Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Why not have an "excel light" without all the "improvements" missing so us uneducated people don't have to relearn the software every time.

Why not have an "excel light" without all the "improvements" missing so us uneducated people don't have to relearn the software every time a new version is released?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi James,

Can you expand on what you mean a bit more – maybe with some examples? I’m not sure I understand what you’re getting at here.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

2. Short link to shared documents

It would be nice to have short links to shared documents instead of long ugly links, so we don't need to use external shorteners for internal documents (we should't share links to outside of company).

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    info needed  ·  Tamar Tzruya responded

Thank you for your feedback. Short Link is a Host functionality and not specific app functionality. OneDrive Consumer and Box support it. SharePoint and OneDrive for business require using a free SP app or 3rd party tools. Hope this answer your feedback, if not, can you please provide more info?

Tamar [MSFT]

3. Refresh PowerPivot Data in O365 Excel from External Source

It is frustrating to me that external data refresh is supported in Excel Services in SharePoint but is not supported in Office 365. It is frustrating that to work with any external data you must open the workbook in the desktop client.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    info needed  ·  Anonymous responded

Did you know that you can actually refresh workbooks in Office 365 when you publish them on PowerBI? Try it out at www.powerbi.com

Is that what you were looking for?

If you have specific external sources that you are missing, please provide more specific information

4. Add ability to show pictures on Excel Online to view on browser

Our Sales team always view their excel documents from the different device from the browser. The pictures are on the file not shown when open from the browser. The pictures really important for users.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you give some more detail on what you are looking for?

Excel Online will already show pictures (JPG, PNG, etc,) that are contained in the file.

Do you mean shapes? (rectangle, circle, etc.)

Or, do you mean something else?

Thanks,
    Dan [MS]

5. When trying to enter a date in a cell (formatted as Cat=Date, Type=14/03/2012), entry is rejected - get Error in Date Range or Entry Format

When trying to enter a date in a cell (formatted as Cat=Date, Type=14/03/2012), entry is rejected - get Error in Date Range or Entry Format

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi David,

Can you give more specific steps that you’re trying to do – I’m not sure I follow the issue that you’re raising.

Thanks
    Dan [MS]

6. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

We don’t understand the title of your idea, and there’s no description. Can you make the title more clear and add a description?

Thanks,
    Dan [MS]

8. Add univariate scatterplots

For small sample sizes, it is better to show all the data. This is a movement in how data is being presented in the life sciences. Right now, it is hard to make this type of graph in Excel. There is a template someone made (http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.1002128) but it would be great to have it as an option in Excel in general (especially the online version which allows better real-time collaboration).

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m not sure I understand. I read through the article which speaks to the need for showing discrete data in the form of scatterplots, box plots, and histograms instead of bar and line graphs. We have always supported scatter charts in Excel and have recently added box plot and histogram in Excel 2016. Could you further clarify your request?

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

9. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you please add a more descriptive title, as well as a description of what your idea is (if it’s a Feature in Windows/Mac Excel, please describe the feature).

Thanks!
    Dan [MS]

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please provide further details on what you are referring to. Are you ask for maps to be supported in Excel Online or some other functionality?

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base