather than later.

100% agree with comments here. Please resolve. Google Sheets doesn't have this problem. Much better user experience.

For us, what happens is a user gets locked in there multiple times - the same user - when they're trying to actually fix it. This delays the ability for others to modify or save the file (or even that person). We have to wait the timeout.

I can understand why kicking people out of files might be dangerous. Maybe better handling of the situation - a log out or release option for the person currently in the file. Detection of duplicate users w/ a file lock. Just some ideas...

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base