Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Excel Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Allow a site owner to kick a user out of a file opened in Excel Online

If you have multiple people co-authoring in Excel Online, there are times when you need to open the file in Excel - typically for advanced formatting, etc. If someone has accidentally left the file open in their browser, there is no way to force them out and keeps the file locked. Although not always intentional, it can create a major headache by not being able to simply kick/close out that particular user from editing.

334 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Accepting Votes  ·  Tamar Tzruya responded  · 

Thank you for your feedback, the feature is under review, please keep voting.

Tamar {MSFT}

55 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Votes do not matter. This is just an outlet for user's to express what they want. A Microsoft representative checks in and updates once every couple of years to maintain the appearance that they are active.
    They develop what they want, when they want, regardless of user input (thats why they are constantly developing new and useless features)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The first post for this was: January 29, 2016 5:55 AM

Not a single response or acknowledgement from Microsoft. It's very clear how little they value their customer's needs.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This thread was started over three years ago, obviously Microsoft cares nothing for its users. If my hands weren’t tied with the company I work for, I would personally move everything to google docs. They allow admins to bump off users that are inactive. Microsoft is terrible for not taking any action on this. Horrible product and horrible customer service.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THIS IS INSANE. Please add this feature. This creates an operational nightmare with multiple users. Do you care at all about this important user feedback?

• Eli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello? *taps on glass and peers through window* Anyone in there?

• Casey Kofnovec commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree with all of these people, I use Excel online EVERYDAY, and it is a huge pain in the tail when someone leaves a sheet open and i can not edit in Excel. PLEASEEEEE fix this problem.
    My next step is to contact microsoft directly

• Venkat. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

same issue here..please add this feature it doesnt make sense being admin with out this feature

• Dave SCS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@product team, please respond with an estimate on timing. Even if it's 'never', better to know than have false hope.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base