Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for the web

Welcome to the web version of Excel's feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. internal limit is preventing the opening of a file,

suggest a contact who can help evaluate/change that limit

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Hide or disable the "Edit in Excel" option when users read or open a document from a SharePoint library in Excel Online

Useers who have ReadOnly permission for a SharePoint Library see the "Edit in Excel" option displayed to them. This will fail when they click since they do not have permission.
    reported by a customer on the SPYam Yammer network
    https://www.yammer.com/spyam/#/threads/show?threadId=791261832

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add ability to notify user who is blocking access that other's need access

When opening a sheet and discovering that the sheet is locked because someone is accessing the sheet with Excel, we should have a button that will notify the user that I am requesting access.

This would encourage a discussion between the Excel and Excel Online user.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to open Excel Online in Edit mode by default or link to edit mode

Currently I need to click Open on Excel Online or Open Excel if I want to edit a workbook. If I have edit permissions, it should open in edit mode by default on Excel Online. At the very least we should be able to add a URL argument to allow it

448 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

155 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Accepting Votes  ·  Tamar Tzruya responded

Thanks for your feedback! We’re reviewing your suggestion. I would like to clarify: If sharing through SP the URL parameters are hashed. When a user edit an Excel file and copy the URL for sharing over email the user can choose to change the action to edit.
    Remember, the more votes a suggestion gets, the more likely it is that we’ll do it.

Tamar [MSFT]

5. Add accessibility mode to Excel and power point.

I would like to have my students be able to download excel and powerpoint in accessibility mode like Word does.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. open file on specific sheet

wouldnt it be nice if its possible to recall a specific sheet when opening an excel file.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add an Analyse button on the "Compatibility Report"

I would like to get some specific info when opening the file produces the Compatibility Report, so that I can remove the unsupported features from the spreadsheet. My suggestion is an Analyse button that will tell me what specifically is causing the issue.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. why can't i open an email excel file in excel online without downloading it first?

When I get an Excel file as an email attachment, I'd like to open it in Excel online (Office 365) and be able to edit it. Seems like I must download it first, then open it again before I can edit it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Ability to open any file, even if not editable

I have some files that have macros in them that I would like to be able to view without running the macros.
    It would be even better if I could add data to them and not break the macro portion so when I open later in a desktop version I can run the macros on the new data.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Save as PDF

To be able to save as PDF right to Onedrive.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Save as CSV

It would be great if you could add "Save as CSV" file format to the Save As feature.

260 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Accepting Votes  ·  18 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. "saved" status of workbook

Give users feedback on the "saved" status of a workbook--Explicitly SAY that the workbook is saved rather than leaving us to assume nothing went wrong

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Anonymous responded

Thanks for the suggestion. This is something we hear from many customers and are already experimenting with.
    We would appreciate any specific suggestions on what kind of indication would be most effective for you.

13. Save to a desired area of sharepoint

I have master files I use as templates, it would be nice to be able to save different versions directly into different SharePoint folders eg currently it will only let me save to the folder the file is currently say templates but if I then use the template and want to save it in "January" I have to do this locally or open to sharepoint windows in ie 11 and move the file across.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Accepting Votes  ·  Tamar Tzruya responded

Thanks for your feedback! We’re reviewing your suggestion. Remember, the more votes a suggestion gets, the more likely it is that we’ll do it.

Tamar [MSFT]

15. Opening files on OneDrive, give choice of on-line or local app instead of always on-line.

When opening files on OneDrive, give the user the choice of using on-line or local app instead of always on-line. I waste significant time trying switch over from on-line Excel to full Excel and this is very annoying.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. I guess big file we try to open give downloading message which is not clearly visible to user ending up user like me clicking multiple time

I guess big file we try to open give downloading message which is not clearly visible to user ending up user like me clicking multiple time

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Ability to change file name in Office 365 version by pasting text into the top middle field

Ability to change file name in Office 365 version by pasting text into the top middle field

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. save only highlighted area

you should be able to save only the area you have highlighted

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base