Feedback by UserVoice

Excel Online

Welcome to the Excel Online feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow locking of cells, rows or columns per user when files are shared.

Please add a functionality that would enable the locking of cells, rows or columns for a specific user/s.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. If trying to edit a file and someone else has locked it, have option to send

If trying to edit a file and someone else has locked it, it would be useful to have the ability to message and or request access to the file from within the popup.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Files are Checked Out - But Excel Online does not tell who checked it out.

If a file in Excel Online is checked out, it would be helpful to for it to say who has the file checked out.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Excel files over 5 mbs

If someone share a link to an excel file and the file exceeds 5 mbs, you cannot open the file. There should be an option (prompt) allowing for a user to download the file provide through the link.

In trying to share a file from OneDrive on my phone, I have no way to share a large file that is too large for most to receive via email and too large for a user to open via a link

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. ability to share only part of the excel file with others

There should be option to share only few columns/rows/cell with other people while collaborating. It will protect my data (nobody can edit it) also other can see it & work/comment on it in the next shared column/row/cell.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. I have an Excel file with links to local folders and when I sync that file to Onedrive I'd like the links to refernence the Onedrive folders

I have a local Excel file with links to local folders, all in my local OneDrive folder, all synced to the online OneDrive. I'd like the online version of the Excel file to link to the online folders. And I don't want to enable the "Use Office to Sync Office files that I open" in the OneDrive Settings Office tab.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Share the same file in different folders

The ability to choose a file (or folder) and share it in multiple folders. Users in Folder A could have edit rights. Users in Folder B could have view rights.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. cell Comment allow @username to share content or assign task to a user

Please allow use of @username in comments in online Excel, such that someone can be directed to a given cell in case they need to be made aware of some information or a task can be assigned to that user. E.g. if someone needs to add some content, or confirm content, they would get an email to look in a particular cell or row to edit or confirm.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Please add the option to adapt text orientation on spread sheets. The lack of this option makes it very difficult to effectively share.

Standard excel allow the orientation of text and thus makes it possible to effectively label columns. The lack of this feature on the online version is a huge disadvantage.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. on Excel online documents, why the update by multiple users is not managed, Google can do that

when I try an access to an online Excel document, if this one is opened by a single user....no more RW access is possible. Google Sheets is allowing multiple users to work in the same document

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Please give file administrators the ability to remove someone from editing a file in realtime

Allow the file administrator to select people currently editing the file and remove them from editing in realtime. It's highly irritating to not be able to lock down a file or edit it in Excel because you can't reach someone who is editing your file.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. you should have an option to inform those who have a file shared with them that an update was made to the shared file

when you make an edit to a file that is already shared with someone, you should have the option to click a notify button that would send an email to the parties who have access to that file and be made aware of changes to that file. same concept as the calendar system in outlook. when you update the calendar in outlook it allows you to send a notification that it something had been changed. this would be very handy for those who need to know when changes are made to a file, and not have to login and look…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. comment replies and status

Please allow comments to have comments as replies (nested conversation) and allow them to have a status that can be changed (RESOLVED, RE-OPEN, etc.) much as comments are handled in WORD in offline mode.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. If I need to check out a document to edit it online, it would be helpful to have the option to check it out in the pop-up window

If I need to check out a document to edit it online, it would be helpful to have the option to check it out in the pop-up window

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Multiple comment authors per cell.

When copying one cell to another it retains comments but only allows one comment author.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Mature chat and log that is part of the the document's metadata

The ability to chat with other users natively within a spreadsheet is very important. I've seen references to chatting with Skype which is absurd. E.g. I share a spreadsheet with 10 people. Another person logs on and want to discuss something related to it. He opens up a Skype chat with me - conversation is hidden from the other 8 people unless we forward the "meeting minutes" - what a pain now 8 people have to either read this or file it - or just pretend they never received it. Or we open a 10 person chat - 8 people…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Provide an Embedding Configurator for Office 365 / SharePoint Online, like the one on OneDrive

In Excel Online on OneDrive, you can choose File > Embed, and you get a nice dialog that let's you choose the part of the workbook you want to embed, and a bunch of other options and then it will generate an embed code for you.

But, if the file is stored in Office 365 / OneDrive for Business / SharePoint Online, there is no "Embed" option on the File menu. There should be, please add it!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Fix it or get rid of it....

useless in share point.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. please authorize duplication of pivot tables

please authorize duplication of pivot tables

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Please add a feature to track individual changes made to a shared file

Please restore the historic "track changes" feature or create a similar new feature to enable use within Excel Online, where changes each collaborator makes can be noted.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base