Feedback by UserVoice

Excel Online

Welcome to the Excel Online feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Filter Views (collaborative work), zoom and freeze panes

Hi,
    As much as I love using Excel Desktop version, online version is not that easy to use.
    Few ideas (for on-line I prefer using google only because it have features very easy to use):
    1. Filter Views - addressing the need of multiple people working in the same time, in the same spreadsheet but each on it's own view without bothering other folks

2. Freeze panes - would be easier just to "drag" a line (as is with Google) and freeze whatever rows, columns etc.

3. Rearrange the order of the column and rows - again referring to Google…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. data connections between excel online files

We created an excel file PARENT which needs to retrieve data from few diffrent CHILD excel files owed by (or shared with) diffrent users within the company. Each user controls and enters data daily in his excel file (CHILD)
    Those data entered in CHILD files need to be instantly retrieved in PARENT file (not manually!!) and based upon them we set some sheets in PARENT file to calculate reports and statistics. This is the point where the need of connections between files arises.
    We couldn’t find any way to connect files in Office 365 and I can not understand why…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Someone else has this workbook locked - force unlock

I want the option for unlocking the document. Now I have to do it by a workaround
    - copy workbook to file with new name
    - delete old one
    - renaming the new one to the old name

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Include IM or comments (best if it also includes approvals and signatures) while viewing or editing a file online for collaboration.

Include IM or comments (best if it also includes approvals and signatures) while viewing or editing a file online for collaboration.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add Notifications to team members

Allow an editor to assign work to a collaborator / team member via email. You can highlight text (paragraphs, cells, slides etc) and then be able to send an email to a team member telling them to perform a task.

The email would have a link to the edit point within the shared document.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Improve Security into Collaboration and Sharing

Provide extra security when sharing a sheet. It is very risky for an editor to be able to copy a spreadsheet or share with other people without the owner permission. Only the owner must have that option unless provided to certain people.

The person that can edit must only be able to edit. Owner must have a list what the editor can and can't do. Example Print, download, Copy in sheet, Share to other people etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. what is the use of an online file if it cannot be shared?

I cannot open a file with EXCEL online because it is shared. I thought sharing possibility is the main advantage of having online files???

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Why did you remove the option to overwrite files?

Why did you remove the option to overwrite files? It's really obnoxious having to rename a file. I share my files to coworkers and this really defeats the purpose of OneDrive sharing if you have to send them a new link every time because you can't overwrite :|

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Multiuser Editing when opening the excel on the desk

When having an excel file in sharepoint and opening it online mutiusers are able to edit simultaneously.
    however when we open the file on the desktop any changes done by one user will override the changes for another user.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Have an option to turn on colored text to track different user's edits in excel.

Implement an option that would assign a specific color identity to each user on a document, and be able to turn that option on in order to specify the owner of an edited portion of a document.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Fix Project & Excel to make it more accesible for working documents

Too many times losing work because of lack of programming and too much security.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make Mode for Instancing Spreadsheets Per User

This is just something I ran into recently, and I think would be really cool if it were implemented. I am working with a team where we are more or less developing applications in spreadsheets (simple stuff, working on just local data). We like the idea of hosting them online so users can jump on the web version of Excel and use the app. The issue with that is that everyone opens the same version of the spreadsheet, so only one person can really use it at a time. It would be awesome if there could be a mode or…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Search for Smart Art within Excel

I would like to be able to use Excel Online, but keep getting a prompt that says my workbook contains Smart Art. I cannot find it within the document. Allowing the Find function to search for Smart Art would make this simple to identify and resolve.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Renaming Microsoft files?

When you have to rename a Word or Excel file from explore by right clicking on the file, why would you have the "rename" option right below to the "delete" option"? I've accidentally deleted some many files that I just wanted to rename.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Linking documents in SharePoint

When linking documents in a group that I am a member and that is synced to my file explore the link address shows my username inside of the link and starts with (C: vs 'https://trueaerollc.sharepoint.com/...). It would be good to have it link to the actual documents that are saved in SharePoint so the link is universal and not governed in any way by me and my computer.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Filtering whilst in a shared workbook should not affect all users , each user should be able to manage their own view of the data

Filtering should not affect all users in a shared workbook, each user should be able to manage their own view of the data independently

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base