Excel Online

Welcome to the Excel Online feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

Take a look at the feedback that we are currently working on and what feedback we have already completed.

How can we improve Excel Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Handling unsupported file format (e.x. XLS, etc)

When opening a *.xls file in Excel Web App, instead of waiting for 5 minutes to see prompt

"Request Was Taking Too Long
    We're sorry. We couldn't finish what you ask us to do because it was taking too long."

and leave users clueless about why the file randomly not opened, why not just prompt clearly saying Excel Web App can only open *.xlsx files?

35 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Excel Online is now enabling opening of .xls and .csv files by converting them to .xlsx files, the conversion of course will enable editing and sharing.

Currently there are no plans to support saving of .xls and .csv files in Excel Online.

Tamar [MSFT]

• EXCEL ONLINE LIMITATIONS / FRUSTRATIONS

Just to be clear on this - someone merged this idea of multiple points to an singal idea related to file size only!!!! after the votes picked up. What about all the other ideas??

Office Online Limitations - Extremely limiting

Please assist me in bringing the issues we are experiencing to the attention of the correct department as we would like to see future improvements on this product as soon as possible.

1. Find function is very limited
      No summary of cell locations for matches displayed

2. No Custom Sort Option

3. Vlookup formula loses focus when you lookup between…

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

I’m the one who merged this idea. Please use a single idea on UserVoice for a single idea (and not to capture multiple limitations). The way the site is setup is that people then vote on the individual ideas, moving the most important ones to the top. When a bunch of ideas are captured in a single “page,” it’s impossible to do that.

There are already ideas on UserVoice for many of these items – it’d be great if you could vote for those (the search will find many of them with just a keyword or two) and add ideas for any that you don’t find easily.

Thanks
        Dan [MS]

• fix ya fucking shit assholes!

I need to use various formatting techniques to get the message across .... excel and word can't handle it !!

2 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • 1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • 36 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is definately our north star, but it would help if you voted for specific ideas, which helps us prioritize better how to get to this goal. Please do look at the specific ideas, and vote for the ones you miss the most, or add specific missing features for other people to vote for them!

• Use ChakraCore + Office Addons

Change the engine in Office for ChakraCore.
              ChakraCore now run os Windows and Mac.
              And use engine HTML of Edge inside, or Chromium running in ChakraCore
              Vide Node.js + ChakraCore

0 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Programmability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The internal architecture for how we build Office Online isn’t something that we’re going to change based on UserVoice votes. However, we’d love to hear what functionality you’d like to see in Office Online, and based on that functionality, we could decide to use a different architecture than our current architecture. For instance, what functionality would you like to see as a result of ChakraCore?

Cheers,
                Dan [MS]

• ownership

Allow ownership to transfer to other users. I work on documents for others and i have no need of them once they have them. I'd like to remove them from my drive allowing them to retain them.

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Clay,

This seems like a pretty reasonable idea, but it’s not something we’d do on the Excel side – it’s more up to the cloud storage host.

In that light – head on over to onedrive.uservoice.com and add the idea there – plus, you’ll get additional votes since it’s a different product! :-)

Cheers,
                  Dan [MS]

• Ability to customize appearance of survey

It would be nice to be able to customise the surveys. Colours, images, positioning of survey questions and overall screen size of the survey.

3 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Surveys  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    declined  ·  Jeff Zhang (MSFT)Jeff Zhang (MSFT) responded

Dear Excel User

Thank you very much for your time and passion in submitting this feature request. We are doing our best to respond to suggestions that get at least 20 votes. However, we are closing ideas with fewer than 5 supporters that have had no activity for more than 60 days, with the intention of freeing up your votes. Please resubmit your idea if you think it’s super important.

Thanks,
                    Microsoft Excel Team

• 1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Add display option to hide black branding bar at bottom of web-embedded document

There is a black bar at the bottom of a oneDrive spreadsheet embedded in an iframe. It contains four icons, one of the left and 3 on the right for such functions as give feed back, info about the workbook, and view full size workbook. I would like to suppress display of this bar which will just confuse the unsophisticated readers of my website.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This black bar is the branding bar for Excel, and is a piece that we need to keep in the UI in order to support the Excel brand (similar to the branding in other embeddable, free controls)

There are other ideas you can vote for functionality of this bar, so definitely feel free to vote on those!

Cheers,
                        Dan [MS]

• Microsoft Works Version 9 - 2007 (documents don't automatically link / replace from old to new)

Basically, the Microsoft Works Version 9 - 2007 is way better and more simple. I believe you just made it more difficult than it should be.

And I don't understand why ALL of our saved documents in Microsoft Works Version 9 - 2007 Microsoft Corporation does NOT automatically upload into the New Microsoft Version. (that's not right)

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • It would be great to be able to search and find information that may be hidden rows while the file is online.

It would be great to be able to search and find information that may be in hidden rows, instead of actually having to open the file in excel.

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Dear Excel User

Thank you very much for your time and passion in submitting this feature request. We are doing our best to respond to suggestions that get at least 20 votes. However, we are closing ideas with fewer than 5 supporters that have had no activity for more than 60 days, with the intention of freeing up your votes. Please resubmit your idea if you think it’s super important. :)

Thanks,
                            Microsoft Excel Team

• Increase the timeout period from 30 seconds or allow the user to select it. Several of our complicated spreadsheets won't open

Increase the timeout period from 30 seconds or allow the user to select it. Several of our complicated spreadsheets won't open

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Dear Excel User

Thank you very much for your time and passion in submitting this feature request. We are doing our best to respond to suggestions that get at least 20 votes. However, we are closing ideas with fewer than 5 supporters that have had no activity for more than 60 days, with the intention of freeing up your votes. Please resubmit your idea if you think it’s super important. :)

Thanks,
                              Microsoft Excel Team

• Improve the mobile browser experience. It absolutely sucks, and not everyone wants to install the full app.

It should be simple for anyone to join, even from their browser. GoogleDocs is much more streamlined here - This alienates people and causes them to ask me "why didn't I just make it a Google Doc?

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Dear Excel User

Thanks,
                                Microsoft Excel Team

• Improve navigation with frozen columns/rows

When editing a worksheet with column A frozen (frozen in desktop Excel and uploaded) and the curser in column A, if the other columns are scrolled to the right at all I cannot arrow or tab to the right. I must first click into another column and left arrow repeatedly to get column B to be visible.

It should work like desktop Excel where a tab or right arrow moves the focus to column B and scrolls the view back the left to make B fully visible

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Dear Excel User

Thanks,
                                  Microsoft Excel Team

• Ability to edit metadata / site column data via Online applications as per Document Properties Panel

Rather than having to ditch out of Excel / Word Online back to SharePoint to edit the document properties, it would be good if there was functionality that mimicked the Document Properties panel in Excel / Word.

2 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Dear Excel User

Thanks,
                                    Microsoft Excel Team

• Allow Excel colour Green to any other Colour

Should be able to change excel in green to any other colour

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Pramod,

The Excel green is a brand color that is is recognizable and important to the Excel brand. While the shade or placement of the green may change over time, we’re unlikely to let it be completely configurable.

Cheers,
                                      Dan [MS]

• Allow me to save an excel file on my harddrive where I want to save not just download

Allow me to save an excel file on my harddrive where I want to save not just download

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately, the location of a download is something that’s out of the Excel team’s control – this is something that the web browser determines.

I’m declining your idea, so you get your votes back.

Cheers,
                                        Dan [MS]

• I want to be able to have a file exist in Onedrive and Yammer. I want to be able to edit the same file from either platform.

I have colleagues that use one drive and refuse to use yammer and some that prefer yammer. It would be awesome if 1 version of a file can live in both places so if it is edited on yammer it updates onedrive's file and vice versa, It would probably be best to create an option when uploading the file on one platform to choose to link it to the other platform.

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • I'm sorry I'm not a computer genius!! But things on my computer that used to work, don't, and I need to print reports, etc. What is Pano??

Have real people to walk me through the problems I have...I'm not a computer genius, but need it for work...I'm assuming there are real people vs. the internet that can help me.

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                            declined  ·  Tamar TzruyaTamar Tzruya responded

Hi,
                                            I would like to bring to your attention that UserVoice is a tool for suggesting ideas for new product features and for adding your vote to existing ideas.
                                            For product support, may I suggest to look at various ways to get support here: https://support.office.com/en-us.
                                            I will close this idea and it will release your vote so you will be able to use it as appropriate in UserVoice.
                                            Tamar {MSFT}

← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base