Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make Auto Save an optional switch on feature, not automatic

Why should the MS community have to remember to now turn this off rather than suffer for those who can't remember to save what they are working on?
    Having had our office upgraded (downgraded in my eyes) to Office 365 we are forever encountering issues with users accidentally oversaving crucial files with work in progress stuff. The most idiotic update to an MS suite in years.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Document will not open in most of the time. We need to do all sorts of exercise to open the excel document.

When we open a Excel file in Teams it shows Blank sheet. We do not know what is happening, In stead there should be revolving arrow to show document opening is in progress. After a valid time lapsed it can show error message.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. global setting per user to select open in browser or in client appliaction

My preference is to edit excel files in the desktop application. I know I can set it in the library settings (library by library), I know I can click on the 3 dots at each file and open in excel, but I would rather like to set in one global setting that I prefer desktop application.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Open in Excel link/button during loading screen.

It would be amazing for my workflow if there was a popup or button that would allow you to open in Excel while the online version is trying to load without having to wait for it to load or timeout.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Please put a 3D like button on the tool bar to edit in excel so it takes less time to jump off of the 'viewer' online code

Add a very visible 3D edit in excel button, because excel online is best used as a read only file viewer due to the lack of power / function compared to the windows client version

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Choose File Save Location For Newly Created Excel Online Spreadsheets From The Spreadsheet.

Make an option to determine what folder a new spreadsheet is auto-saved to from inside the spreadsheet.

When I create a new Excel Online spreadsheet, it is auto-saved in my root Onedrive folder. After I'm done with the spreadsheet, I then have to go to Onedrive and move it to the folder I want it in. Wouldn't make more sense to be able to determine the desired folder location from inside the spreadsheet?

To me, it would make the most sense if this 'Documents' link was a drop-down (or something) with my Onedrive folder structure. From there I could determine…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. User want to open there file anywhere.

i want to open my file anywhere. this feature has no browsing option to open in my local drive file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Text Documents in Excel

Our Excel documents are formatted as TEXT ONLY, and yet they will not open in Shared Documents. We are required to open them in Excel which is cumbersome and then having to re-save. It makes it very difficult to keep up with the most current version and is not the way this program should work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Stop Kidding Yourself Microsoft, Office online is a joke.

Said it in the title. Better off when Office was on the desktop.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Can you create a pop-up notification for when I exceed 5MB before I save/exit?

I don't always have the file size committed to memory when I'm working. I'd like to see a notofication that says, "your file has exceeded 5MB and will no longer be editable online. OK or Cancel" so I have a chance to reduce the size before I close it. I have a file I have been working on and as of right now, I can no longer open it to edit it online because it's too big.

I think if I had known that was the case, I could have deleted some more data I know I won't be needing…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. If the scenario manager is stopping a spreadsheet from being opened then give the option to open without scenarios

If the scenario manager is stopping a spreadsheet from being opened then give the option to open without scenarios

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. can excel online show limited number of rows user is interested in?

If we can apply filters while opening the file to limit number of rows, it will save some time of users. Sometimes, we only need to see first few rows.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. I'm told: can't automatically save so I might want to download my work. But I don't know how to download my work. "Details" pop-up shd help

I'm told: can't automatically save so I might want to download my work. But I don't know how to download my work. "Details" pop-up shd help vut doesn't. I recommend a "Download Now" link right after that message.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Indication at bottom of screen to indicate that the current spreadsheet has been autosaved

It would be great if there was some sort of indication to say that the current spreadsheet that the user is working in has been autosaved. This would give the user more confidence before closing the tab and just assuming/hoping that their latest changes were saved.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. it is a nightmare for me to log to update my record in the UK FILE TRACKER via Excel Online

Option 1 : create and using a proper online system/software instead of Excel Online. access using ID to track the last update.

Option 2:
    Split the entry by countries instead of putting all eggs into 1 basket,
    this will ease the over-loading of the file and allow faster opening and saving the data. most important more work efficient.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Download or save excel online.

You can't "save-as" and you can't download when you open a file via an emailed link from a guest. Can't copy into desktop excel app as the data set it too large. The capability to export is there, just not accessible when it's online.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Download or save excel online.

You can't "save-as" and you can't download when you open a file via an emailed link. Can't copy into desktop excel app as the data set it too large. The capability to export is there, just not accessible when it's online.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base